Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110110 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2005, 12:13 AM »
I'm so happy that I passed on these. The Luke can go with Peasant Disguise Anakin, like father like son so to speak. Leia, ha! I have decided that Leia to Hasbro is what Aragorn in LOTR is to ToyBiz. Neither company can truly capture the image of actor/character. 

Anyway, R2 rocks, and would be great if released as a single figure or in a package with other droids.

Chewie is nice, but I'll stay with the VOTC.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2005, 03:08 AM »
The Luke can go with Peasant Disguise Anakin, like father like son so to speak.

Nicely put...  I'm amazed at how horrid that figure looks actually.  I was expecting to be underwhelmed but Hasbro managed to even go below my already low expectations on that one by those pictures.  I hate the telescoping lightsaber on modern figures too...  There's a REASON Kenner didn't do that with later vintage figures, and I think "Nostalgia" is about as bull**** a reason to get a feature as anything.  You want Nostalgia?  Vintage Luke's in good condition can be had for $20 or less and you actually own something to feel nostalgic about.

The Leia I like well enough.  To me it'll be good to put with the R2 w/Holo Leia figure but it isn't near definitive or anything.  VOTC is still about as good as it gets IMO, and short of them releasing her with a clip-on hood accessory I'm pleased with her as is...  This will just be a decent enough hooded Leia I guess.  The arms are a little meh, especially since she doesn't have the right gun or the right pose to her sculpt to hold the right gun even if she DID have it, so that kinda is a letdown...  meh, it's ok.

R2 I'm unimpressed with but that's because I've got better versions already.  The rolling R2 is boring to me anymore.

Chewie looks like the winner to me.  VOTC's great but "hair-do" specific to one film, so I'm happy to get a good Chewbacca for the previous two films and not shabby for Episode 3 either really.

Is he $30 good?  No, and none of the other figures are.  I really hope these sets are done and over with.  The idea was not the best one, the exectution was just as poor, and the cost was simply frustrating.  Chewbacca's cool but the other 3 are mediocre or downright bad efforts overall.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Congrats of the arrival, John. Hope mine make it to me after my move.

Question -- do the figures look as shiny in person? They look like they're made from some very lustrous plastic... kind of concerning...

I don't think they are any more shiny than previous figures.  It might just be the flash on my camera is strong and hit them just right.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Frick.  I think I lost my recept for this.  I've been searching for months in the house, but I've got a feeling it's stuck in a box in storage.  So I'd better get my butt in gear and get that stuff out of storage...   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2005, 09:32 PM »
So I caught this at another site...  It helps explain how any of you with a complaint on this are just so far off.  :)  Boy your signature really rings true Jesse...

The nostalgia factor is the biggest selling point going for this exlusive set. Factor in the fact that they were exclusives, fullfillment, and shipping, don't forget the display stand and pegs- the cost is more than fair for what you are getting. Obviously all these things are beyond what the newer collectors can comprehend but oh well- they will be gone when the next 'it' thing comes along.

Those that can get them for $7 are extremely lucky. I for one only saw them once and bought them for $30 without flinching.

Yeah, cardboard, flimsy packaging, some plastic pegs and 4 figures that mostly are re-used parts is more than fair for $30, right?  Oh yeah and I almost forgot "Shipping" and "Fulfillment", and that they're exclusives too.  Obviously $30 for 4 figures is fair...

Wait, but battlepacks are 5 figures with ornate packaging...   :-\  And hell, some of them were even new figures...   :-\  And they're exclusive, and to smaller retailers than Wal-Mart too...   :-\  Huh, how about that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2005, 03:36 AM »
So I caught this at another site...  It helps explain how any of you with a complaint on this are just so far off.  :)  Boy your signature really rings true Jesse...

Amazing how the arrogance and disconnection with the community rings through loud and clear in that quote so -- you don't even need to attach a credit for me to know who it came from.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 03:36 AM by Jared (Tydirium) »

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 27, 2005, 09:17 AM »
A turd is a turd whether or not it's $7 or $30.  The author of that garbage should realize that. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 27, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Frick.  I think I lost my recept for this.  I've been searching for months in the house, but I've got a feeling it's stuck in a box in storage.  So I'd better get my butt in gear and get that stuff out of storage...   :-\

I haven't lost my recipt, but i haven't sent mine in yet either. Anyone else not mail away for their's yet?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I bought this set online because my WM's didn't participate and I thought the figures were going to be "cooler."

I like the backdrop as I think I'm going to use it with my vintage loose figures.  The mailaway figures are pretty lame  - especially for the collectors, like myself, who already have them (as previous releases).

I suppose if you are new to SW collecting it might be more exciting, but then you wouldn't really know what the whole 'dealio' was about.

:-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 27, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I like the backdrop as I think I'm going to use it with my vintage loose figures.

Ditto.  I think that stage is going to make for a great display.   8)

I actually don't mind this set (the figures).  I know some people think Luke's telescoping lightsaber is ridiculous, but I give Hasbro a thumbs up for doing a little tribute to the vintage line.

I'm disappointed that Leia isn't more poseable, but her sculpt looks great.  And I love that huge Chewie towering over the others.  Of course, I've got a dozen versions of R2 already, but I'm a sucker for more of my favourite astromech.

Despite all that, I'll have wait and see if these actually ship to Canada.  I'll let Dale be the guinea pig and find out if he gets screwed over or not.  :-X

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2005, 03:56 PM »
The nostalgia factor is the biggest selling point going for this exlusive set. Factor in the fact that they were exclusives, fullfillment, and shipping, don't forget the display stand and pegs- the cost is more than fair for what you are getting. Obviously all these things are beyond what the newer collectors can comprehend but oh well- they will be gone when the next 'it' thing comes along.

Those that can get them for $7 are extremely lucky. I for one only saw them once and bought them for $30 without flinching.

Wow. What an crock of ****. (Although I fully agree with the first sentence. ::))

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 04:00 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Despite all that, I'll have wait and see if these actually ship to Canada.  I'll let Dale be the guinea pig and find out if he gets screwed over or not.  :-X

Seems I'm not the only guinea pig up here.  :-X   :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 27, 2005, 05:40 PM »

Seems I'm not the only guinea pig up here.  :-X   :-\

But it may end up biting me in the butt if I wait.  If I find out that you're successful in getting your figures, by the time they receive my mail-in, they'll probably be out.   ::)

SilverZ

« Reply #343 on: September 27, 2005, 06:47 PM »
There's always the asian e-tailers, though. I'm still concerned that I may get screwed out of my set because of the move, and have been seriously thinking about getting a backup set from online. I just don't trust Hasbro to come through with this. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2005, 07:16 PM »
There's always the asian e-tailers, though. I'm still concerned that I may get screwed out of my set because of the move, and have been seriously thinking about getting a backup set from online. I just don't trust Hasbro to come through with this.

Were you able to get in touch with the distribution center or with the postal service after your email from Hasbro, Jared?  Or was it more runaround stuff from them?  If you like, I just happen to have Hasbro's phone number laying around here.... ;D