Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 105590 times)

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1380 on: August 8, 2015, 10:39 PM »
In the meantime, Josh Trank is being petulant.  He posted to Twitter that he had a fantastic vision for the FF film, but unfortunately people won't see that.  He quickly deleted that tweet, but basically accused Fox of meddling in the process.  But looking at this from an outside perspective it seems as though Josh Trank wasn't prepared to step up to direct as big of a project as this FF reboot with a clear, defined vision.

Trank committed career suicide with that tweet. You just don't act like an ungrateful a-hole on world wide public news feeds like that.

+1  I was mostly put off by the character changes.  The guy playing Reed looks like a teenager, Sue looks slutty/confused, and Johnny's not black. 

My eight year old loves the Fantastic Four but said the same thing about the new team when  we say it today. His favorite character is Johnny Storm but said he didn't look like Storm in this movie because he didn't look like Captain America. I have to agree Chris Evens did a much better job in the role. Why did they have to CG up the Thing? He was much better in a non CG suit before. The story was bad and the editing and direction was confusing. The last too FF movies had better talent but needed better stories. This one had nothing to like.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 9, 2015, 07:44 AM »
One word review?  Dull. There was almost no characterization in this and they clearly blew the bank on The Thing and Torch effects (Torch effect was the one shining part of this movie).

Doom was a pile of garbage. Just awful. I could go on and on and on (just ask my wife) about how they screwed this up. This should be a cautionary tale that making changes for the sake of making changes is a bad idea. Respect the source.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Begin each day like it was on purpose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 9, 2015, 06:33 PM »
I don't know - they modernized Iron Man's story and that movie was great.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue. "

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1383 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03 AM »
They also changed Thor significantly from its original Marvel roots.  No crippled doctor tapping a stick.

I think the reason they keep failing with FF is because they can't nail Reed.  The Thing is easy.  Johnny Storm is very easy.  Sue is difficult to give much weight to, but a "strong woman" angle shouldn't be too difficult.  But Reed they keep screwing up badly.  He is the smartest man in the world, and he knows it.  He needs to be written as a patriarch.  A leader.  A beacon.  Instead he's written as wishy-washy and unconfident.  Awkward.  Maybe they're trying for the hero's journey kind of thing, and maybe it's origin-itis.  But I gotta think when Reed first strapped into his rocket, he was feeling like a god.  Not some dork who gets flustered around the ladies.

Also, when you cast a guy who looks like a high schooler in the role, it's difficult to accept that he has the gravitas of the smartest man in the world.

Reed should be Stark without the snark.  A living legend.  That might not jive with current sensibilities, but I think that's what you need to pull off the FF - a leader who the rest of the team respects and follows.

And of course, Doom needs to be the monarch of Latveria.  How hard is that to understand?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 10, 2015, 09:19 AM »
I think you're right about Reed. He has been the most off across all of the incarnations.  It's like Hollywood can't figure out that a brainy guy doesn't have to be socially awkward.  I mean, he does get Sue to marry him right???  Unfortunately it's been done so many times that I think the FF will have to wait a very long time for even a chance at another reboot.  Sounds like opening weekend was only like $26mil.  Hopefully that sends a message to Hollywood not to take so many liberties with the characters.

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23 AM »
or to use a better tested director.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »
or to use a better tested director.

I think that's the key here.  The source material is rich, without a doubt.  But I think this was a case of the studio not doing it's due dilligence when they sought out a director.  It's one thing to believe in the talent of young filmmakers and to give them a chance to do something great.  But when you're talking about a film with a budget of over $100 million, there's something to be said for experience and a proven track record.
"You were entrusted to lead the Republic." - Vote for Ven Zallow from THE OLD REPUBLIC in figure polls!

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 10, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Yeah, Reed should be older than the rest of them too, except for maybe Ben. He's a tweed jacket pipe smoking guy with grey sideburns the first time you ever even see him. There's a reason Ben always calls him "high pockets". He's conservative, older and uptight...the Mr Ward Cleaver of super heroes.

And Sue is straight up Doris Day. Sally Q Whitebread all the way.

If they think people can't relate to that, just pick another group.
Shemhamforash!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41 PM »
I just finished watching the Fantastic Bore online. What a piece off crap!   ::)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 10, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Yeah, Reed should be older than the rest of them too, except for maybe Ben. He's a tweed jacket pipe smoking guy with grey sideburns the first time you ever even see him. There's a reason Ben always calls him "high pockets". He's conservative, older and uptight...the Mr Ward Cleaver of super heroes.

I think Reed Richards early characterization was more of a charicature of a college professor / PhD / research scientist circa the early 1960's.  Basically an even brainier and work obsessed version of the archetype played by the Professor on Gilligan's Island.  But that particular take on uber genius is pretty dated.

I think the first FF films for Fox captured some of the character essence, but I think that they probably could have benefitted from some star power for the Reed Richards role, and perhaps one of the other roles.  I won't even get into the nonsense of Galactus being realized as a giant cloud since that was just ridiculous, and that second FF film could have been better with a different script.
"You were entrusted to lead the Republic." - Vote for Ven Zallow from THE OLD REPUBLIC in figure polls!

Feedback

Offline Master_Phruby

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 11, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I won't even get into the nonsense of Galactus being realized as a giant cloud since that was just ridiculous, and that second FF film could have been better with a different script.

You mean a giant guy with big boots and a huge hat isn't ridiculous enough?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:21 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi General
  • Deceived? WHAT?!?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46 AM »
The Galactus costume is a product of it's times.  And regarding costumes over a range of comics there was a perfect line from Cyclops in that first X-Men film: "What, do you expect us to run around in yellow spandex?"

But to think that lifeforms should be limited to a size that's similar to that of humankind is, pardon the pun, small thinking.  Especially when some of the discoveries of the Kepler telescope have revealed exoplanets in the so-called "Goldilocks zone" around distant stars that might support life yet are far larger than the Earth.  Exobiologists have theorized the possibility that some alien species could be far larger than humans.  Are they likely to look exactly like humans but stand over 100 feet tall?  Probably not.  But that possibility of life existing at a far larger scale than humans is an interesting concept.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Nothing designed by Jack King Kirby is ridiculous.
Shemhamforash!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35 AM »
You mean a giant guy with big boots and a huge hat isn't ridiculous enough?

Big Boots?  Wouldn't a giant guy with little boots be even more ridiculous?

#galacticusrules

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1394 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Eh - Galactus is only 30' tall.  Makes you wonder why he needs to eat so much.

Though I never really bought the official Marvel specs on his height.  He's routinely depicted with Silver Surfer in his hand, about the size of an action figure.  That'd make Galactus almost 4 times as tall.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj