Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335372 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Sounds like the crowd reaction to some Superman Returns footage shown by Bryan Singer at Comic-Con this weekend went over pretty well.  I'm very happy to hear this.  I'm looking forward to the Man of Steel returning to the big screen, and hopefully it will get the franchise off to a great revival...with more quality films in the future.  Also, SuperHeroHype has lots of stories from the weekend's information/events, and also have a new pic of Routh as Superman HERE.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2005, 02:29 PM »
I just wanted to state that Fantastic Four was the worst movie I have seen in a long, long time. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 1, 2005, 02:51 PM »
When you think about future comic book/superhero movies, what do you think can be done...and be "successful".  Although the many of the more recent superhero movies have done pretty well overall, which characters (that haven't yet been done) do you think can bring people to the movie theatres?  It seems to me that both Marvel and DC have their own "staple" heroes that have almost become "event movies" at this point....Marvel has Spidey and the X-Men, and DC has Superman and Batman.  After that, it is somewhat of a crapshoot.  Fantastic Four is getting mixed reviews, and really isn't going to be on the level of those I mentioned previously.  Spidey, Supes, Bats, and to some extent X-Men are the type where non-comic fans could be asking "hey, have you seen the new so and so movie yet?".  Fantastic Four is doing ok, but is probably more along the lines of normal movies...and not quite on the grand status.  Anyways, long story short, what do you think could/should be made into a movie?  Assuming that these would be done fairly well, which comic book heroes or teams can bring in the box office as well?  I think fans usually at least check out the movie if their favorite heroes are involved, so the casual goers is usually what makes it a success or not.  I'm listing mainly Marvel and DC heroes, since that is what I am more familiar with...but if there are other books/graphic novels you'd like to see or mention, feel free.  I think DC might have a little larger stable of "well known to the general public heroes", where as much of Marvel's big names are involved in teams it seems.  Hard to say though.  Anyways, on to the list(s):

Marvel

Already Established
Spider-Man - Has been done, will continue.  Big money movies...franchise...solid.

X-Men - Same as above.  Will continue, and has been solid.  2nd only to Spidey in Marvel movie world.

Fantastic Four - Has been done, likely a sequel (or two).  Not real well received by many, and not nearly as successful as the previous two (although it wasn't necessarily meant to be).  Not a "tentpole" type franchise really, but we'll likely see at least one more.  I liked the first one well enough, but it could have been better...hoping the sequel will be better.

Hulk - Rumored that sequel is developing, perhaps in a different direction.  I still haven't seen this one, but I don't know if the character of Hulk necessary has "legs" as a franchise.  I can't really judge though, as I haven't seen it.

Punisher - The more recent one is the one I'm talking about.  Again, I haven't seen it, but it sounds like it has done well enough.  Possible sequel in the works.  Not really meant to be a "big budget/big crowd" type of movie I don't think, due to the nature of the character.  For its "nitche" probably does well enough.

Blade - I'm not real familiar with Blade (or the movies), outside of when the character guest starred in other comics I had.  There's been three of them, I'd be surprised to see any others...at least based on Blade himself.  Nightstalkers spinoff has been mentioned I think.  Otherwise, this might be done for now.

Daredevil - I didn't hate the movie as much as others did, not terrible I guess.  Not a lot of sequel talk with this one, so I'm not sure where it is headed.  I don't know that it is a big crowd draw or not at this point.

Elektra - Bombed for the most part I think, but another one I haven't seen.  I've heard rumors of sequels though, so you never know.

Upcoming Possibilities
Iron Man - Supposedly in development, might not fare too badly.  I think he is at least somewhat known to the general population.

Captain America - I think Cap could be a good franchise direction for Marvel.  I think the general population is pretty familiar with the character, and the good ole "US of A" aspect of it probably wouldn't hurt either.  If done well, could be a great movie(s).  Supposedly in early stages of development.

Wolverine - In development, with Hugh Jackman.  Could be kind of cool, and would probably do fairly well.

Ghost Rider - In production, coming out late summer of 06 I believe.  Nic Cage starring, could be pretty cool.  His name might help box office as well, and although I'm not a fan in particular (although I don't dislike), I think GR has a decent following.

Nick Fury - I've heard this is in development as well.  I don't know how well this would do, but if they got a big name to star it might help (I've heard/seen Bruce Willis?).  I don't have a big opinion on this one, not sure if I'm interested enough.

