Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 335389 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1035 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Sounds like Jango Fett is playing Abin Sur in the upcoming Green Lantern movie.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 21, 2010, 01:24 PM »
E, saw your comments about him doing a BSG movie. Tried to look some info on cast, but found nothing. Is this movie going to be with the cast of the Sci-Fi series or something completely new? If it's something new (cast-wise), I can't really see why they'd throw a new movie with a 'new' plot and cast when the Sci-Fi series was as good as it can get. Why miss with a good thing?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 21, 2010, 06:18 PM »
From what I understand, Glen Larson is going to produce and may have much more to do with it than just a "creator" title, which is pretty much all he had on the Syfy TV series.  It doesn't sound like it's going to have anything to do with the Syfy series, but more of a continuation or reboot of the original series.

In other words, except for the last of humanity fleeing from the Cylons, it may not have much in common with the TV series. 

I don't remembr all the details off hand, but I remember their being a big stink from not only Larson but also Richard Hatch  before the TV series started.  They were mad there wasn't more in common with the original series, there was heat because Starbuck was now a woman, etc.  I know fans were upset at some of that too, but after the series got rolling, and truned out so well, I don't know how those hardcore 70's series fans feel about it.

Honestly, I loved that series so much, thought that it covered so many relevant topics so well, that there's a very good chance that I'd never bother to see a big screen film.  I'd much rather see them pull together the Syfy cast and do a movie that helps tie the eventual end of Caprica more in line with the mini and series.  A prequel, possibly.

Edit>  Acutally, I just looked up Glen Larson.  Maybe he he did have more of a role than just creator on the BSG series on Syfy. It looks like IMDB lists him as "Writer (creator: Battlestar Galactica), consulting producer"

Not sure what that all means exactly, but I do recall there being some difference of opion on things when the series started.  I'm thinking those credits are more of a requirement (writer/creator) and honorary (consulting producer) than anything else.

E...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:29 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 23, 2010, 12:33 AM »
From what I understand, Glen Larson is going to produce and may have much more to do with it than just a "creator" title, which is pretty much all he had on the Syfy TV series.  It doesn't sound like it's going to have anything to do with the Syfy series, but more of a continuation or reboot of the original series.

In other words, except for the last of humanity fleeing from the Cylons, it may not have much in common with the TV series. 

Seems like it's riding on the coattails of the series' success to me. Without Eddie Olmos and the rest of the Sci-Fi cast, it just seems hard to compare. I should just hold my breath and see what becomes of it. It might just surprise me.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1039 on: April 2, 2010, 04:08 PM »

link in case picture doesn't hotlink

I think it's safe to assume these will all be stolen from theaters as soon as they go up...  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: April 2, 2010, 06:27 PM »

I think it's safe to assume these will all be stolen from theaters as soon as they go up...  :P

Unfortunately, we only get 1 of her curvy body parts.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: April 5, 2010, 01:28 PM »
There is a clip from Iron Man 2 now available at the Apple Trailer site.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: April 14, 2010, 04:22 PM »
While we're on the topic of comic book movies, who else is psyched to see Kick-Ass this weekend?  I don't know if my local theater is doing any early showing but, if not, I'll be at the first show Friday morning.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1043 on: April 14, 2010, 05:35 PM »
While we're on the topic of comic book movies, who else is psyched to see Kick-Ass this weekend?  I don't know if my local theater is doing any early showing but, if not, I'll be at the first show Friday morning.

E...

I can't wait to see it... Friday night with the biggest crowd I can find!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 16, 2010, 04:24 AM »
Kick-Ass is excellent!  Based on a summary I read of the comic, there are going to be some differences in the film which I'll be interested to hear about, whether they're good or bad, from people who have read it.

Either way, I think the story in the film is solid.  Excellent acting.  It's funny, brutal...it definitely kicks your ass.

Sequel?  Could.  Or not.  The story has an ending but I understand that the comic is an ongoing, but slightly irregular, series.  I think I'll have to track down the books and read them.  I doubt I'll see this again in theaters with all the other films opening in the next two months or so, but I really can't wait to see it again.

E...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32 AM »
I read the comic, and thought it was pretty good.  I'd like to see the movie, but I'm not sure if we'll get to it in the theaters or not.  I'm not sure how interested the wife is in seeing it (especially when I said it could be a bit graphic), and it gets tougher to get to movies as often with the little one.  I think we'll save the "movie day" for Iron Man 2, but I'd sure like to see both Kick Ass and the Losers this month too.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1046 on: April 17, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I saw Kick-Ass last night, and I gotta say I was generally disappointed.  That's because I was a huge fan of the comics.  It's like Vaughn read the comics, but didn't understand what they were about.  As a result every interesting or challenging element from the books was completely gone.  And that's a damn crime.  In his adaptation of Kick-Ass, Vaughn created the exact sort of superhero story the comic was written to mock.  If I had never read the book, I probably would have found it moderately entertaining, if a bit too silly in parts.

BTW, the violence was WAY toned down from the books.  The comic makes the SAW films blush.  The movie is a few steps down from Kill Bill.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #1047 on: April 20, 2010, 12:54 AM »
I just got back from Kick-Ass and I thought that it was pretty good.  Not excellent, but very entertaining.  I've never read the comic and maybe the comic explains one thing...How did the three public school boys who go to school in Brooklyn, know a very wealty crime-lord's kid who lived in Manhattan, and most likely went to private school?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1048 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59 PM »
SPOILERS

That whole scene wasn't in the comic at all.  One of my big disappointments with the movie was how they handled Red Mist.  In the books we never know who he is until he lures Kick-Ass, Big Daddy and Hit-Girl into a trap.  Then he's like "I'm the crime lord's son, you dummies!" and it was this huge, jaw-dropping surprise.  It was one of the most shocking moments in the book... up until then he seemed like a good guy, if a bit hesitant to put himself in danger.  The movie completely ruined that, revealing him to be a bad guy almost from the first scene.  So you never got to like him, and you never feel that sense of betrayal.

END SPOILERS

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 20, 2010, 01:28 PM »
Just read on Marvelousnews.com that Stan Lee would another reboot of the Hulk.  Seriously. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today