Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335410 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1170 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Some more information:

- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con
- Thanos is in it.
- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.
- ”THE SCRIPT IS INCREDIBLE”

Is the script ever not "incredible?" That's about the end of every first sentence out of the mouth of every producer, director and lead star when talking about every movie ever made.  FYI, they're usually not that incredible.  Except the last Hulk movie...which was incredible for differen reasons...most of them not good.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1171 on: June 29, 2012, 01:48 PM »
If Thanos is in it, I am even more sold. I actually like the cross overs and wish it was just a massive marvel universe of possibilities.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 29, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Maybe now people will buy that GotG Battle Pack that's been clogging up my Target's shelves for a couple of months.

E...

Those shelf-warming battle packs are probably the reason for the movie.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 3, 2012, 11:24 AM »
FF and X-Men are controlled by Fox, and Spidey is controlled by Sony so there is little chance of cross-over.  Those "universes" are separate from each other and the Avengers' "universe."

Not really the point - I just don't want a dozen Marvel movies all aimed at the Cosmic Cube, Loki, and Thanos.  I like the crossover style and the way they are tying the universe together, but I want more than one storyline at some point.  I've been reading Marvel comics for almost 30 years, so there are a LOT of other storylines I'd like them to eventually get to.  Hank Pym/Ultron and Tony's Alcoholism probably top the list for me.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 3, 2012, 02:40 PM »
That is a bit of an exaggeration though.    You had one film about the Cosmic Cube, and one film with Loki BEFORE The Avengers, which is designed as a cross-over vehicle.  All of the films stand on their own pretty well.  You did not need to see Iron Man or Thor to enjoy Captain America.  I think we've seen the last of the Cosmic Cube, and possibly Loki, unless he appears in Thor's sequel.  You can't say that The Avengers and the films leading up to it were about Thanos; he appeared for a few seconds.    I'll bet the next round of films does what this round did; introduces the antagonist (Thanos) and Macguffin that will appear in the crossover film. 

I'll be honest that I have my doubts that they can pull it off as effectively again.

I'll be we do see hints of the Pym/Ultron/Wonderman storyline.  I would be VERY surprised to see Tony battle the bottle.

I think the movies distill the comic-reading experience and blend it with mass-market sensibilities.   If you want a video version of the comics, then watch the animated Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it is really good.

I want filmmakers to adapt the rich history of Marvel for film; I don't want them to follow it with some insane level of detail.  I am not one of the people that cared that Spidey had organic webshooters in the Raimi films.  They retained enough of the essence of the character to satisfy me.  The only thing this change meant for Spidey was that Raimi never had to show him changing cartridges or explain how it works.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 3, 2012, 06:33 PM »
That is a bit of an exaggeration though.    You had one film about the Cosmic Cube, and one film with Loki BEFORE The Avengers, which is designed as a cross-over vehicle.  All of the films stand on their own pretty well.  You did not need to see Iron Man or Thor to enjoy Captain America.  I think we've seen the last of the Cosmic Cube, and possibly Loki, unless he appears in Thor's sequel.  You can't say that The Avengers and the films leading up to it were about Thanos; he appeared for a few seconds.   

Yeah, I can see that.  There is definitely a different flavor for each movie and an independent storyline that helps it take place on its own.  I guess I group the origin movies in as their own link to understanding The Avengers.  Even though Iron Man doesn't fight Loki, his movie sets up the character that we see in the Avengers.  I see these as four chapters (I'm excluding IM2) that lead up to Chapter 5: The Avengers, but they could stand on their own if needed.  I think Marvel has done a good job with that aspect.

I guess my concern is about the fine line between linking the universe of each movie and providing continuity versus just building directly from the same plot line.  I would hate to see the next four Marvel films all deal with Thanos or the bad guy now behind Thanos or the Cube or Loki versus taking our heroes into something new like Pym.  Spiderman was doing this pretty well - you had a developing Peter Parker that made sense across the films, but new baddies with their own stories in each film.  They even cameod Dr. Connor in one of the movies as a seed for a future Lizard storyline.

If the next movie involves the Avengers taking out Thanos and they have a small part with Hank Pym, budding pym-particle scientist then I am totally down with that setting up something new. If it's going to be an ongoing cosmic saga of them vs. Thanos along with the Guardians and whomever else, then I'm far less excited about the franchise moving forward.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 11, 2012, 08:59 PM »
"No New DC Movies Until 2015"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/11/no-new-dc-movies-until-2015

It sounds like after next week's Dark Knight Rises, and next summer's Man of Steel, there won't be another DC movie ready until 2015.  Not surprising really, as there hasn't been major movement on anything else for awhile now, but it does sort of stink.  It boggles my mind how DC has been dragging their feet on getting their heroes to the big screen while Marvel continues to churn out movies (and most of them pretty good).  I realize Green Lantern was a bit of a flop for them, but with characters like the Flash, Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Aquaman, etc. you'd think they could give something else a try too.  Some info makes it sound like the next movie after Superman next year will be a Justice League movie, then spinning off into other characters (sort of opposite the Marvel approach).

