Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114944 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Sweet ride. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2010, 01:37 PM »
This tanker truck full of gasoline made it impossible for me to get home last night. Most of the truck was completly burned away except the engine and undercarriage. After standing still for hours on surface streets, I decided to head away from home and went to Downtown Disney to watch Prince of Peria last night until eleven. The traffic was still incredibly bad. I guess this is what happens when you shut down the busiest freeway in orange county for the entire day. I hear it even melted the road! It could have been alot worst if it was under a overpass. Not a good thing to happen on a holiday weekend.

3 eastbound lanes of freeway open after crash

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/28/1977314/tanker-burns-on-calif-freeway.html#ixzz0pLDHpFJA
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:41 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2010, 12:18 AM »

Mine and my brothers

Damn, your family has good taste in cars.

SS or RS?  I can see a red logo on the grill, but can't tell which one it is.

Auto or Manual?

Did I mention I'm jealous?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:25 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Y'know, I like Camaros and the 67-69 were my favorite vintage cars but I honestly think Chevy missed on  this one, relative to the Challenger and Mustang of late.  I mean really nice looking car and I can see the look taking one back to the 60s versions but they didn't quite nail it the way other manufacturers did.  A little too much Corvette mixed in, a little too low and wide.  I'd rank it #3 on my cars that remind me of those 60s versions, behind the Challenger in first, Mustang second and ahead of the Charger which aside from the paint was an absolute miss. 

That all said those are mighty fine looking cars.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I've enjoyed the resurgence of the big 3's muscle cars as well. I let my big block Ford go on ebay a few years back, and some of these re-boots have really caught my eye. I'm not a chevy guy, but I think they did a pretty nice job on that Camaro. I think dodge missed by a bit more with the challenger- from a looks standpoint the challenger may be the best of the 3, but putting it on the 300 frame made it too bulky- a full .6 and .5 slower than the mustang and camaro respectively from 0-60. They just left too much speed on the table by settling for an existing platform to bolt the body on.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I'm a year or so away from realistically considering a "new" car (being a car that's a year or two old).  I don't plan on purchasing brand new unless the deal is just too good.

Anybody in here own or have extensive experience with the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited?  I like the four door model and from the ones I've looked at in auto shows it's looks like it'd be a decent vehicle that I can get my daughter in.  I've currently got an F150 super cab that is great for my wife, daughter, and myself, but the downside is it's really high off the ground (oversized tires with custom fender flares put on by the first owner) making it hard to get my kiddo in and out of her car seat.  Also, the back seat doesn't have a ton of room. 

I've considered three vehicles, but will probably pass on the H3 that I wanted as Hummer is probably not going to get sold after the Chinese deal fell through.  I'm not buying a car from a company that's no longer in business.  My other thoughts are to go back and get another F150 but get the super crew model. The only downside here is they are hard to come by unless they are several years old.  I'm looking for one that's less than two years old.  I'm a huge Ford fan and have driven them almost exclusively for 17 years.

My other realistic option is the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  I'm thinking the Rubicon model just because my buddy has acquired some land and it's all kinds of an off roaders heaven.  No real mountain trails as it's on the Texas plains, but great for mud, hunting, and camping.  Anyway, I'll be the primary drive and I really don't mind a somewhat rough drive as I know jeeps are known for in the city.  Anybody have experience with how loud they can be on the highway or on the city streets?  My wife tells me she doesn't care about the jeep, provided I get the modular hard top and not the soft.  The soft is pretty loud so I wasn't planning on that anyhow.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2010, 07:20 PM »
I know they've gotten bigger (longer wheelbase in particular), but I had an 03 Rubicon and loved it. The noise on the highway depends a lot on the tires you choose- mine were mildly aggressive (for Minnesota winters), and the noise was something I did not find troublesome, even with the soft top. I wish I still had it (ton of fun), but that thing was not the right vehicle to have when gas hit $4 + per gallon (it averaged about 14 mpg). I don't know how much better or worse they have gotten in that department.  :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I've enjoyed the resurgence of the big 3's muscle cars as well. I let my big block Ford go on ebay a few years back, and some of these re-boots have really caught my eye. I'm not a chevy guy, but I think they did a pretty nice job on that Camaro. I think dodge missed by a bit more with the challenger- from a looks standpoint the challenger may be the best of the 3, but putting it on the 300 frame made it too bulky- a full .6 and .5 slower than the mustang and camaro respectively from 0-60. They just left too much speed on the table by settling for an existing platform to bolt the body on.