Black Panther - Could be a cool one, and the character is supposedly going to be featured more prominently in comics as well.  Might do ok as a movie, due to the "cool costume" factor that kiddos like :).

Sub Mariner - I think this is in development as well.  I haven't really read his "individual" stories much...more so his "guest appearances". I'm not sure how it would do with the general public.  Could be wrong though.

Luke Cage- I've heard this is rumored to be in development as well.  I like the Luke Cage/Powerman character, and it would be neat to see.  Not familiar enough with his "universe" to know who could/should be in the movie.  Maybe should be paired with...

Iron Fist - This was rumored for awhile, with Ray Park (Maul) to star.  Haven't heard too much since then though, and I think it has cooled a bit.

Avengers - It sounds like it has just been relegated to "Animated to DVD Feature" status right now, but if done right, it could be a big event movie probably.  It would be cool to see the Avengers on the big screen together (the original team I mean, not "New")

Silver Surfer - Another rumored one, probably not one that would spawn sequels, but you never know.

Thor - I've heard this mentioned by Marvel guy Avi Arad as "our Lord of the Rings" type movie, so this might be on the way as well.

Others I am forgetting I'm sure, this is just off the top of my head.....

DC Comics

Already Established
Batman - Franchise re-started (quite well) with Batman Begins.  Sounds as if sequel(s) are on the way, and I'm looking forward to them.  One of DC's "big guns".

Superman - Starting next summer with Superman Returns.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the Man of Steel return to the big screen, and I hope the movie turns out great.  Could be a big one if done well.  Bryan Singer (X-Men/X2) is running things, and I think he should do a good job.  DC "big gun" here as well, and could be a nice restart to this franchise.  Superman/Batman crossover movie has been rumored for down the line in these franchises.

Upcoming Possibilities
Wonder Woman - In development.  To me, this is one female superhero that could do better at the box office I think.  Pretty universally known, and if cast well and put together pretty good, could be a nice movie.  Other female hero movies (Catwoman/Elektra) have been "teh suck" from what I've heard (haven't seen either), so it would be nice to see Wonder Woman do well.

The Flash - I think the Flash could be a good movie character.  Pretty well known, and could be a "fun" movie.  I'd like to see it, if done well.

Green Lantern - Was once rumored (with Jack Black...yikes), but I think that has gone away now.  Another hero that could do well in a movie I think, and would be something a little different with the "space" aspect that is often incorporated.  Not sure which particular "Lantern" would be the main character, but I'd lean towards Hal Jordan ;).  Lots of potential really here, with all the different characters from the "Core".

Aquaman - I think this could be a cool movie, and one that might happen eventually.  More interesting to me personally that "Sub Mariner" if you make that comparison.  Probably not a "franchise", but could make a nice movie.  Fairly good name recognition I think too.

Teen Titans - This could be a decent movie.  The cartoon show is popular with the kiddos I think, and although I haven't read it, the comic is pretty good too from what I hear.  Potential for a franchise possibly here, with the kid support.  Someone more familiar with the team overall might have more insight that I do....but there's a pretty good stable of characters here.  Plus, if they keep Robin out of the Batman franchise, this might be a good place for him.

Nightwing - I think he's a pretty cool character, and could make for a good movie as well.  Not sure how it would/wouldn't work with the Batman franchise restarting, but it is a possibility.  I don't know how familiar the general public is with the character, but I might be underestimating that as well.

Hawkman/Hawkgirl - Tough call here.  I'm familiar with them, but not sure how much they are with others.  Maybe not able to carry their own movie, but you never know.

Martian Manhunter - Same as above.  Good character, not sure about movie possibilities.  Not sure if it will be pursued or not...might best be part of a.....

Justice League of America - I think I've read in the past that this likely wouldn't happen, but it could be really cool if it did.  Definitely a "blockbuster" type movie with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern all involved.  Especially if they kept/were able to get the same actors from the other "individual" movies.  Like I said, not very likely probably, but could be pretty cool if done well.

Others....G.I. Joe and Transformers.  I've heard rumors about Joe, and Transformers is headed our way in Summer of 07 last I heard (Spielberg producing).  Both could be quite cool.

