Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335363 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« on: April 5, 2004, 11:28 AM »
With the big craze of Hollywood creating comics-based movies, it has been a good time for comic fans at the movies over the past few years....with more to come from what I have heard.  What are some of your favorites, what would you like to see done, or what should have been done differently in your eyes?  I can't personally speak for all of them (haven't seen Hulk, Hellboy yet....not sure if I will see the Punisher movie either), but here's some of my favorites:

X2: X-Men United - Probably my favorite comics-based movie, pretty well done I think (as was the first).  I hope this franchise is able to continue, as long as they can keep the same actors and keep the stories good.  Looking forward to X3.

Spider-man - Spidey was my favorite comic (and superhero) growing up, so I was pretty excited to see him come to the big screen finally.  I didn't particularly care for the "costume" of the Green Goblin in the first movie, but otherwise I thought the movie was pretty good.  Looking forward to seeing Spidey 2, with Doc Ock this summer (released on my birthday now :P).  Another franchise I hope can keep going, with the same actors.

X-Men - Good comic movie.  I enjoyed the second a little more, but the first was very good as well.  Set up some characters pretty well.  Like I said earlier, hoping for more of these movies (and hopefully appearances by Beast, Gambit, more Colossus, etc.)

Batman (1989) - I was pretty excited to see this movie when it was released.  Bats was always my favorite non-marvel character, and it was great seeing him on the big screen as well.  I think this was the best of the bunch, and Michael Keaton was surprisingly good as Bruce Wayne/Batman I thought.  Nicholson was a good Joker as well....and the whole movie was nice and dark, like Batman should be in my opinion.  I hope the reboot with Batman Begins returns these movies (and character) to the "coolness" they had before.

Batman Returns - Another good Batman movie.  I know some of my friends didn't care for it though, and some really liked it.  Nice seeing Penguin/Catwoman (pretty well cast I think).  I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one, but still very good.

Batman Forever/Batman and Robin - Yikes.  This is where it all started to go wrong :).

Superman - Still an all-time classic I think.  My wife really likes this movie, as she remembers watching it often growing up.  Christopher Reeve did a great job in this role I think too.  First one was my favorite here as well.  I saw all of the movies, but to be honest don't remember the other ones quite as well as the first...so I can't comment on them much.  There are always on again-off again rumors of bringing this movie franchise back, hopefully they do a good job with it.

Daredevil - Eh, so so for me.  Not terrible, but not the greatest either.  When I first saw it, I liked it...but now the luster has worn off a little bit.  I actually picked up the DVD, but don't know if I should have now.  Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't into the character enough growing up either, but overall it wasn't too bad.  From what I have heard, Affleck doesn't want much to do with this franchise anymore, unless Kevin Smith is involved, so this might be the end of that anyways.

I think that is pretty much what I have seen of the super hero movies (or remember much of at least).  The Spidey, X-Men, and Batman franchises are my favorites, and I hope they continue as long as they are well done.  I think many have learned from the mistakes of Batman Forever/Batman and Robin (at least I hope so), and try their best to stay true to the characters.  There have been other comic movies rumored to be coming in the future as well...some off the top of my head include: Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Ghost Rider, Wonder Woman, Elektra, Catwoman, etc.  Any others you would like to see...casting ideas for rumored projects, or anything else comic or superhero film related...I'd be glad to hear it :).
« Last Edit: April 5, 2004, 04:40 PM by mosnab »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2004, 11:32 AM »
Also, just read these today as well, various comic movie bits:

Release Dates:
Batman Begins - June 17, 2005
X-Men 3 - May 5, 2006

New Spider-man 2 Trailer (2 1/2 minutes long) to appear during "The Apprentice" this Thursday.

Possible Director Announcement for Fantastic Four coming Tuesday.

Also sounds like they are moving forward with a Hulk sequel.