I'm sure not going to disagree on any of those points.  But the speed factor has never been a factor for me.  I'd be completely happy owning a 67 Camaro with a 6 banger in it.  Yeah, the speed and power are cool, but for me personally totally unnecessary.  That's part of why I like the new Mustang because it has a range of options on it, from trim to motor size.  They're covering all the bases.  Are six cylinders true muscle cars?  Nope, but see if you save a lot of money on a 67 Camaro because it only has a six cylinder instead of a 350. 

I'm at the point where I'd really like to own  a vintage muscle car but now with the resurgence a newer model is ending up less expensive and more reliable.  I'd lose some on the nostalgia, but the functionality would improve. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Mine is only the RS, his is the SS.  Being back in school I could afford the SS sadly.  The RS is still a beast when driving it though which is nice.  I want to replace the bow ties, i hate the damn stock gold.  I switched out the gas cap which looks cool.  Contemplating changing the grill. Not sure what else to do. 
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2010, 04:04 PM »

I'm sure not going to disagree on any of those points.  But the speed factor has never been a factor for me.  I'd be completely happy owning a 67 Camaro with a 6 banger in it.  Yeah, the speed and power are cool, but for me personally totally unnecessary.  That's part of why I like the new Mustang because it has a range of options on it, from trim to motor size.  They're covering all the bases.  Are six cylinders true muscle cars?  Nope, but see if you save a lot of money on a 67 Camaro because it only has a six cylinder instead of a 350. 

I'm at the point where I'd really like to own  a vintage muscle car but now with the resurgence a newer model is ending up less expensive and more reliable.  I'd lose some on the nostalgia, but the functionality would improve. 

I couldn't agree more. The fact that my old Torino was a big block was one of the reasons I let it go- far more power than I needed, a beast on gas, and nothing cuts up the hands and arms like trying to deal with header bolts that are right up against the shock tower and oil pan. I'm leaning toward a 65-68 mustang with a 289 or 6 cyl myself, but the reliability of the new cars is a real enticement.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 12, 2010, 09:26 AM »
We picked this up over the weekend.  It is a newly restored '65 - with less than 500 miles in the rebuilt engine.  We have been looking for a while for an unmolested Bug that was restored, but wasn't show quality - so that we could actually enjoy driving it.  All of the parts are original with all matching serial numbers.  The only thing we need to do is take it to the local VW restoration shop and have rear seat belts put in for the kiddos.  My first car was a '67 - so my husband was intent on finding me a mid-60's model.

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Not a huge Bug fan but I know a nice car when I see one. 

Congrats on the find and make sure you drive it!  There's nothing worse than letting a nice car sit in the garage.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 21, 2010, 04:19 PM »
While I was in class today, my wife decided to take a drive to check out a replacement for our 1999 Olds Intrigue.  After a long test drive and a bit of negotiation, she is on her way home with a 2007 Saab 9-3.  I'm really glad that she was able to get this done by herself because this is going to be her primary vehicle.  She's very excited about the purchase and I'm happy to be out of the 11 year old car maintenance business.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 21, 2010, 05:26 PM »
While I was in class today, my wife decided to take a drive to check out a replacement for our 1999 Olds Intrigue.  After a long test drive and a bit of negotiation, she is on her way home with a 2007 Saab 9-3.  I'm really glad that she was able to get this done by herself because this is going to be her primary vehicle.  She's very excited about the purchase and I'm happy to be out of the 11 year old car maintenance business.

Nice, Congrats buddy!  I'm wondering how this affects the other household projects?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #284 on: September 3, 2010, 01:48 AM »
Bit of a crazy week for me.  My Jeep died on Monday so I ended up trading it in for a brand new Jeep Liberty today.  I like the feel of this one over my 2003 version....seems like a bit smoother of a ride.  It also has some nicer features like a reversible cargo floor so it can either be carpet or hard plastic.

Not thrilled about having 5 years of car payments when it wasn't really expected, but it will come in handy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.