I know there are some I'm forgetting or neglecting off the top of my head, so feel free to add others.  These are a few from the "big two" comic worlds that could be/are getting made.  I know some people have had their fill of comic movies, but I tend to enjoy them when done well...and with Star Wars movies over, I like to look forward to flicks like this.  Are there any that you'd like to see, or maybe some you don't think should be made into movies?  Changes you'd like to see in the current franchises?  Sorry, just bored this afternoon, and I got to thinking about this.... ;)  Sorry for the ginormous post as well, just wanted to try to represent the characters I've heard rumored or that some fans here might be interested in.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2005, 03:01 PM by mosnab »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 2, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I like your insight to a JLA movie.

For any fans of Superhero team ups, take a look at the VERY VERY AWSOME and well made Fan Film Grayson at www.UntamedCinema.com It's one of my favories. Also check out www.ColloraStudios.com for Batman Dead End and Worlds Finest (Sups and Bats) also very well produced and awsome. :D

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #184 on: August 3, 2005, 12:35 AM »
Let's see...

Spidey3 - In good shape.  Sequel in pre-prod.  Same team that did the first 2.  Even though it had it's really dumb elements (organic web spinners, psyching yourself out of being a superhero) it was well-received.  Certain to make another $300M.

X-men3 - In bad shape.  Getting rushed through production with a new director and new crew.  They made some good casting decisions so far, but all the script reviews I've read so far have been bad.  They're gonna regret losing Singer.

FF2 - It'll do well enough.  FF was fun.  Hopefully they'll capture the magic of the book a little better.  FF was just a bit too campy with a disappointing ending.

Hulk2 - Long-term in development.  Don't know when or if we'll see it.

Punisher2 - P1 bombed.  It bombed because it sucked.  It bombed because the character didn't remotely resemble the character of the comic.  It was barely better than the Dolph Lundgren one.  P2 is supposedly coming, but I really hope they keep the suits off it this time.  It'll never reach it's potential as a franchise.

Blade - Done.  The Nightstalkers spin-off has mostly been written off.  But it was a good trilogy.

Daredevil - No sequel plans.

Elektra - No sequel plans.

Upcoming:

Iron Man - In long-term development hell.  I doubt it'll happen.

Captain America - Could be fantastic.  But with a real war going on, I don't know about them doing a superhero movie about war.  I'd just hope they'd set it during WW2, not try some contemporary crap.

Wolverine - Planned after X3, supposedly.  It'd certainly be popular.  As long as he's not ruined in X3

Ghost Rider - In post-production.  He's such an obscure, niche character... hard to tell how it'll do.  The same thing could be said of pretty much all the rest of your Marvel characters.  Nick Fury, Luke Cage, Sub Mariner... I don't know anyone who even reads their books, much less would go to a movie about them.  I guess we'll see if Ghost Rider does well.  If not, I don't see many of these other movies making it.

DC:

Batman & Superman - both set for multiple sequels, as well as a cross-over.  They should do well if they don't get campy.

Wonder Woman - I'm pretty sure the dude from Serenity/Buffy/Angel is attached to WW.  So it could potentially kick some ass.  They just gotta chase away rumors that it'll star Kim Bassinger (something I heard not long ago).  You gotta get somebody smoking hot to star, not somebody over-the-hill.

Rest of the cast of JLA and JLA - that's a tough sell.  None of the characters are all that popular.  Each is a bit one-dimentional, but together the movie would be too expensive.  You can't do a small-scope JLA movie like you can a small-scope X-men... you pretty much gotta be doing something cosmic apocalyptic, and that's pricy.

Teen Titans - Now there's a hit for you.  The cartoon is HUGE.  A live-action version would be very successful.  And it could be done with a reasonable scope at a reasonable price.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those you're forgetting...

Sin City 2 - The sequel to the BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER (except for maybe... maybe Superman II) is gonna happen.  Much of the original cast will return.  The DVD for SC1 comes out in two weeks, for which I simply cannot wait!

Hellboy 2 - The sequel to the THIRD BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER is gonna happen.  I think all the original cast that survived HB1 is returning.  Should be some huge monster-ass-kicking fun.

V for Vendetta - Coming out this fall.  Based on the classic Alan Moore series.  Stars Portman and Mr. Smith.  I just read the graphic novel last week after watching the trailer, and if done right this movie will be disturbing and awesome.  We shall see.

