Author Topic: Kevvo's; no more.  (Read 17498 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Eat at Kevvo's!
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Thhat's rheally nhot mhy fhault...whhen Ih fhirst rhegistered ohver hhere, yhou hhad tho hhave ah nhumber ohf phosts bhefore yhou chould hhave ahn ahvatar.  Ih jhust nhever bhothered.

Bhut nhow thhat yhou've mhade mhe fheel ihnsecure ahnd uhncomfortable ahbout iht; iht's thaken chare ohf.

Thhanks, jherk.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Kevvo's; no more...
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2006, 12:26 AM »
I first want to thank every one here for the kind words, good luck wishes, and advice I received. It's been a very fun 7 month ride, but alas, now it must come to an end. Several factors come into play here, and I'll try and explain them to the best of my ability.

First up was the postal system here. As several of you know, my post office here is ****. Some days I'll get mail, and all of the sudden I got no mail for about a week, and then I got a pile of mail all at once with different post marks. So certain bills came well past due, and really ****** with my credit.

Second is the price of things these days. Rent coupled with electic and phone prices was really killing me based on the small amount of buisness I was doing. I had maybe 100-150 people over the course of my first month stop in and wish me luck. Then they would go buy some food elseware, or tell me how good other places are. That doesn't pay the bills, unfortunatley.

The true final straw though was my dealings with Formisano bakery. Good rolls, ******** and dickheads for employees. I should fill you in on their policy's and the way things are run before I tell the rest of the story: All orders must be in before 2:00pm EST so the order can be delivered overnight. You are to leave your name and adress, and they deliver your bread inside to you, if they have a key.

Formisano bakery had a key to my building thanks to the previous owner, so when I started an account with them, they could come in and drop off the rolls over night. The rolls were good, but the problem initially started when they delivered my rolls inside a cardboard box with no bag inside. The rolls on the top would go stale before I got in each morning. So usually 4 or 5 rolls of the two dozen or so a week I bought were garbage before I even got to try and make money back.

The second part of the whole problem came when I called one day at around 1:45 PM EST to order some rolls, because I was nearly out. (I had 3 rolls left I think.) I left my order, and that was that. I came in the next day to open up, and there was no such bread. Then the bill collector (A guy named Herb White) came in with a bill, expecting me to pay for bread that wouldn't be there till the next day on their mistake. I decided to be fair, so I paid them, not quite expecting the situation to escalate. Boy was I wrong.

Fast forward 1 month. I called in an order at around 10:50 AM EST to order a new box of bread, after asking Herb time and time again to tell the deliveryman to put my bread in a bag so I didn't have to throw some out each time. (This comes into play a bit later.)

The next day I came inside my store to find no rolls. Immediatley 3 people came inside and asked for footlong subs. I had the meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, and condiments, but no sub rolls, so I had to turn them away. That cost me about 13-14 dollars there, because their service is unreliable, and therefor, those 3 people thing that I am unreliable to have my product in.

I called up Herb White and he said he would be on it. A whole day passed with no rolls. (I did go to the store and buy some lame replacment rolls for that day.) I was very irritated over the whole ordeal. The next day, still no rolls. Now I was flat out pissed. I called up again, and went through automated hell, never once speaking with a human being. Herb had his private cell phone to which I was able to reach him before, but now he was absent from the phone.

On the third day I came into work, finding the rolls, and the box saying "Free" on the side. I figured it was a reasonable gesture by them. I let my irritation slide, and went about my buisness. That was untill last monday.

Last monday the bill collector Herb came around with a bill. I explained the situation to Herb, and he basicly told me I wrote "Free" on the side of my box and that I was trying to rip them off. He told me there was a woman answering the phone now, and that I could call and try and straighten it out before thursday when he came around again.

Thursday rolled around (I'm quite busy) so I gave the place a call, and a woman answered the phone, and the following conversation took place:

"Hi, this is Kevin at Kevvo's, customer number 572, and I'm calling to ask if I can speak some one in billing?"
-"Just a moment."
*mubles and muffled convorsation*
-"Hello?"
"Hi this is Kevin at Kevvo's, customer number 572 and I'm calling because last week my delivery was 3 days late, and this is the second time this happened. I was hoping we could work somthing out. I spoke with Herb White on monday, and he suggested I call to settle this before he came around today. Also, the side of my box said "Free" on the side."
-"We don't give free bread away."
"Ok, well, because you guys were 3 days late, on the first day, I had to turn 3 customers away immediatley because I didn't have any rolls. That cost me more than your rolls would have."
-"Well if your only turning away 3 people you can't be doing very much buisness at all."
". . ."
-"Well, I'm looking at your record here, and if we were getting more than 9 bucks a week out of you, and you were a priority customer, we might handel the situation differently."
"Do you treat all your customers this way, or is this reserved for the new buisness owners aroud here?"
-"So your not going to pay for the bread?"
"I'm not going to pay you for a service I didn't recieve when I asked for it. I'm trying to work somthing out here, because my customers enjoy your bread."
"So your not going to pay?"
-"I gather that's what your deciding."
"Well then, when the guy comes to collect, don't pay him and you can go **** yourself."