All this news (and more) can be found on SuperHeroHype.com.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2004, 04:15 PM »
I've never been into comics, but I enjoy a good super hero movie as much as the next movie goer.  Not sure what my "favorite" would be, but I enjoyed the following:

Superman I and II

Batman I and II

Spiderman

Still waiting for Wonder Woman though!   :-*  I always loved the Super Friends cartoon when I was real young.  It'd be pretty cool to see them make a movie or series out of that, with all the super heroes together.  Aquaman was always my favorite, so I'd love to see him on the big screen!   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Changed the title so we can discuss anything comic-book movie related here, but feel free to still list any favorites, what you'd like to see, etc. :)

I always enjoyed the Super Friends as well Matt, wouldn't mind seeing that Justice League team on the big screen.  I think I still have my old Super Powers Aquaman figure from back in the day too, with "swimming action" :P.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Aquaman was always my favorite, so I'd love to see him on the big screen!   8)

Are you kidding me?  Aquaman was the worst Super Friend out there and that is including Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2004, 05:26 PM »
Are you kidding me?  Aquaman was the worst Super Friend out there and that is including Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog

That's probably the most stupid comment I've ever seen on this board, and that includes the nonsense about the T-Wolves having a shot at the title this year...   ::)

Aquaman ruled.  How much more cool does it get than being the Tarzan of the sea?!  Getting to swim and be friends with sharks, rays, dolphins, whales, and various other fish...  You don't know WTF you're talking about, dumbass.   >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2004, 05:32 PM »

"Hey they put me in the show because I'm a loser!  Let's try and think of a way yet again to have some battle at sea so I can have a Dolphin save the day instead of me...Mr. Wuss Head.  Never mind that Superman can also swim underwater and is virtually indistructible, Matt Colman loves me so I'm cool"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2004, 06:13 PM »

Exactly.  Look at how freakin' cool he is.   8)

BTW, when I see you at C3, I'm gonna beat the livin' snot out of you for bad-mouthin' my boy!   >:(

P.S.  T-Wolves SUCK.   :-*

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 6, 2004, 10:35 AM »
The director for the Fantastic Four has been announced (via Filmforce and SuperHeroHype):
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Tim Story Directing Fantastic Four
Source: Latino Review    
Monday, April 5, 2004

Latino Review are reports that 20th Century Fox and Marvel are going with "Barbershop" director Tim Story for Fantastic Four. Story also directed the upcoming Queen Latifah action-comedy "Taxi".

Filming is expected to start in August, so stay tuned for casting news.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, a story on the latest casting rumors (courtesy of SuperHeroHype.com):

Fantastic Four Casting Rumors!
Source: Latino Review    
Tuesday, April 6, 2004

Latino Review has added to their news from last night that Tim Story is directing Fantastic Four...

We've been told that two key people are in talks [rumored] to play THE THING and DR DOOM.

First up is THE THING, our source tells us that Michael Chiklis currently the star of TV hit series The Shield is up for the role as Benjamin Grimm aka The Thing.

Second is DR Doom our source also tells us the recent Oscar winner Tim Robbins is up for the role for Dr.Doom.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 6, 2004, 11:08 AM »
We'll probably never see a JLA/Super Friends movie due to licensing issues...I would though love to see an Avengers movie...even that though would get dicey, Cap and Iron Man are on the back burner for movies.  I say scrap them both and crank out something with

Captain America
Thor
Wasp
Giant or Ant-Man
Hawkeye
Iron Man

Drooling just thinking about it

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 6, 2004, 11:14 AM »
I always thought and Avengers movie would be pretty sweet, and if they wanted to do "spin-off" movies off of it (Captain America, Iron Man, etc.) after that, they could.  If they can do X-Men with all those different heroes, why not the Avengers?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: April 6, 2004, 02:11 PM »
Sounds like the guy who directed Barbershop got the FF directing job. I think his name's Tim Story.

So, are they trying to make the FF flick into a comedy?

My guess is they want a guy who will bring a family element to the the FF. I don't know, whatever.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 8, 2004, 10:52 AM »
Just thought I'd post that apparently the Spider-Man 2 trailer (2 1/2 minutes long) is set to air tonight during "The Apprentice".  We don't watch this show, but according to SuperHeroHype, the trailer is supposed to air around the 40 minute mark of the show.  It will also be online later on tonight.  I'm pretty excited for this movie, and anxious to see the full trailer.

Also, SHH also had a story that Ron Perlman appeared on the Best Damn Sports Show and said they just heard this morning that there will be a Hellboy 2.  I haven't seen the first one yet, but from what I have heard it has gotten pretty good reviews.

Also, filmforce has word today that movies centered around Black Widow, as well as Deadpool, have both been confirmed to be in the works.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 03:26 PM »
Did you miss The Apprentice like me?

If so, here ya go:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_...-man_2/trailer/
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 10:09 PM »
Thankee sai.  Always nice to catch it as often as you like.  Same trailer as showing in theatres.

Question:  How could you not kiss her? :o

Comment:  Here's hoping they make a better MJ figure than the lame damsel-in-distress-on-balcony figure from the last movie.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.