I think that about wraps it up.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 6, 2005, 08:47 AM »
SuperHeroHype.com is reporting that Marvel Entertainment will announce on Tuesday its new name change (from Marvel, to Marvel Entertainment) and also the 10 picture deal with Paramount Pictures.  Here is the list of heroes schedules to be brought to the big screen under the new deal:

Captain America
The Avengers
Nick Fury
Black Panther
Ant Man
Cloak and Dagger
Dr. Strange
Hawkeye
Power Pack
Shang Chi

Looks like more heroes will be coming to theatres over the years to come.  Some sound pretty good and I wouldn't mind seeing, some seem like they might be stretching it a bit.  Any opinions on the lineup?

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 6, 2005, 09:14 AM »
Once you get to Black Panther, things start to get reaaaaallly Iffy.

I would much rather see them do feature films focused on some Villains, and bring in classic heroes to fight them.

The whole Death of Kraven would make a fantastic movie.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 6, 2005, 04:26 PM »

Hellboy 2 - The sequel to the THIRD BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER is gonna happen.  I think all the original cast that survived HB1 is returning.  Should be some huge monster-ass-kicking fun.

I really don't understand the excitement about the Hellboy movie.  I was nearly bored to tears with it.

Batman Begins, however, was amazing.  I'm glad to see they've left the goofy storylines and unrealistic stunts behind.  This was one of the best Super hero movies I've ever seen.   8)

Here is the list of heroes schedules to be brought to the big screen under the new deal:

Captain America
The Avengers
Nick Fury
Black Panther
Ant Man
Cloak and Dagger
Dr. Strange
Hawkeye
Power Pack
Shang Chi

Cloak and Dagger?  Power Pack?  Marvel is really pushing their luck with this poor choices.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 27, 2005, 03:17 AM »

Hulk2 - Long-term in development.  Don't know when or if we'll see it.

John Myers is not returning in Hellboy 2.

Hulk 2... I wish it would happen and I wish Ang Lee would direct again. The first one is the best Marvel film to date. Much better than the crappy, overrated Spider-Man movies.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #189 on: September 27, 2005, 05:04 AM »

Hulk 2... I wish it would happen and I wish Ang Lee would direct again. The first one is the best Marvel film to date. Much better than the crappy, overrated Spider-Man movies.

The Hulk was the single worst movie of any kind I have ever seen in my life. Even worse than Batman and Robin. It was awful. I never want to see a another superhero movie than Ang Lee got anywhere near in my life. That movie was so long and boring. And the action was cheesy as hell. I was expecting comic book exagerration but that was just ridiculous, like Hulk's plane ride into space, and his super jumping stuff. Then there was that one scene where it cuts to a comic book frame when the guy dies in that explosion. My freinds and I were laughing so hard at that, it would of been ok if they had gone with that theme more in the movie but just once randomly was retarded. The effects sucked too. I hated the end fight. And did I mention how ridiculously long it was?

I can't wait to see Venom, he was one of my favorite Bad-guys when I was a kid. I used to always hope he'd be on when i came home from school to watch Spidey on TV. I saw 2 for the first time the other day, parts of it anyways. I thought it was decent, I don't like McGuiire or Dunst but I think they did pretty good jobsl. The effects were bad at times but form what I saw better than 1 (which I have also never seen.) I'm looking forward to 3 a lot esspecially since Venom is going to be in it. I will actually go see this one.
"This is the way."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2005, 09:39 AM »
According to this report at SuperHeroHype, we should get our first look at the Superman Returns trailer tomorrow.  It is scheduled to air during tomorrow night's Smallville episode, then appear online afterwards, then be attached to some prints of Harry Potter this weekend.  Being a fan of the Man of Steel, I'm looking forward to this movie and to getting our first look at some footage (or first real look, aside from blogs).  Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2005, 12:17 AM »
Superman Returns Trailer Links

Wow. That's a very cool trailer, and it looks kind of dark, actually.

Kevin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2005, 12:31 AM »
Whoa! I have got to see this flick.  :o

Listening to that music was just so...  8)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Seeing the red sheild back on the screen got me all sorts of excited over this movie.

Kevin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2005, 09:10 AM »
The trailer is available at the Official Site as well, if anyone is interested.  We saw this first last night during Smallville, and I've watched it on the computer a couple more times as well.  I'm really looking forward to this movie, I agree with Dale, just hearing the music was great.  It will be nice to see the Man of Steel return to the big screen.