Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110082 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #105 on: April 1, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Here are my thoughts, after having taken an hour to read this thread.

1) I would want to keep the certificate thing. There should be some way to just mail off a serial number or a code or something off of a "peel away" thing on the certificate without having to mail the thing away.

2) I wouldn't mind re-tooled VOTC figures, but that would completely ruin the whole concept of Early Bird - as generally there's nothing new about a re-tooled figure.

3) There's no way in hell I'm going to collect a new scale. No way. If they cut the 3' line, then I'm out. Done.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 1, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Hasbro would have to be completely off of their rocker to introduce a new scale - odds are they won't cuz they wouldn't fit in the early bird display!  Right?

I mean the fans want something similar to VOTC - if Hasbro introduced a new scale, all of our ships, accessories and secondary characters would be completely obsolete.

Not a wise decision from a money making standpoint.

But my question is, how can they one up VOTC?

I'm perplexed by this, and will not spend $30 for an empty box of air!  You never know, they might send you four buff figures from the POTF2 line - from a certain POV, they are classic reproduction of the original characters!!

:P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #107 on: April 1, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Hasbro would have to be completely off of their rocker to introduce a new scale - odds are they won't cuz they wouldn't fit in the early bird display!  Right?

But it didn't stop them from doing the same thing to GI Joe...

I mean the fans want something similar to VOTC - if Hasbro introduced a new scale, all of our ships, accessories and secondary characters would be completely obsolete.

Yeah, meaning that you'd have to buy all new ships and and accessories which they happen to also be making, just like GI Joe.  Hasbro seems to think that if they did do a new scale, the fans would all start over - buying new X-Wings, new TIEs, new figures, etc etc etc.

While it may not seem likely right now, I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to try a new scale.   They keep trying various ways to test a new scale (PotJ Mega Figures, RotS Force Battlers), I think it's only a matter of time that they try it for real, just like they are doing with GI Joe this year.

Of course, if the new scale GI Joe line flops horrible this fall (and it seems like it may becaue I know a LOT of Joe Collectors who are pissed about no more 3.75" figures) that could of course change everything.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 1, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Bid now and you too can own this for just $$$$  ::)

EARLY BIRD CERTIFICATE PACKAGE Wal-mart ROTS EXCLUSIVE

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #109 on: April 1, 2005, 03:44 PM »
WHat a bargain  ::)

I talked to some guy at Walmart and he thinks they have them but they are not doing the tent thing, any chance that he is right?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 1, 2005, 03:56 PM »
WHat a bargain  ::)

I talked to some guy at Walmart and he thinks they have them but they are not doing the tent thing, any chance that he is right?

We have two WalMarts in my area..albeit one of them is 30 miles away.  I spoke with the Toy Mgr in our brand new, bright and shiny SUPER WalMart and corporate didn't pick them as one of the "48 Hours" stores.  I couldn't believe that, as our new store is just two weeks old and it would have been a great promotion for a new store.

BUT>>>>>>> I called the store 30 miles away and was assured that they are indeed one of the "48 Hour" stores, even though they are not on the tent list.  When I asked if she knew if they had the exclusive, she said she wasn't sure, because everything that came in marked Star Wars, she had the back room staff instantly shrink-wrap (to discourage employee scalping).  She said she really wouldn't know until they started checking into boxes today..

GAWD, I hope they have the exclusive.  I really want it, even if the line (RUMOR, PURE RUMOR) switches to a larger scale, I would at least want this exclusive.. I find it the most creative of any of the ROTS exclusives..

The Lava Darth leaves me cold. (hehehehe)  ::)
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 2, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Is it true that you need your original receipt to submit your certificate to receive your figures?  Can anyone confirm this by reading the picture on the package?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 2, 2005, 12:40 PM »
Is it true that you need your original receipt to submit your certificate to receive your figures?  Can anyone confirm this by reading the picture on the package?

Yes, you need to have the original receipt to aquire the figures as reported at RS. Early Bird Receipts Are Important

A member at RS bought his Early Bird certificate last night and reported in the vinty section. He said:

Just thought it should be known that anyone who plans to buy an Early Bird Kit listed on ebay may not be able to send off for the figures. On the back of the kit under "How To Order" it states that an original cash register receipt is required for the figure offer. Photocopies of a receipt are not accepted. So if the seller isn't able to include the original receipt in the auction, the buyer will not be able to send off for the figures. I'd hate to drop a large sum of money on one of these kits only to find out later that I couldn't order the figures.

If you ordered through Wal-Mart.com, they will send you an invoice, that is your receipt.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 2, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Theres an awesome post on RS showing the difference between the original and the new Early Bird Certificates and with pictures, well worth checking it out.  8)

Early Bird vs. Early Bird

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 2, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Great pictures!  I'm blown away by their efforts to even replicate the stickers, etc in the package as well. 

It'll be interesting to see what this does to the value of the original set.  Either people will love the new set, driving their curiousity to get an original too and boost values.  Or, people will be satisified with the new, lose interest in the original and drop prices. 

But we all know the vintage guys are "Vintage or Bust", so I'm guessing we'll see bids on eBay skyrocket.   ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 2, 2005, 02:04 PM »
There is also a very nice article on the set on GH. More pictures and a good close-up of the mail way form. Check it out gang!  :o   8) 

Preview: Early Bird Certificate Package

GH Image Bank

Kudo's to the people that have made there posts so we can get more information and a good look at the set.  :)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 2, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Picked up my early bird sets this morning. Since Im not picking up anything else, I went ahead and picked up a few ;) One to keep in the plastic bubble, one to remove from the plastic bubble but display in an acrylic case, and two to open and send in the certificates, to get two figure sets (one to open, one to keep packaged). Now THAT is OCD for ya! lol
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: April 2, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Holy cow Adam!  haha

Those were non-existant here as near as I could tell.  I've not talked to the local guys yet to see if they've found them.  I didn't though myself.  Sorta bummed because WM was the only other place I went.

I'm wondering what the figs are to be like in the set then.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 2, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I think you can still get it at walmart.com
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: April 2, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Yeah, I've been hesitant.  I'd assume though you could use your invoice if you wanted to redeem for the figures...  At least I guess that's what you'd have to do.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77