Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Super Hero/Comic Book Movies

<< < (262/282) > >>

Matt:
Thank you, JediDefender, for having a catch-all thread for most of the super hero/comic book franchises.

JediJman:
I'd love to see a solo Hawkeye film.  He's got a number of solo books to pull from and the current comic focusing on what Hawkeye does when he's not an avenger is excellent source material.  As a guy without crazy super powers, there's a lot more opportunity to character build versus the non-stop action we get from most of the Avengers.  Truth be told though, I'd love to see Phase 4 be a "West Coast Avengers" storyline where Hawk creates a sister team out in California.  I thought I heard mention of Mockingbird, so maybe they're already going this route.  In the comic, Stark handed the IM gig over to Rhodey, so Black-Iron-Man and later War Machine were a big part of that team. Would be a cool way to keep the Avengers going if RDJ and the other big names want a break or just limit their involvement to cameos akin to Sam Jackson's Fury.

Jeff - that number of Superhero movies is pretty insane.  I'm going to need a separate savings account just for Marvel & DC based movies.  It is crazy to see everyone jumping on the bandwagon, but that's a credit to all the great work done these past few years with the Avengers flicks.  I can't see every one of these being major hits, so it will be interesting to see what succeeds and what flops.

Anyone else hate the new numbering/titles being used for the team movies?  Why can't we just have Avengers 3 and Avengers 4?  Pretty soon we're going to have Avengers 5 Part I Chapters 1-3...

Qui-Gon Jim:
I do think that DC's whole lineup is one or two bombs away from jeopardy though.

Marvel as a brand is now closely associated with quality.  Aside from Batman, DC is very hit-or-miss.  I hope they take the same care with their films that Marvel has shown, but their track record does not work in their favor.

I think that Marvel went...  IM was a success...  Let's build a basic framework to inter-relate these next films we have on the docket culminating in The Avengers (Phase 1).  Then for Phase 2, they got a little more ambitious, and said lets plant seeds for phase 2 AND phase 3.  The success of GotG is a direct result of the strength that Feige has built up into the Marvel brand name.

I have a sinking feeling (and I hope I'm wrong) that DC will stumble over itself trying for that big paycheck without building up to it.

BillCable:
Green Lantern was intended to launch the DC Movieverse.  So really they're only a couple box office failures from scrapping the whole idea and starting fresh one more time. 

Man of Steel was a box office success despite being a critical failure (and really, REALLY stupid).  I expect a huge opening weekend for Dawn no matter how awful it is.  I think it's a big mistake bringing out Suicide Squad second - that property has almost zero recognition, and unless it's spectacular doesn't have a chance to build an audience like Guardians of the Galaxy did.  If it fails like GL, then who knows what'll happen with their slate.  WW would be filmed and getting effects done.  So it'll be released.  JL would probably be in production and safe.  But everything after that - certainly at risk.

Nicklab:

--- Quote from: JediJman on October 29, 2014, 11:25 AM ---I'd love to see a solo Hawkeye film.  He's got a number of solo books to pull from and the current comic focusing on what Hawkeye does when he's not an avenger is excellent source material.  As a guy without crazy super powers, there's a lot more opportunity to character build versus the non-stop action we get from most of the Avengers.  Truth be told though, I'd love to see Phase 4 be a "West Coast Avengers" storyline where Hawk creates a sister team out in California. 

--- End quote ---

A West Coast Avengers spinoff might be the right vehicle for Hawkeye to grow as a character in the MCU.  There are also his roots in SHIELD to consider, and he was mentioned in passing during last night's Agents of SHIELD.  But seeing the cosmic/global nature of the threats that the Avengers are facing, I don't know if the whole West Coast team concept makes as much sense in the context of the MCU as it did in the comics back in the 80's and 90's.

--- Quote from: JediJman on October 29, 2014, 11:25 AM ---I thought I heard mention of Mockingbird, so maybe they're already going this route. 

--- End quote ---

Mockingbird has actually been featured in the past couple of episodes of Agents of SHIELD.  So far she's been interesting, and I think they're working to develop her into more than just a featured character.  I hope they do.  Because Adrianne Palicki is HOT!!!!

--- Quote from: JediJman on October 29, 2014, 11:25 AM ---In the comic, Stark handed the IM gig over to Rhodey, so Black-Iron-Man and later War Machine were a big part of that team. Would be a cool way to keep the Avengers going if RDJ and the other big names want a break or just limit their involvement to cameos akin to Sam Jackson's Fury.

--- End quote ---

This would be a cool way to utilize someone who's as strong of an actor as Don Cheadle.  And expanding on his independent role as War Machine/Iron Patriot would be worth examining.  To that end, I also have to wonder if he's also going to be a factor in the Captain America 3 story line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version