Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335436 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #945 on: March 10, 2009, 02:02 PM »
While the costume was amazing, I don't think the Thing ever looked big enough.  He was like Dwarf Thing.  Next time I hope he's CG.  Chiklis would be great as the voice, and Chris Evans was just about perfect as Johnny, but I don't think Mr. Fantastic of the Invisible Woman were all that well cast.  Neither had the gravitas to pull it off.  Not that I'll ever complain about watching Alba...

What are the chances they'll get Doom right?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 10, 2009, 05:33 PM »
While the costume was amazing, I don't think the Thing ever looked big enough.  He was like Dwarf Thing.  Next time I hope he's CG.  Chiklis would be great as the voice, and Chris Evans was just about perfect as Johnny, but I don't think Mr. Fantastic of the Invisible Woman were all that well cast.  Neither had the gravitas to pull it off.  Not that I'll ever complain about watching Alba...

What are the chances they'll get Doom right?

Wow, I thought FF Casting was about as good as it can get.  Everyone seems to agree that Evans worked as Johnny.  I thought Chikles as The Thing was excellent as well. I’ve always thought of him as big and stocky, not tall.  He’s not very tall in the comics as I recall (i.e. he doesn’t seem to tower over the other characters), so I thought his size was appropriate.  Gruffodd isn’t my favorite actor, but Mr. Fantastic isn’t supposed to have a lot of personality and I think he looks spot on for the character.  Alba is probably the worst match of the four.  Sue never came across as a very strong character, though I’m not sure if that’s Alba’s fault or the script/directing.  She’s definitely easy on the eyes, but someone like Naomi watts seems like a better representation to me.

I’m really just happy to hear renewed interest in the franchise, but am a little worried that recasting would turn up worse results than what we’ve had so far. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #947 on: March 10, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17 AM »
Looks like Marvel has updated its film release schedule, which now probably makes more sense.  It allows more prep time for Thor and Cap, moves Avengers away from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and Cap away from Spidey 4.  Here's the new schedule:

Iron Man 2 - May 7, 2010
Spider-Man 4 - May 6, 2011
Thor - June 17, 2011
Captain America - July 22, 2011
The Avengers - May 4, 2012

Also, it appears that Mickey Rourke and Scarlett Johansson are officially on board with Iron Man 2.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 12, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Thor and Cap a month apart?  That's interesting.  I'm sure Summer blockbusters are probably the best way to go, but seems like they could build more hype by releasing one of these near the Winter holidays to keep the hype going all year around.  Didn't they do something similar with LOTR?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Yeah, I know that the summer movie season is where the studios want to hit big - but I'm often surprised that some seem to shy away from the holiday season.  Maybe that will change with Green Lantern currently set for a holiday release, but I can see your point - they could have left Cap in the summer and had Thor with a Nov/Dec release, then lead into the big Avengers extravaganza the next year.  Its kind of nice looking forward to a "big" movie in the winter months....I miss the days of the LOTR trilogy because of that.  Plus, lately they've been moving many of the Potter movies to summer - and I always sort of thought of them as winter movies as well.  Oh well, I'll see any of these no matter when they're released :).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 01:02 PM by Brian »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19 PM »
Didn't they do something similar with LOTR?

Yes ... all three of the LOTR movies were released in December.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 24, 2009, 10:16 AM »
IGN has a "March Madness" style tournament looking to find the best comic book movie (so far).  They seem to include a little of everything from Spidey/Batman/X-Men to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, to American Splendor and Ghost World.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #954 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I'd have no problem with that casting.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 28, 2009, 04:19 AM »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #956 on: May 1, 2009, 12:01 AM »
First IM2 still
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 1, 2009, 05:51 AM »
First IM2 still

Nice, I like the different models of the suits in the background.  8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 1, 2009, 09:25 AM »
Pretty cool, especially as the first "tease" for this movie.  Definitely looking forward to this next year.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 7, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Just once it would be nice to read that the release of some Movie adaptation was going to be a "faithful recreation of the character's origin story"...instead of it being a Director's "take" on the story and character.

I realize there are a dozen or more different "origins' per charcter, so I realize logistically it is impossible, but adding on more "re-boot" is just getting too hard to keep up.   Basically if it didn't happen on Superfriends (and all the spin off's) I never knew it happened.

I think this is residue from my deep dislike for the GI Joe movie..which is now more SuperHero movie than Military Movie.