Author Topic: Jarhead  (Read 6184 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Jarhead
« on: November 3, 2005, 08:16 PM »
Is anyone else really excited about this movie? My friends and I are going to go see it tomorrow night when it opens. From the looks of things they have a really good cast, I really like Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper. I've been checking out the Jarhead site today, it is really well done.

http://www.jarheadmovie.com/welcometothesuck.html
"This is the way."

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
Re: Jarhead
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2005, 08:21 PM »
Is anyone else really excited about this movie? My friends and I are going to go see it tomorrow night when it opens. From the looks of things they have a really good cast, I really like Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Cooper. I've been checking out the Jarhead site today, it is really well done.

http://www.jarheadmovie.com/welcometothesuck.html

Its on my to do list as well. I agree, Gyllenhaal and Cooper are extraordinary actors, and Foxx is great too. This is based on the current war in Iraq, correct?
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2005, 08:28 PM »
No, Desert Storm.  '91.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2005, 08:40 PM »
this looks very good  8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I'm very excited about this one for whatever reason.... the previews look fantastic.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2005, 10:36 PM »
No, Desert Storm.  '91.

Thats what I was thinking actually, I dunno why I said current war. I remember them saying something about Kuwait actually.  :P

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 3, 2005, 11:25 PM »
I visit a site with a lot of SOF guys and they have commented a lot about the writer of the book this is based on and they tend to believe that a lot of the book was ****.  They seem to feel this guy had some kind of vendetta against the military when he wrote the book.

I can't comment personally about the book itself because I haven't read it...yet.  And I can't comment about accuracy because I wasn't in the military in '91 when the movie seems to be based around.  I know this is a bit off the topic of seeing the movie, but I may try to catch it if I can get the time.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: November 4, 2005, 01:10 AM »
I'd like tos ee it but it's one of those movies I'm thinking I can't get the gf to go see...

The shot of the A-10's buzzing over the infantry is just great though and really makes you wanna check that out.  Looked nice...  The music though is great too, at least in the commercials, and seems to fit the bill.  Sorta reminded me something of a modern version of Full Metal Jacket or some such, maybe a little more light-hearted at times, i dunno.

Looks good though to me. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2005, 01:40 AM »
I'd like tos ee it but it's one of those movies I'm thinking I can't get the gf to go see...

The shot of the A-10's buzzing over the infantry is just great though and really makes you wanna check that out.  Looked nice...  The music though is great too, at least in the commercials, and seems to fit the bill.  Sorta reminded me something of a modern version of Full Metal Jacket or some such, maybe a little more light-hearted at times, i dunno.

Looks good though to me. 

It reminded me of Full Metal Jacket a lot too.

I'm suprised, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jamie Foxx in it, that your gf wouldn't want to see it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2005, 10:30 AM »
My girlfriend despises war movies, but she's going with us tonight.  Probably because she likes Peter Sarsgaard.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Minor plot spoilers:

Be warned - every review I've read has said there's virtually no military action in this film.  It's a character/drama movie, not a war movie.  The plot focuses on how they get to Iraq and are disappointed that there's no fighting to do.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2005, 01:29 PM »
In response to Bill Cable (I didn't want to quote it cause it has a spoiler):

I wonder why they do that? Its a little misleading. They know you want the action, they entice you by showing you action, then they give you drama  ???

This was done with that WW2 prisoner of war movie that came out a few years ago as well (sorry, the name escapes me).  They showed explosions and everything in the trailers, but the actually movie was about a trial.  >:(

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2005, 01:57 PM »
From the sounds of this, it seems a bit like the Gulf War era movie "Three Kings."
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I wonder why they do that? Its a little misleading. They know you want the action, they entice you by showing you action, then they give you drama  ???

Because guys won't march out in droves to see a movie all about a bunch of guys sitting in a tent in the desert talking about their feelings.  ;)

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #14 on: November 4, 2005, 03:03 PM »

Because guys won't march out in droves to see a movie all about a bunch of guys sitting in a tent in the desert talking about their feelings.  ;)

I understand that, but there's ways to make it a mix of both, ala Saving Private Ryan.