Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335432 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2005, 09:03 AM »
SuperHeroHype.com is reporting that Paramount has signed a lucrative, exclusive distribution deal with Marvel for movie properties based on some of their remaining comic book characters.  Apparently it is a 10 movie/10 character deal, with the first two movies headed to the big screen being Captain America and Nick Fury.  I've always wanted to see a (good) Captain America movie get made...let the casting speculation begin :).

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Well the main character is definately going to be a tall blonde actor. I really don't know of any good looking, tall blonde actors, that are around his age??? Brad Pitt?? Would he be so inclined to do a superhero movie, no probably not. WHo else, I can't think of anyone. I guess cause the only guys I like, are brunettes. Farrel, Cruise, the guy playing Scarecrow.  ???
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2005, 10:00 AM »
I do remember one time, awhile back, reading that Brad Pitt was saying the one comic book character he'd like to play was Captain America.  Who knows if that was true or not, but I do recall reading that at IGN or SHH or somewhere, but it has been awhile.  It will be interesting to see these movies get off the ground, hopefully they'll be good :).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 4, 2005, 11:08 AM »
A little on the old news side, but a week or so ago there was a new trailer released for Batman Begins.  If interested, you can view it HERE.  So far what I've seen of how this movie is shaping up, it looks like a nice restart of the franchise.  After ROTS, I think this (maybe along with Fantastic 4) is my most anticipated movie this year.  Hope its a good one.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Cronenberg on "A History of Violence":

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/05/16/Arts/cronenbergviolence050516.html

I'm glad this one's being labeled as commercial, I thought his last few films were a bit too artsy-fartsy
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 02:14 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2005, 10:24 AM »
In a bit of X-Men 3 news, numerous sources (including Variety and TVGuide) are reporting that two more mutants will be joining the fray in the third installment.  Here is the supposedly "confirmed" casting:

Beast/Henry McCoy - Kelsey Grammer (Frasier)
Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde - Maggie Grace (Lost)

Some interesting choices.  Although Grammer probably seems like a strange (and old) choice, he does have an excellent voice for the character, and from the information I have read, it is likely to be the 355 lb blue fur version of Beast, so it would likely involve a lot of makeup work and/or CGI effects, so age might not be a real factor.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2005, 06:20 PM »
In a bit of X-Men 3 news, numerous sources (including Variety and TVGuide) are reporting that two more mutants will be joining the fray in the third installment.  Here is the supposedly "confirmed" casting:

Beast/Henry McCoy - Kelsey Grammer (Frasier)
Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde - Maggie Grace (Lost)

Some interesting choices.  Although Grammer probably seems like a strange (and old) choice, he does have an excellent voice for the character, and from the information I have read, it is likely to be the 355 lb blue fur version of Beast, so it would likely involve a lot of makeup work and/or CGI effects, so age might not be a real factor.

I hate to say it, but the Kelsey Grammer choice is brilliant IMO. As a long time reader of X-Men this makes perfect sense.  His mannerisms and voice is a match.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 20, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Topher Grace is now confirmed as a villain in Spidey 3. ???  Im confused who he would play.  Hayden Church will be the Sandman, Franco (Osbourn) I assume would be Green Goblin or Hobglobin at some point.  Any ideas?  I dont see a connection.   

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2005, 02:40 PM »
That is a strange one :-\

I thought the FF trailer was decent yesterday.  I don't like what they've done with Doom, the whole reinvention of the Marvel Universe with the movies is lame IMO

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 20, 2005, 03:40 PM »
Topher Grace = carnage??

I can't think of any other really sort of skinny villains that we haven't already seen the alter ego for in the movies.  We've seen any number of the alter egos but who's missing?  Weird.

As far as the FF goes, I can't think of anything other than the Invisible woman :o so I'll defer comment on Doom until after I see how it works in the movie itself.  The trailer is interesting enough to me.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2005, 07:26 PM »
Topher Grace = carnage??

I can't think of any other really sort of skinny villains that we haven't already seen the alter ego for in the movies.  We've seen any number of the alter egos but who's missing?  Weird.

As far as the FF goes, I can't think of anything other than the Invisible woman :o so I'll defer comment on Doom until after I see how it works in the movie itself.  The trailer is interesting enough to me.

Carnage was my only guess but it seems, well, totally off base.  Unless they are going to go after some really obscure character I cannot think of offhand.   I like the Sandman choice, he was always a fave of mine.  I could of lived with Lizard, Kraven, Scorpion, Shocker or even Hydro. I dont think characters like Vulture, Rhino, Mysterio, Electro would work well.  Does anyone think that they could still go with a villain such as Vulture making the characrter much younger than the comic?  I hope not. I could go on forever with Spidey villains but the general audience will have no clue.  I am a total Spidey Fan. 

And Scott, regarding the FF movie, I think it will be lame.  They have butchered the Doom character IMO.  I do like Mike Chickless (SP) for the Thing choice, but the whole look just does not do it for me.  Lame IMO. I would love an Avengers movie some day, but I think it would have to be done alot like the current X-Men films are.  A little dark.  Plus they could spawn so many sequels with so many different complex great characters. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:38 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 1, 2005, 03:13 PM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 1, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I read that this morning, it will be curious to see where the franchise heads next.  It sounds like Fox/Marvel is holding firm to a May 2006 release date, so they better get to steppin'.  It sounds like they have another director lined up already, who should be announced within the week.  I really hope the franchise continues well, I really liked the first two movies and it would be nice to see that quality continue.  With the wide array of characters available under the X-men team, this is a franchise that could really continue with various characters and storylines featured in the future...as long as the quality is kept up.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 1, 2005, 03:30 PM »
Topher Grace...who could he play? Jimmy Olson? :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Although a little in advance with everyone thinking about Batman Begins and Fantastic Four as far as comic book movies go right now, it looks like AICN has a little preview of the X3 script (or the first two acts of it).  Definitely a different type of movie, and I'm not so sure I like where certain areas of it are heading.  Some scenes sound neat, and possible new characters do as well...but other things, not so much.  Who knows, it might be totally off base, so we'll have to see.  If you are interested (be warned, spoilers are present throughout), you can check out the preview HERE.