Author Topic: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread  (Read 18757 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2018, 02:49 PM »
This post brought me back into Disqus

"BOYCOTT IX! Disney clearly does't care about star wars fans, they only care about their sjws and gays. I hope JewJew fails miserably and his movie is as much of a mess as the terrible VII and VIII. BOYCOTT IX!" - by Rebel the Hutt

I'm fuming right now. I hate people so much. We all suck
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:49 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2018, 04:22 PM »
A troll like that isn’t worth engaging. They just thrive on the negative attention.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Yeah you are correct. Sometimes I don't have the self control though. Needless to say the post was quickly deleted by Jayson
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2018, 04:47 PM »
I’d be willing to bet he turns up elsewhere and posts with at best a slap on the wrist if not outright immunity because some sites just don’t want to punish those people because deep down they agree with them.

I didn’t like everything about 8...  it’s ok to not like something in Star Wars and still like Star Wars, and not be a rampant shitbag.  What is it about today’s society that lets everyone’s racist sexist homophobic freak flags fly, who largely kept that **** to themselves before?  I understand if politicially you don’t like Disney (they don’t treat their employees well I’ve heard so I have my gripes wirh them too) but I mean just walk away if you literally hate the company that much because you feel they’re too far left...  lots of us don’t give a **** and just like Star Wars, even with imperfect stuff in it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Jayson has been a great example of doing the right thing when it comes to what's been going on with fandom the past few months.  And I appreciate him taking swift action to address bull**** like that.

But in light of this article and the research study that inspired it?  It calls into question a significant number of the online critics of The Last Jedi and the Star Wars franchise as a whole.  And it's worth discussing that:  Star Wars has brought together SO MANY people the whole world over.  It's a tremendous unifier because of the some of the universal themes of the films.  So it seems like an opportune target for people who are trying to sow division.

As for the so-called "fan" sites?  Well, some people are just content to be ********.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:33 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2018, 10:57 PM »
The entire KMT social media story is completely overblown.  The same "people" who harassed her online is the same twitter account that the entire TFA black stormtrooper controversy 3 years ago.  It's one twitter account with like 12 followers and some online site picks up a non-story that goes viral and no one does any read fact checking.

Kelly Marie Tran didn't have much of a social media presence until just before TLJ marketing kicked off.  She used social media to promote the film then stopped again when the promotion for the film ended.  She was not run off by bigoted fans.

Of course there's a vocal minority that are emboldened by the anonymity of the internet....but it's easy enough to ignore those idiots until people looking for clickbait get ahold of them.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 08:52 AM »
That's a bunch of ****.  Be better than that, Matt.  And if you're going to make a scurrilous claim like that, you had better be prepared to back it up with a source.  Otherwise, talk like that sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Kelly Marie Tran: I Won’t Be Marginalized by Online Harassment

By Kelly Marie Tran
Aug. 21, 2018

Editors’ note: The actress deleted her Instagram posts this summer in response to online harassment. Here she speaks out for the first time.

It wasn’t their words, it’s that I started to believe them.

Their words seemed to confirm what growing up as a woman and a person of color already taught me: that I belonged in margins and spaces, valid only as a minor character in their lives and stories.

And those words awakened something deep inside me — a feeling I thought I had grown out of. The same feeling I had when at 9, I stopped speaking Vietnamese altogether because I was tired of hearing other kids mock me. Or at 17, when at dinner with my white boyfriend and his family, I ordered a meal in perfect English, to the surprise of the waitress, who exclaimed, “Wow, it’s so cute that you have an exchange student!”

Their words reinforced a narrative I had heard my whole life: that I was “other,” that I didn’t belong, that I wasn’t good enough, simply because I wasn’t like them. And that feeling, I realize now, was, and is, shame, a shame for the things that made me different, a shame for the culture from which I came from. And to me, the most disappointing thing was that I felt it at all.

Because the same society that taught some people they were heroes, saviors, inheritors of the Manifest Destiny ideal, taught me I existed only in the background of their stories, doing their nails, diagnosing their illnesses, supporting their love interests — and perhaps the most damaging — waiting for them to rescue me.

And for a long time, I believed them.

I believed those words, those stories, carefully crafted by a society that was built to uphold the power of one type of person — one sex, one skin tone, one existence.

It reinforced within me rules that were written before I was born, rules that made my parents deem it necessary to abandon their real names and adopt American ones — Tony and Kay — so it was easier for others to pronounce, a literal erasure of culture that still has me aching to the core.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I started blaming myself. I thought, “Oh, maybe if I was thinner” or “Maybe if I grow out my hair” and, worst of all, “Maybe if I wasn’t Asian.” For months, I went down a spiral of self-hate, into the darkest recesses of my mind, places where I tore myself apart, where I put their words above my own self-worth.

And it was then that I realized I had been lied to.

I had been brainwashed into believing that my existence was limited to the boundaries of another person’s approval. I had been tricked into thinking that my body was not my own, that I was beautiful only if someone else believed it, regardless of my own opinion. I had been told and retold this by everyone: by the media, by Hollywood, by companies that profited from my insecurities, manipulating me so that I would buy their clothes, their makeup, their shoes, in order to fill a void that was perpetuated by them in the first place.

Yes, I have been lied to. We all have.

And it was in this realization that I felt a different shame — not a shame for who I was, but a shame for the world I grew up in. And a shame for how that world treats anyone who is different.

I am not the first person to have grown up this way. This is what it is to grow up as a person of color in a white-dominated world. This is what it is to be a woman in a society that has taught its daughters that we are worthy of love only if we are deemed attractive by its sons. This is the world I grew up in, but not the world I want to leave behind.

I want to live in a world where children of color don’t spend their entire adolescence wishing to be white. I want to live in a world where women are not subjected to scrutiny for their appearance, or their actions, or their general existence. I want to live in a world where people of all races, religions, socioeconomic classes, sexual orientations, gender identities and abilities are seen as what they have always been: human beings.

This is the world I want to live in. And this is the world that I will continue to work toward.

These are the thoughts that run through my head every time I pick up a script or a screenplay or a book. I know the opportunity given to me is rare. I know that I now belong to a small group of privileged people who get to tell stories for a living, stories that are heard and seen and digested by a world that for so long has tasted only one thing. I know how important that is. And I am not giving up.

You might know me as Kelly.

I am the first woman of color to have a leading role in a “Star Wars” movie.

I am the first Asian woman to appear on the cover of Vanity Fair.

My real name is Loan. And I am just getting started.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:54 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2019, 08:08 PM »
Exciting day to see our first new figure from ROS. And I'm so happy the sad trolls get their chance to pounce.