Author Topic: 2006 Exclusives  (Read 25511 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2006 Exclusives
« Reply #45 on: February 1, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Target

Some "new" items listed are:
Vintage Figures $11.99

So does this mean that the upcoming 2006 Vintage figures that we've seen listed are going to be Target Exclusive?  Or is this just a heads up on Target's price?   ???

I may have to call my pal over at Target HQ and see if I can get the skinny...  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 1, 2006, 11:52 AM »
I was kind of wondering that as well, the report doesn't seem to be real clear on that.  I'm guessing these might be things found in the Target computer, or that their "source" has heard about.  Maybe the VOTC figures (and Hall of Fame, etc.) are available at other retail outlets too, but these are just the prices listed in their computer.  This could prove very interesting if they end up being exclusive.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 1, 2006, 12:10 PM »
If they end up being an exclusive... I think they would charge more than that.  They charged out the @$$ on their ROTS figures, and the Grievous one coming up will probably be $11.99.  I would think if the 2006 VOTC's are exclusive, they'd try charging about $16.99.  Not sure though of course, so I'm looking forward to hearing what Jeff finds out.  I'm betting though that Walmart and TRU will get these too, and Walmart will continue to have the lowest price.

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 1, 2006, 01:12 PM »
These stores are going to end up charging too much for their products.  It's bad enough at $7 for a basic figure let alone the jacked up exclusive prices for vehicles, etc.  I guess the other retailers have not learned from Sam Walton yet.  A lower price means more sales = more profits. LOL! 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 1, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I don't think VOTC is/can be exclusive to Target.

The volume wouldn't justify it.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #50 on: February 1, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Making VOTC exclusive would be as ridiculous as oh, say, chase figures.  Wait...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 1, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I agree, other retailers should try following the Sam Walton formula.  Saves us money, increases their sales, etc.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 2, 2006, 01:30 AM »
I agree, other retailers should try following the Sam Walton formula.  Saves us money, increases their sales, etc.

Put more American workers into poverty wages. ::)

Seriously though, Wal Mart, I think, is the only retailer that can tell Hasbro to take their 'Collectors Tax" and shove it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: February 2, 2006, 03:04 AM »
Actually Hasbro's been sorta known to cater to other retailers to throw them a bone simply because they tend not to want to fall prey to the potential WM monopoly I guess...  I'm ok with that of course, more potential great stuff, but they're so goofy about exclusives.

I too hope VOTC isn't limited to one store.  Finding scouts should be a big enough pain in the behind with a general release, but if they're exclusives it'll be that much worse I'm sure.

I must have my Scout contingent to my Stormtrooper regiment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 2, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Not to get into a Walmart vs. the retail world debate, but how are their wages much different than an average Target stockboy?  Or a grocer?

Walmart saves me money.  Therefore, I like it.  If they have become a monopoly, it's because they have a better business model than their competition.  It's called capitalism and I love it.

« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 12:42 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 2, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Here, here.

Wal-Mart's business practices, to my knowledge, are perfectly legal.

There are many factors that affect their retail pricing....

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 5, 2006, 11:08 AM »
True, Wal-Mart has very little illegal practices. Many do hire illegal workes for clean up crews, but other than that, they do everything within their rights. The issue that I have is, dispite the fact that they have record profits and are the biggest in the industry, they are so at the expence of the worker. Their workers are the lowest paid in the retail industry and get the least medical benefits. It is also very common to fire any Wal-Mart worker who ever even thinks of trying to unionize.

There's a book I'd like to recommend, and it's not a very big one, called Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. It was an experiment on her part as she worked under cover to see how anyone can live on minimum wage in certain jobs, one of them was Wal-Mart. There's many great anicdotes about how abusive Wal-Mart is to it's employees and sheds some light as to why many people hate Wal-Mart.

The other issue I have with Wal-Mart is that they are so big that they dictate to their manufacturers, Hasbro being one of them, how much they are are to charge Wal-Mart for thier products. This forces many companies like Rubbermaid to involuntarily move production overseas for cheeper labor.

Now, in the end, they do nothing illegal and it results in low prices for the consumer and maximum profits for Wal-mart. Is that a bad thing? Depends on how the individual feels. I personally refuse to buy anything from Wal-Mart, save for SW, because of their practices. It may not be illegal, but because something is not illegal doesn't mean it's ethical. They can more than afford to treat their employees much better, still have nice proffits and still give us the lowest prices. Costco proves this. Believe it or not, Costco has sales proffits that nearly rival Wal-Mart while paying their employees a living wage and decent beneffits. However, what makes Wal Mart bigger is Wall Street. Wall Steet simply doesn't like to invest in companies that treat employees even decently at the expence of proffits.  Capitalizm at it's best, but at what cost to the American worker?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 5, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Sorry about my Wal-Mart price comments earlier.  I did not mean to start anything up like Wal-Mart is a better place to shop or anything because of their prices.  I just think some of these retailers go a tad overboard with their exclusive pricing.  I mean Toys R Us is going to charge $45 for the Republic Gunship?  Wow!  I just think they would sell more if it was say $35-$40.  It's kind of insulting really IMO.  Then the retailer will be upset because "they don't sell" well no $%^& when you mark it up like it sure as hell won't.  No wonder. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 6, 2006, 09:37 AM »
I don't think you started anything really, except a conversation. (I hope ;) ) But, I think your gut instincts about pricing is on the money. I too think the "collectors tax" on exclusives is excesssive and boardering on unnecessary. I was was using Wal-Mart to help prove the point. I think we were able to get the Twins at normal price simply because Wal-Mart told Hasbro that normal retail is what they'll purchase them at, and what makes the Twins different from the shadow trooper or the upcomming Grevious? An $8 clam shell? ???

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 6, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Great points Darth_Anton.

I hate to get off topic, but I would like to say that I personally know a handful of people who started at WM as low-level employees (stock personel, cashiers) and have since, worked their way up the ladder to decent paying managerial positions.

WM is no different than any other business, if you show initiative and demonstrate your desire to "grow," you will be rewarded.