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20 AM »
I know this will be blasphemy to many, but I grew up reading both DC and Marvel, and I just don't think the DC "universe" is as... cohesive as the Marvel 'verse.

I think a film with Batman AND Superman would be strange...  I never really bought into the team-ups in DC comics as I did with the Marvel books.  I am admittedly more of a Marvel fan, but I do love Bats and Supes, but I think the second tier of the DC characters are a HUGE drop-off compared to Marvel's next tier.  I love the Nolan films and I even liked Superman Returns... 

But people clamoring for a Flash film?  Meh.  Would you go see a Quicksilver film?  Green Arrow?  Now looks like a second rate Hawkeye.  They couldn't get Green Lantern right, and he has far more interesting powers than Flash does.  Lantern is the only one after DC's big 3 of Bats Supes and WW that could have been capable of mainstream success.

I definitely think that Warner needs to offer Kevin Feige the keys to the studio when his Disney/Marvel contract nears its end.  The current creative powers at Marvel are miles ahead of DC.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1178 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Yeah - I about fell our of my chair at the suggestion of an Aquaman movie.   ;D

The only bright side for DC comics as a whole these past 5 or 10 years or so has been the Nolan movies.  Just about everything else has been a catastrophic failure.  I haven't followed what's happened with sales since the new 52 (though I did roll my eyes when I saw that in a couple months they're doing 0-numbered issues of everything), but I know the critical reaction has been mostly negative.  They just seem to be making one stupid decision after another.  From what I've seen of the new Superman movie, I don't have high hopes.

Doing a Justice League movie FIRST?  That makes no sense to me at all.  The main reason Avengers worked so well was because we already knew all the characters.  You could argue everyone knows Supes/Batman/WW/GL/Flash, etc... but they don't know them as movie characters.  It might end up feeling about the same as a Bay Transformers movie...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Yeah - I about fell our of my chair at the suggestion of an Aquaman movie.   ;D

Hey, it worked out ok for Vincent Chase!

;)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 14, 2012, 11:07 PM »
So, looks like Guardians of the Galaxy has been officially announced (and titles for some other Marvel movies):

http://www.newsarama.com/film/sdcc-2012-marvel-studios-guardians-of-the-galaxy.html

Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant Man

Apparently these movies are all part of Marvel's "Phase Two" (with the previous batch up to and including Avengers being Phase 1).  Also, Iron Man's armor from IM3 (rumored to be based on the Extremis storyline) was revealed:

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=46933

On the DC side of things, there was a Man of Steel poster debut with the trailer rumored to be attached to Dark Knight Rises next week:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=63835

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 14, 2012, 11:30 PM »
ANT-MAN?  YESSSS!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 6, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Marvel and Fox discuss Silver Surfer/Galactus swap for DD extension:

http://www.newsarama.com/film/marvel-fox-character-swap-galactus-daredevil.html

Apparently Marvel Studios is discussing a deal with Fox that would allow them to get an extension on their in development DD movie (they lose the rights Oct 10 or something I believe I read) in exchange for the return of the movie rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus.  I'd like to see them get the entire F4 back (really, all of the Marvel characters back), but this seems like a good movie - particularly with them going more cosmic with Guardians of the Galaxy.

UPDATE: Apparently FOX is denying this now, so who knows what's going on
« Last Edit: August 6, 2012, 09:03 PM by Brian »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 6, 2012, 09:52 PM »
As long as Galactus isn't a %^&* cloud again, it has to be a step up.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 6, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Marvel and Fox discuss Silver Surfer/Galactus swap for DD extension:

http://www.newsarama.com/film/marvel-fox-character-swap-galactus-daredevil.html

Apparently Marvel Studios is discussing a deal with Fox that would allow them to get an extension on their in development DD movie (they lose the rights Oct 10 or something I believe I read) in exchange for the return of the movie rights to Silver Surfer and Galactus.  I'd like to see them get the entire F4 back (really, all of the Marvel characters back), but this seems like a good movie - particularly with them going more cosmic with Guardians of the Galaxy.

UPDATE: Apparently FOX is denying this now, so who knows what's going on

Considering the direction that the Avengers took with the Chitauri and their "Ally", I think it would be interesting to see the Silver Surfer and Galactus make their way into that comic universe.  After all, the Avengers are about taking on monumental threats.  Silver Surfer and Galactus represent the kind of threat that the Avengers are about.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback