Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110084 times)

SilverZ

Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 05:20 AM »
RS added to the confusion tonight with their post about the palette having the almost-forgotten-about Vader and 3PO cases, including the prequel figure blisters with them. That doesn't jive with the pricepoint, does it?

I'm annoyed that Walmart has been dead silent on this. They've taken the place of TRU for being the most vague about their exclusive plans. I mean, that Clone Wars 3-pack wasn't announced by them at all and was just **** out to stores.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 05:15 PM »
And you know what? Even though Hasbro has been making announcements out the ass regarding new product, they WON'T be making an announcement bragging about the fact that there are three exclusives at three separate stores all coming out the SAME DAY!

If they do, they might as well begin the post with...

"Hasbro being the bitches that we are to TRU, WalMart and Target have decided to SCREW-OVER our loyal collectors and make it so there will be at least ONE item they'll have to pay out the ass for come April 3rd on eBay..."
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 11:43 AM »
Theres a report on RS that the Early Bird is a reproduction of the original vintage Early Bird Certificate. Also mentions that it comes with a case to protest it. Maybe like the VOTC calmshell.

More On The Wal-Mart Early Bird Exclusive

SilverZ

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I'm now taking every post RS makes about that thing with extreme skepticism. They don't seem to know anything about it, and are just posting whatever random thing someone writes into them with.

What would be the point of an Early Bird reproduction featuring OT characters, really? What relevance to ROTS does that have? If it is true, then there's no rush to get to Walmart to scoop it up. If it is a ROTS-themed riff on the original, then they have something very cool.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 09:51 PM »
I'm now taking every post RS makes about that thing with extreme skepticism. They don't seem to know anything about it, and are just posting whatever random thing someone writes into them with.

Ding ding ding!  I concur fully.

Every post they have about it is different - I think they are talking out of their ass on this one.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 08:44 AM »
Yeah, I have heard so many different things on what it could be. 

One site had 4 exclusive clonetroopers.
Then it was Vader and C-3PO collector cases with one figure each. 
Now it's an vintage Early Bird repro set. 
Etc. 

Time will tell I suppose.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Well - according to CNN it really will be the Early Bird Kit - a replica of the kit from 1977....

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/28/news/midcaps/hasbro_starwars/index.htm
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I really hope the figures are not just "new" versions of the classic figures like the 4 packs that came out years ago.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 02:47 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 02:56 PM »
Well - the Early Bird kit was Luke, Leia, R2-D2 and Chewie.

Personally, since they just came out with outstanding VOTC versions of these four characters, I find it hard to believe that they are going to ask $30 for four repro figures of the calibur of 1977.

I bet it will turn out to be the VOTC version of the Early Bird kit.
Peter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 03:00 PM »

Hasbro FINALLY gets around to trying to level out the confusion about these...

Wal-Mart Exclusive Info for April 2nd

And, for a limited time only, collectors will be able to purchase (while supplies last) the Wal-Mart "Early-Bird" Exclusive - classic reproductions of the first four original Star Wars action figures from 1977. Only available on April 2 & 3 at the Wal-Mart 48 Hours of the Force tent stores and on walmart.com, the Early Bird is an exclusive every fan will want to add to his or her collection. When consumers purchase the Early Bird, they receive a certificate that they mail in to get the four Star Wars action figures: Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, R2-D2, and Chewbacca. This mail-in figure promotion was done back in 1977 for the original Star Wars movie and Wal-Mart and Hasbro are bring it back to celebrate the last movie in the saga. Only a limited number will be available so fans will have to act fast before they're all gone.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 03:05 PM »
So you have to buy the certificate to get it so you have the choice to mail it in?  Oh for the love of Pete this is getting goofy. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 03:07 PM »
They still aren't clear regarding the figures themselves.  ::)
Peter

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm guessing a VOTC version of the Early Bird kit too.

Heres the original Early Bird Certificate Package and Early Bird Package  from the archive.

There should be a separate Certificate to mail in.

So how the hell am I suppose to get an (Early Bird Envelope and Figure package)! Can anyone help me out.  :'(

Canada, were always screwed up here. Exclusives.  >:(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 03:24 PM »
So $30 for a certificate that you mail in to get unknown figs? Lame.

(I know we know what characters the figs are, but it doesn't specify WHICH figs)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Yeah, definitely not "clear" on what figures these actually are, although the VOTC versions are probably a fairly safe bet.  It is nice to at least finally know what Wal-Mart's exclusive actually is.  I'm not sure what to do about this one.  $30 seems like a lot, but the vintagey part of it kind of appeals to me.  The figures will likely be rehashes, but it might be a cool thing to have...who knows.  Anyone else decide what they're doing about this one?  I'm slightly tempted, I'll have to admit.  Plus, it looks as if the Wal-Mart closest to us (about 5 minutes away) is participating in the "48 hours" promotion, so it might be neat to go check it out anyways.