Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114948 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Right now?

My dad drives a 2001 GMC Suburban, and my mom drives a 2003 FX-45.

I myself? I'm hoping to get a Volvo 240...there's just something about that boxy shape they have that I find appealing.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 06:57 PM »
2004:

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I have a family. I drive a Saturn. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 07:27 PM »
2004 Silver Mustang :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 07:25 AM »
Black 2000 Toyota Tacoma extended cab, 5 speed, 4 cyl, no canopy.  Besides oil changes every 3000 miles, its had absolutely nothing go wrong with it.  It does have a cracked windowshield, though that needs to be fixed.  (I've been holding off until warmer weather, which is finaly here. New England is now getting the warm days that Scott had yesterday)

The wife drives a 2000 Jeep Cherokee classic, 5 speed 2 door.  I would have prefered a four door (easier access to the back seat) because her vehicle is going to be the family vehicle once the kids arrive (at least a year away before we even start thinking about it).  My truck, while it can hold a baby seat in the extended cab, isn't really made for transporting a family.

The wife stills drives the Jeep, but my vehicle is now going to be the family vehicle once the baby comes.  Because of the car seat issue, I had to buy a new vehicle.  I stayed with what I know, just bigger.  2005 Toyota Tacoma, four door V6 automatic (got tired of shifting in traffic).  A few days after I got it, I went and got a roll up cover installed for more storage.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2005, 09:19 AM »
Right now we drive a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.  Some people aren't big fans of SUVs I know, but we're really happy with it.  Its the 2nd one we've owned actually, and I think we plan on just keeping this one once it is all paid off (can't wait for that).  Otherwise, the other car we have is the same one I had since I went off to college 10 years ago...a 1991 Grand Prix SE.  It still runs well, but we basically just keep it as a "back up".  We're fortunate that we could really just get by with one car, with our schedules/work and everything, so we really only drive the Jeep for the most part.  Once it is paid off, we'll probably look into getting a newer car....not sure what yet though.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2005, 10:10 AM »
2000 Mazda MPV minivan (zoom zoom)
1986 BMW 318i

Depends on who's picking up/dropping off the monsters as to which car I drive.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Some people aren't big fans of SUVs I know, but we're really happy with it. 

I don't like SUV's one bit - but I've owned one for about 4 or 5 months now.  It will be gone in favor of what I think is a much better car (for us at least) and I can honestly say there were things about it that I liked very much.  There were also things about it that I despised.

It was convenient for us because we were basically given the car and only had to assume the payments - and the payments are very reasonable the way it was financed.

As for the reasons to get rid of it... first there's the $36.00 per tank to fill it up - 4x what I used to pay in highschool for a tank of gas...  :-\  .  The way I see it, Gas prices are only going to keep going up.  I honestly wouldn't be suprised to see $3.00 by this time next year, and $4.00 per gallon by 2007.  In the meantime, the resell value of SUV's is dropping like a rock - down something like 12% from a year ago.  The car we are trading in next week is a 2003, with about 8 years worth of warranty on it, and 35,000 miles.  The Mazda dealership wanted to give us $11,000 for it - it was something like $25,000 new.

It's a 2 year old car with reasonably low miles, a lot of warranty, and is in immaculate condition, but we're getting around 40% of what it originally cost.  As it ended up, we are getting $12,500 in trade (we owe $14,000 on it), so we're taking a $1,500 hit on it - but I expect that it would be worse the farther down the road we got as the miles pile up and the gas gets more expensive.

I'll happily go from this:

To This:

Even with the higher payment, we are saving money each month when you factor in the better gas milage and lower costs on insurance.  Not to mention that it handles about a billion times better, has better pick up, has very decent cargo space, and is a crap of a lot more stylish and fun to drive.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:37 AM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2005, 11:10 AM »
We had a 1991 Corsica, which is now sitting in the parking lot collecting more rust, after getting this beast about 3 months ago..

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 3800 V6 Supercharged

With my junkyard hook-ups, we were able to tack on a few goodies..

Swapped out the stock cluster for a carbon fiber styled backlay from a 2003 Anniversary Edition LE Grand Prix, this cluster available for only one year..ever. Just my luck.

Custom trunk mat with the GTP logo, runs around $150..got both it and a set of AVS headlight blackout covers FREE of charge.

The dealership from which we purchased it was going out of business, only had 86,000,and we snagged it for $7,800!

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 12:41 PM »
I'm still rolling in my 1995 Toyota Corolla.  It's still getting over 30/mpg.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2005, 02:33 PM »
1992 Red Plymoth Colt.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2005, 05:37 PM »
My daily driver is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT - very fun to drive with it's 6 speed manual stick and 185 HP 4 banger.  Very convenient too since the back seats and the front passenger seat folds down - I can fit a 9 foot Christmas tree in my compact car.   8)

My wife drives a 2003 Ford Escape Limited with all the toys.  Peppy V6 is nice and I enjoy how well it handles the rough spots.

We're considering buying a camper, so a 1/2 ton may be in the future.

Someday though, I'll be driving this:

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2005, 06:35 PM »
I was driving a 1984 VW Rabbit GTI (my 3rd one) until it started having problems. So I sold it and got myself a 2002 Ford Focus. Its nice to have a/c again.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I drive a 1977 Ford Ranchero or a 1972 Ranchero. Recently sold my 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme. :'(

Not having car payments is nice. ;D  I bought my '77 10 years ago, and it is worth more now than when I bought it.

If I weren't going to spend the next few years in school and training, I would go get a new Mustang. 

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2005, 07:38 PM »
1996 Dodge Neon for the family life, and for fun:

A restored 'Cuda  Barracuda  ;D

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
Lead Editor
BLACK S. U. N.