Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110128 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Exclusive
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 03:26 PM »
So $30 for a certificate that you mail in to get unknown figs? Lame.

(I know we know what characters the figs are, but it doesn't specify WHICH figs)

Why they are re-packaged VOTC figures that wouldn't sell even at clearance prices of course!

;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

SilverZ

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 03:31 PM »
According to the WAL-MART release:
Click here for a listing of the 395 stores hosing the 48 Hours of the Force events.

Paging Dr. Freud...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 04:08 PM »

Why they are re-packaged VOTC figures that wouldn't sell even at clearance prices of course!

;D

Well, almost.  R2 and Chewie at least sold reasonably well ;)  Maybe they'll at least fire up a batch of green plastic for the crossbow and throw in a DT saber for fun.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 04:39 PM »
classic reproductions of the first four original Star Wars action figures from 1977

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like they might be re-doing the vintage figures to me, kinda like the PotF2 4-pack way back in 1995.  Then again, who knows?  It's probably just wishful thinking on my part...

Maybe it will turn out to be the vOTC figures thanks to Hasbro's desire for repacks/rereleases to lower costs on things like this, despite the fact that they said all last year, "honest, we swear, it's this time or nothing for the vOTC.  You'll never see them again".  Yeah, right...  ::)

But as it stands, $30 for either the 4 vOTC figures I already have loose OR 4 vintage repros I don't really need since I have the vintage versions?  No thanks.

I'll be passing on this one... and, now, the only way I go to Wal-Mart on 4-2 is if Target doesn't send me a $1 off coupon.  If I do get the coupon from Target, then that will be the ONLY stop I make on April 2nd.   ;)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2005, 05:12 PM »
I'll be passing on this one... and, now, the only way I go to Wal-Mart on 4-2 is if Target doesn't send me a $1 off coupon.  If I do get the coupon from Target, then that will be the ONLY stop I make on April 2nd.   ;)

Jeff and I are working on the same wavelength - Target sure as heck will hopefully send me a coupon card. They would be foolish not to - since TRU is a no-go except for perhaps a few minutes at MidnightMadness to grab a couple of clones or other army builders that might be hard to get - all of my other business will happily go to Target if they send me a $1 off coupon.

If they don't, I'll get all my ships and playsets at TRU at MM, wait in line at Target for the Lava Vader and then head to WalMart to get what I can for $5.24 a figure.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 05:37 PM »
What new bull**** is this??? I'll pass, thank you very much.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Firebat

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Yeah, it all sounds crazy, but dangit I still want it. Getting the Emperor in the mail is one of my best childhood memories....and I knew I held off buying VOTC Chewie for a reason!!!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Just saw some pictures of the Early Bird Envelope at RS. By the looks of it you have to open the envelope to get the early Bird Certificate and mail it in. Thats ******* stupid, what if people don't want to open it. Buy 2, one sealed and one to get the mail away figures!  :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2005, 07:54 PM »
What a scam.

So, I guess the mystery continues as to what these figures actually are, since the box says "updated" versions of the classic figures. It's even less appealing not knowing how disappointed we'll be once the figures arrive. "Wow, I can't wait to see which rehash of ANH core characters it will be!"

And someone please tell me what this set has to do with Revenge of the Sith? Hasbro.  ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Y'know, if originally the early bird set had Ben, Leia, Luke and Han, I'd be really, really suspicious of a re-release of the vOTC stuff.  But given they clearanced the figures rather than pulled them and Chewie and R2 are mentioned and weren't quite so easy to find, I'm hopeful.  Cynically hopeful. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2005, 09:15 PM »
The only part of it that appeals to me is if the background cardboard piece and stand would come with the 4 figures.  There is no way I will ever be able to afford the original pieces.  Then again I never sit around thinking "Gosh.  I wish I had that Vintage Early Bird set." 

Eh, I am more likely to spend $30 on the Mustafar Playset than this the more I think about it.  Or the ARC-170. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2005, 09:32 PM »
Well, since this is a Big 400 WM tent sale store thing only, I guess I'm absolved of the worry and wonder over it.  Ugh.  My enthusiasm for MM is ebbing big time, especially with word that the Holo Yoda won't be out until 4/10.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Dude, both our local WMs are "hosing" ( ;D ) this 48 Hours thing, plus it's on their website. I doubt they'll have the tents, since it's only going to be about 50 degrees on Saturday.

I for one am looking forward to this, mostly for the pretty box. That's one item I wanted when I got into this hobby. I was too young for this when it came around in 1977 (so young in fact my parents hadn't even met yet) so I dig it.

I'm gambling it will be like the Classic 4-pack done in POTF2's early days.

This thing appeals to me more than Lava Vader, certainly.
Guess I'll be going to Wal-Mart first instead of TRU. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2005, 04:38 AM »
Wuh-oh, Shaggy.   :)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 11:41 AM »

Well, almost.  R2 and Chewie at least sold reasonably well ;)  Maybe they'll at least fire up a batch of green plastic for the crossbow and throw in a DT saber for fun.

That would be cool, but i think we giving them way too much credit to even expect soemthing cool like that.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"