Author Topic: What do you drive?  (Read 114937 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you drive?
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2010, 03:05 PM »
That's hilarious.  That definitely needs to be posted in the pit...maybe in the humor section.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Everytime I see a Smart Car, I half expect to see Mr. Incredible driving it.................
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 4, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but for anyone out there with an suv - do you have a bugshield and if so does it decrease your MPG greatly?  I've had windguards on my doors for years and have been thinking about "complimenting" them by installing one.  Not that I have a problem with bugs smacking my windshield too much, but I've got quite a few small dings on the very tip of my hood from rocks and what not.

Wasn't sure if there was a stupid car/truck owner QnA thread or not....   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #303 on: November 4, 2010, 07:55 PM »
No bug shield on mine, and I tend to avoid attaching anything like that (car bras, bug shields, cab visors, etc.) to any vehicle because they tend to trap water, and trap corrosive materials which eats at your paintjob anyway.  Nothing beats regular wash/wax and touching up the chips with touch-up from your dealer.  That's been my motto anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Don't tell Brent, but I'm looking at a used Prius for my long haul to work. . .

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 22, 2011, 05:32 PM »
Don't tell Brent, but I'm looking at a used Prius for my long haul to work. . .

As long as your long haul to work is in stop and go traffic I'm ok with it.  If it's mostly highway I'd wonder why you'd go after the extra weight of the battery rather than buying a Corolla or something with comparable highway fuel economy.  But either way, if you're buying a used one, maybe you'll finally be the one to answer how long the battery lasts, what it actually costs to change out and the environmental fate of the old battery.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 23, 2011, 11:27 AM »

If it's mostly highway I'd wonder why you'd go after the extra weight of the battery rather than buying a Corolla or something with comparable highway fuel economy.

It's mostly highway.  I owned a 2007 Corolla and averaged 30 mpg at 68 mph.  A close friend of mine routinely averages 45 mpg with his Prius at highway speeds.  

But either way, if you're buying a used one, maybe you'll finally be the one to answer how long the battery lasts,

I'll let you know but there have been anecdotal cases of Prius' going over 250,000 miles with no issues.

what it actually costs to change out

Batteries from low mileage wrecked cars can go for as low as $700.

and the environmental fate of the old battery.   ;)

I'm more concerned with saving money and getting to work.   >:D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:30 AM by ruiner »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Seven mpg is a pretty good difference.  Nice to see the Prius getting the same mileage as my 1986 CRX used to get.  250K is pretty good, no doubt about that.  As for getting a battery that cheap, that's the beauty of a large population.  I'm guessing a wrecker up here would charge probably four times that or whatever half of retail of a new one was. 

And I'm right there with you on the environmental fate.  Take it to China and dump it with the computer and IPhone parts.  I'ma gonna buy me an F-150. 

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I saw an episode of the BBC show Top Gear from a couple years ago where they put 1 gallon of gas in a Prius and 1 gallon in a BMW 3 series.  A driver got in the Prius and drove it as fast as it would go around the private race track they have on the show and another driver drove the 3 series.  The second driver merely had to keep up with the Prius (not hard considering the BMW turns, handles, accelerates much better).  Once the Prius ran out of gas the BMW kept going at the same pace and ended up going significantly further than the Prius (even though the Prius has much higher MPG numbers).  It was a nice illustration of it mattering how you drive, almost as much as it matters what you drive, if you are looking for good mileage numbers.

I had a '91 CRX where I got 45+ mpg on the highway.  It didn't have cruise control though; which made trips home from college labor intensive.
I am not the Stig

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32 PM »
And if you drove both of those cars down the highway at 55mph?

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 23, 2011, 04:12 PM »
Oh the Prius would probably win hands down.  If Top Gear were a show that accurately assessed cars, then SpongeBob is a show about cooking.
I am not the Stig

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Oh the Prius would probably win hands down.  If Top Gear were a show that accurately assessed cars, then SpongeBob is a show about cooking.

Depends what you're assessing.  Enjoyment of driving cars that go fast and handle well has absolutely nothing to do with fuel economy.  I'd rather have the Beemer  :P

If I were you ruiner I'd try and get a loaner Prius for a week to see how you enjoy the experience.  I know it sounds crazy but driving an Accord vs driving a Civic is a very different experience when you're just commuting.  I owned small cars forever and commuted long distances in one for a while and found the experience to be awful.  At this point in time, and acknowleding the future of $5/gallon gas, I'd still prefer to pay more for something that's more comfortable and enjoyable to drive.  If you're satisfied with the comfort and enjoyment of a highway commute with the Prius, more power to you.  Me being on the highway and mostly two lane at that I'll take the comfort and safety of a little larger (but still 4 cylinder) car. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Here's the dealio.  

I have driven a base 2007 Corolla and a 2005 Grand Prix with all of the bells and whistles (leather, supercharger, moonroof, etc.) throughout my many years of long commutes to work.

The findings will not shock you.

The Corolla was good on gas (30 mpg) but was a HORRIBLE ride - the spoiler would whistle on windy days, the steering wheel was too close, seats were uncomfortable, etc.

The Grand Prix was a BLAST to drive (and comfortable) but yielded only 22mpg.  That's a sizable difference when you drive 130 miles a day and compare that number to a Prius (conservative highway mpg = 45 = 2X more efficient that the GP).

Now when you factor in $4 or even $5 (doomsayers) gas, that's a huge chunk of change (y'all have calculators).

With that said, I'm this close to pulling the trigger on an '05 Prius that is being sold at an incredibly low price considering where this market is going (think back to the summer of 08).  Yes, it has high miles (still less than 100K) but what do you think I'm going to do with it?  

I've driven GM cars well north of 300K miles so I have full confidence in a car that CR continually ranked the best in terms of reliability and consumer satisfaction (pre-runaway Prius models).   :P

Yes, I know the ride will be a small step above a Corolla and the performance ('get up and go' sense of the word) will be worse, but at this point, I'm willing to trade that for an efficient means to get back and forth to work without having to get a second mortgage.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:52 PM by ruiner »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 23, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I'm not proposing or suggesting a car for anyone here.  I just want to say I think it's interesting see what people view as most important to them when considering a car purchase.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: February 23, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Anything under 100k is a baby, if it's over a 1990-ish car, Ruiner...  If the price is right on that, it's gotta be a steal.  My car's a 94, it's at about 115k and it's still got a ton of value to it because the body is in good shape, the transmission doesn't slip at all, the top's pretty good (no holes/leaks), etc. 

Almost anything newer with anything near 100k are practically like a car with 20k on it back in the 80's.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77