Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110081 times)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2005, 09:32 AM »
I was looking at this set closer yesterday, and the sculpt on Leia is really nice but it pretty much is a statue.  Am I mistaken, or is the head/neck not even articulated?

I don't think it is. It really is a huge step backward to sculpt statue figures at this point. With all the advances they've made in sculpting, detail, articulation and even paint detail, why go back to 1995 quality? It's all cost, I guess. When they do some set like this, they want each item to be as cheap as possible to produce. But they need to leave the cheapo junk to the Collection 1 kiddy stuff and not skimp on "collector" oriented figures. It's really frustrating too when they cross some of the best stuff with some of the worst. Example: AT-TE gunner has the best clone legs ever and the some of the worst arms. That's how I feel about this Leia fig: First one I've ever thought looks like Fisher and they put the head on a statue. >:(

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 14, 2005, 09:50 AM »
The chewbacca figure is great, I wouldn't change anything.  Luke and R2 are not so hot, R2 is pretty standard I guess, but the Luke is just flat out bad.  The Leia looks great and all, but you can't really move her or pose her too well.  But still the chewbacca and leia really make this set.
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 14, 2005, 09:59 AM »
The chewbacca figure is great, I wouldn't change anything.  Luke and R2 are not so hot, R2 is pretty standard I guess, but the Luke is just flat out bad.  The Leia looks great and all, but you can't really move her or pose her too well.  But still the chewbacca and leia really make this set.

Chewie's the only reason I caved and bought his thing. VOTC Chewie is 100% brilliant, but still, I had wished he had the original combed back hair instead of the later bangs (or whatever). I was stoked when I realized this was to be the same body with just that for a new head! :D The closed mouth is fine. It gives variety since he's almost always depicted baring fangs.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 14, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Despite all that, I'll have wait and see if these actually ship to Canada.  I'll let Dale be the guinea pig and find out if he gets screwed over or not.  :-X

Seems I'm not the only guinea pig up here.  :-X   :-\

Well it sounds like were in luck Jesse, according to a member at Troopers, they will ship up here.  8)

hey readers, i just got a return email from hasbro consumer affairs indicating that i am on the list to receive the early bird figures, meaning they WILL ship to canada. the email stated they should arrive by december 2005. they should have put more thought into thier advertising policies with this one. anyways, i'm happy knowing i will get my figures after all.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2005, 09:40 PM »
[cynic]I'm willing to bet Hasbro didn't even read the return addy on that letter.  Whoever wrote the response probably isn't even aware it came from Canada.[/cynic]
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2005, 09:54 PM »

Well it sounds like were in luck Jesse, according to a member at Troopers, they will ship up here.  8)

I hope you're right Dale, since I decided to bite the bullet and sent away for 2 sets of figures.  I put one in my name (and indicated adult on the redemption form) and the other in my daughter's name (and indicated child).  Assuming they do ship to Canada but start running short and become selective as to who they ship them to, I should have that covered.  ;)

I'll try to ignore the cynic's comment.   ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Ignore me all you want.  You Know I'm right. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 5, 2005, 12:17 PM »
For some reason, the local Wal-Mart had a whole endcap of sets last night, $30 each. I hope they stay and go on clearance, as that's the only way I'd buy one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #383 on: November 6, 2005, 04:43 AM »
These are hitting out here as well...  Stock from other stores being redistributed?  Stock from WM.com being sent to stores for a hoped for impulse buy?  I dunno...

This set sucks balls though at $30 no matter how you slice it...  The Chewie is pretty sweet though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #384 on: November 6, 2005, 05:22 AM »
I got my obligatory two sets (and one for Brent and Dale), but that's it.  I would like to get another of those Chewies though, and maybe one more Leia as well, but not at $16 each.  Hopefully they'll card those figures at some point since the mold are already done and folks would like the chance to get those two figures individually for a bit cheaper...

Offline rishakra

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 6, 2005, 07:52 PM »
My sister got me a set of this on "opening night" but my local WM never got them!  Did only some stores get these?  I see a report of a new package and the offer is extended until March.  Some stores are reported to have these on sale.  I like the figures -- especially R2 and Leia.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #386 on: November 8, 2005, 10:30 PM »
I just got my set today. Sweet!  :)

Call me crazy, but I really like the Luke.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 8, 2005, 11:48 PM »
looks like WM is giving more chances on getting these early bird sets. i saw 12 of these today.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #388 on: November 9, 2005, 12:33 AM »
I saw them tonight too...  It appears that Hasbro gave WM some stickers for them to "clarify" just what the **** they are...  They're out on the island display now, and the set's as ****** now in value as it was then if you ask me...  But tha'ts because I'm down on the figures other than Chewbacca.

This is an idea i hope Hasbro's more than happy to can and be done with it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #389 on: November 9, 2005, 04:59 AM »
I might actually pick one up if they show here.  I'm really high on the Chewie, and the others are kind of neat, too.  Price sucks though.