Author Topic: The Apple iPhone Thread  (Read 31767 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: The Apple iPhone Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Hey Jesse, if you could let me know what you did to get your pics from the crackberry to the iPhone that would be great. We're essentially trying to do the same thing.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Question for any of you current or past iPhone owners out there.  Like an idiot, I dropped my phone (a 4S) this weekend and the screen is cracked...badly.  I've had it just over a year, but didn't get the "insurance" when I bought it.  Everything else still works fine, the screen is just cracked (shattered) pretty badly.  I've seen online that you can try to "fix it yourself" with a new piece of glass and a few tools, etc. (and there are also places that do it for you, but it sounds like it runs close to the price of a new phone).  Since my contract isn't up for awhile yet, I don't know that just buying a new phone is an option...so I was considering trying to fix the screen.  Has anyone here tried this, and if so how difficult is it?  What is the best option, just buying a new phone? Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:44 PM by Brian »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2013, 10:01 AM »
I've actually seen kiosks in the mall where a guy will replace the glass on your iPhone or other smart phone with a large display.  Not sure about the cost, but I'm thinking that since that's what these guys do all day, they're probably pretty good at doing the replacement.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03 PM »
At the store here that does that they have disclaimers all over saying they're not responsible for breaking your phone totally and make you sign a lot of papers from what I've seen.  Beware I'd my advice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Aren't cracked phone screens an "in" thing among the hipsters? Some kids actual break the glass on their phone on purpose for status.

http://now.msn.com/cracked-phone-screens-now-supposedly-cool-among-younger-crowd
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Aren't cracked phone screens an "in" thing among the hipsters? Some kids actual break the glass on their phone on purpose for status.

http://now.msn.com/cracked-phone-screens-now-supposedly-cool-among-younger-crowd

Yeah, I had heard that before as well.  I guess it is another example of me getting older, because I don't find my smashed up screen cool at all.  More so annoying/depressing :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Both my gf's son's iphones have smashed screens...  but they both want new screens.  I told them it ain't happening till it's a free phone and to toss off about begging mom for it.  They're just careless and rough with them, cool or not.  >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51 AM »
Maybe check Craigslist or something for local people who swap screens? I know it sounds shady, but a guy I used to work with would buy the materials (which cost basically nothing) and charge about $20-30 to swap screens and such. Takes about 5-10 minutes to do too. There might be someone in your area who does the same.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 03:07 PM »
For those of you still on out dated Apple iPhones, Apple has released the 5s (with finger print reader) and 5c (for those that like cheap plastic color phones). iOS 7 is available with a new flat gui and is 64bit.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/ios-7-arrives-september-18th/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/apple-announces-the-iphone-5c/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-announced/

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Here's an app recommendation for those of you who are on the road a fair amount.  I've been using Waze a good deal for navigation, and the peer data it provides on traffic conditions has been pretty useful. 

But I also got into using another navigation app called Metropia.  The concept behind this one is to aid in fuel efficiency and minimize carbon emissions.  And Metropia has a reward points system where you can redeem points for gift cards. Since I started using it last year I have probably redeemed $200 worth of Amazon gift cards.  They also have Target gift cards available.  Currently it's available in parts of New York, Arizona, Texas and California.  If you're in these areas it's a decent nav app, and can be really helpful with a collecting budget. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #85 on: January 7, 2018, 01:50 PM »
My first smartphone was the iPhone 5s which I purchased just before the iPhone 6 debuted 4years ago.  I liked the phone and never felt the need to change until my brother decided to buy my 7 year old and 4 year old a sphero BB-8 and R2-D2, respectively, and they don’t have anything to run the app.

So the wife and I went tothe Verizon store the day after Christmas and picked up the iPhone X.  Even though I probably don’t use the iPhone to its fullest extent, I like this phone.  This is the first time I have a current phone, and it’s kind of nice.  The no home button and new gestures took a little to get used to, but IOS 11 is definitely made with this phone in mind.

I now need to get a wireless charger and hopefully the case I ordered from Amazon gets here soon...it’s quite literally on a slow boat from China!
This is the way.

I have spoken.