Yes. I can go **** myself.

So then in comes Herb White. I tell him the situation in front of a room full of customers. He turns around and tells me I'm lying, and that no one said that, and that didn't sound like anyone he worked with. Told me I was a liar, and left.

So my next step was to get my key back, so I called back, spoke with the woman on the phone, and asked for my key back, told them where to deposit it, and I'm still waiting for it.

Various other smaller things built it up too, but that whole situation became the straw that broke the camels back.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them.

It was a fun ride.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Kevvo's; no more.
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2006, 12:47 AM »
Sorry to hear all that Kevin.

The one question that jumps into my mind though - is, were there any other places you could have been getting your bread from?  Threatening to take your business elsewhere is generally a good first step when they're giving you the run-around.

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2006, 01:28 AM »
Sorry to hear all that Kevin.

The one question that jumps into my mind though - is, were there any other places you could have been getting your bread from?  Threatening to take your business elsewhere is generally a good first step when they're giving you the run-around.

I agree that would be a good course of action, at that point i wouldn't even threaten though, probably just act as it seems their service sucks majorly.  Good luck with getting going or closing down. Either way sorry to hear of your troubles

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2006, 01:45 AM »
You need to watch The Godfather Part II. Seriously.

Sorry to hear about Kevvo's...I was really proud of you when you announced opening, and now, well, things like this happen.

Just Change your name to Don ______ and call them back. Try it. At least you'll get your key. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2006, 02:16 AM »
Sorry to hear that. But could you try another bread supplier before hanging it all up?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Thanks guys.

As I said, this bread ordeal was just the straw that broke the camels back. $10,000k in the hole now, and it doesn't look like it's getting any better. And Formisano was the SECOND baker I went through. I did tell them I would take my buisness elseware (I left it from my transcription last night because I'm exhausted; packing and so forth).

The first baker people (people reads as customers) didn't like because their sub rolls were too "bready". What ever in the heck that means, though they were quite fluffy. That prompted the switch to Formisano.

But all is good. I have a job offering up a couple of positions for me right now, both of which are good for what I need, and I can start paying off some of my equiptment and what have you. Plus they are treating me with alot more respect there now that I have owned my own resturaunt as it were, since I now know the ins and outs of the buisness.

It is sad to see a childhood dream go down the tube, but it's equal in releif, because now I know what it's all about, and know that it's the right decision to make for me right now. I'm only 20 years old (In May) so I've got a good long while ahead of me to figure it out, and maybe do it again sometime.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about your recent roubles Kevin.  I'[m sure you'll bounce back from this and eventually get another business going, and next time it will work much better since you have this one as a learning experience.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Can whe still misspell words, though?    ;D
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Sorry it came to this THIS time, Kev... I'm sure you will have another chance...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2006, 04:49 PM »
One word - alcohol.

Next time you start a business, incorporate alcohol.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2006, 05:22 PM »
One word - alcohol.

This is true.  I worked in 3 restaurants while I was in college, one was a tex-mex BBQ/sandwich joint.  It had an eat-in and take-out section.  In the take out section, when people came to pick up their orders, we had a 16 foot refrigerator section with 6 packs of all kinds of beer, hard lemonade type drinks and wine coolers in it.  Sold lots.  Good idea.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2006, 05:49 PM »
Sorry to hear that, man. Those kind of people really piss me off and I think you have more patience than I have.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2006, 06:05 PM »
One word - alcohol.

This is true.  I worked in 3 restaurants while I was in college, one was a tex-mex BBQ/sandwich joint.  It had an eat-in and take-out section.  In the take out section, when people came to pick up their orders, we had a 16 foot refrigerator section with 6 packs of all kinds of beer, hard lemonade type drinks and wine coolers in it.  Sold lots.  Good idea.

Sounds like a great idea!  Though it would be pretty tough for him to sell it until he was old enough to buy it ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Sorry to hear that Kev. Hopefully you'll open up another place soon.