Author Topic: DARK ILLUSIONS Photonovel (Complete)  (Read 174391 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: DARK ILLUSIONS - Photonovel (update MAY 19th)
« Reply #180 on: June 4, 2006, 08:30 AM »
Also, I think it's nice you have everything in one topic. Having to find old chapter topics for one series is really a pain. Chapter 3 could be on page 9, Chapter 2 on page 3, etc. It's nice to have them together and in order.  :)

You can sort threads by author (by clikcing on the author name).  I've used that in the past to get all the various chapters together.

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 4, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Oh. Thanks. I knew you could sort by author, but never thought to use it like that.  ;) More summer reading! (That's not on that junky school issued list  :P)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2006, 10:50 PM »
How far are you now?Also do you have TSC Obi-Wan & Greivous they'd probally look better than the 2 your using now (mainly becuase of the soft goods for Obi & the new paint job on  Greivous).
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2006, 01:34 AM »
It's been a while since we've had an update, so I thought I'd chime in with a few more specific comments.

as always, Longhorn, this is a terrific, terrific series.

A few thoughts -

Chapter 31 - You do such a great job with the established SW characters that I can hear the actors' voices in my head.  Another great job.  Even your talky scenes are great fun.  And all of these moments dovetail very nicely into the established lore of the films. They really do feel part of the "canon". 

Tiny, tiny nitpick - I had trouble with Palpatine saying "Sure!" to Anakin in response to the discussion about leading the 501st.  seems like he'd say something like "Certainly" instead.  "Sure" sounds too informal for the chancellor.

Chapter 32 - Wow, I can't tell you how much I love this scene!  The briefing is just awesome in every way.  I love the rows of seats, seeing all those clones together, the Jedi off to the side.  Gree is fantastic!  I love the fact that we're seeing a high ranking clone plan and brief everyone about a mission.  Simply wonderful on all levels.  And the brief anakin/obi wan dialogue is great, too, showing the humor and banter that we got to see only too briefly in ROTS and, to a much lesser extent, AOTC.

The shot of the rancor in the cage is excellent.  Very frightening, it has a very creepy, monster-movie feel to it.

So many of the shots in this scene are extremely well-composed.  The shots of Gree briefing, Gree talking to Cody, over Gree's shoulder, etc.  You turn a simply talking scene into a visual triumph.  Subtle, but very, very effective.

The Cody business is similarly great.  You really have a wonderful gift for dialogue.  the scene crackles with humor and the characterizations are spot on.  I continue to be amazed with your writing.  "Try not to shoot him by accident."  Great!!  :)

That's all for now.....boy, after re-reading this, I am REALLY excited for the next few chapters.  Keep 'em coming!!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Hey guys, thanx for leaving some more feedback.  I can't believe it has been a month since my last update.  I am really slowing down now... :(

Artoo:  Thanx for th suggestion.  I have not purcahsed the latest versions of Obi-Wan and Grievous b/c I already owned figures with those sculpts.  I do like the soft cloth robes on Obi, but didn't want to buy another Pilot Obi-Wan figure.  As for Grievous, I always thought his casing were in a "bone" color, versus a white coloring.  The Sneak preview offered the best version, IMO.  Either way, I have never seen the new Grievous figure on the pegs. He is the only one I have never seen from the Coruscant wave.

Quazar:   Always good to hear from you, buddy!  Thanx again for the compliments, always appreciated and they keep me motivated!

Thanx for noticing the character specific dialogue.  I try to write the dialogue while envisioning the character's voice.  Many people have noted that, and I am truly appreciative.  And I agree with your suggestion to change the dialogue with Palpatine and Anakin.    Change made!

I was very happy to read all the positive feedback regarding Chapter 32 (Gree's Briefing).  I wanted to use all of the Clone Commanders throughout the story, and this was the perfect opportunity to showcase Gree's intellectual side.  It was also an attempt to build suspense going into the final Act of the story.  And also to give a basic understanding of the mission at hand.  Glad the humor between Cody/Anakin/Obi-Wan worked.  Subtle humor can be very difficult to write in a serious photnovel, IMO.

Still working on the outline for Act III.  Just about finished with the next 3 chapters, and I hope to begin shooting this week, with an update next week or the following week.

I appreciate everyone's patience!  Stay tuned for the final Act!!!  8)
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2006, 01:08 PM »
those are the best photo novels i've ever seen :o there so awsome i mean im gonna try to make a photo novel but its not gonna be anything near as good as yours ! keep up the work with these awsome novels cant wait to see the new chapters! ;D
Momar and Fester

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2006, 05:16 PM »
Thanx for the feedback, 212th.  I appreciate your kind words, and they do motivate me to continue working on this very long story.  I will try to keep the story interesting, both visually and literally.  Look forward to seeing your story.   

I just wanted to give you guys some preview pics of the upcoming chapters.  The next three chapters are in various stages of completion, with one being complete.  There will be an update very soon! 

Stay tuned!   8)

Here is an extra preview pic, exclusive to JD fans:

-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2006, 11:05 PM »
Oh man, I hope those outdoor pics work out well. I've always wanted to try some, but I wasn't sure how they'd turn out. The pics look great so far!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2006, 01:48 AM »
This preview's got me really jazzed!  Bring on the updates, we love your stories!
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 23, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Can you start using the ROTS Mace again this Mace looks much better than the TPM version. :-\

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2006, 10:15 AM »
Can you start using the ROTS Mace again this Mace looks much better than the TPM version. :-\

face? yes. body? i so totaly disagree.... SA, you should make a custom - it'd be like your second, right? ;)  ;D

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 26, 2006, 12:51 PM »

I always thought TPM Mace looked more like Samuel Jackson.  The ROTS version looks sleepy to me!  :D

But I do interchange them as needed, since the ROTS version is a little better articulated......just a little better.  As for customs, I don't think I would chance it.  I still need to enroll in the Figure Anatomy class before I even attempt that.  ;)

The update is coming this week.  Just finishing up the dialogue and having some pics worked on by a special effects guy.  Stay tuned!!!  8)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2006, 12:52 AM »
Let's hope RS's reports are true & that one of the Mace's next year is SA!For your next CW story.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Let's hope RS's reports are true & that one of the Mace's next year is SA!For your next CW story.

As long as they don't use the head sculpt from ROTS!  A SA Mace is way overdue, although I will buy the Battlepack with the Purple Clones and another ROTS Mace.

Update is 95% complete.  Effects are complete and the dialogue is nearly complete.  The update will be up by Friday morning the latest. 

Stay tuned!!!  8)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2006, 11:08 AM »
LOL every time I see the little subboard latest post thing when I'm in customs I get really excited when I see "Dark illusions SA longhorn" since you update in the same thread. LOL can't wait till friday.

Adam