Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110143 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #150 on: April 6, 2005, 10:28 AM »
If they were going to have one of the four figures be a VOTC re-pack, why not just proceed with R2-D2? IMHO - that was a great figure. I don't see any reason to make another super detailed version of him.

VOTC Han would be my second choice though. My guess with regards to Chewie is that he will have the VOTC body, but a ANH style head - the Chewie mask evolved through the three OT movies and he doesn't look the same in ANH as he does say on Endor in ROTJ. So that will be good.

My guess is that Luke will have a sculpted tunic this time instead of a cloth one. As far as Leia goes, I don't know what they could do to change the VOTC version except for give her more articulation or a better head sculpt.

I would love it if they continued with the ball-jointed hip design like they used with the VOTC Luke - that would be a nice consistent addition to EVERY figure IMHO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 6, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Grrrrrr.... this set does have a lot of potential.  I don't feel like buying it, but I might.

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 6, 2005, 11:00 AM »

CIBC CC, were there ya go. I had nothing but problems with them and went to Royal, no problem ever since.  8)

Yeah, but the air miles dude :o  I pretty much get a free flight in North America each year.  Hard to argue with if the only real impact is on my toy purchases.  Besides, I just have to update my TD Visa to include a US address and all will be resolved.  Besides, it never really mattered much, Alice and Beth both have them for me, so I'm all set thanks to the good graces of people around here.

And it's going to be Cantina Han, you just watch.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #153 on: April 6, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Well I mailed away for the set today. It would be awesome to really get them in May.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2005, 03:35 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #154 on: April 6, 2005, 03:51 PM »
I'm a bit confused as to why R2 was replaced with Han...

Yeah, me too.  Why try to copy the Early Bird set giveaway, but then change one figure in it?  It completely loses it's nostalgic intentions and look by doing that.  Totally disappointing to me.

Furthermore, why offer 3 all-new figures, with one old one?  That makes no sense either.  :-\

Still excited to get some new figures though.  Can't wait to see what they've done with them, and what this "new line" may have in store for us.  They obviously have to one-up their VOTC versions in order to keep their progress going.  No stepping back now...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 6, 2005, 03:57 PM »
There are new pics up at Hasbro of these by the way.  You can check on www.rebelscum.com or www.galactichunter.com on the front pages.  The pics are a bunch of x's for me right now though :(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 6, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I get the "x" as well, but if you click on the picture you can get them to come up...or at least I could.  Here's the figures, looks like R2 wasn't replaced after all:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 6, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Damnit!!! Now I have to get at least one set.

*edit* - Wait!  Is that Luke's saber the vintage style???  No!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 6, 2005, 04:09 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 6, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I actually like the Luke and Leia.  As far as these being a new direction for the line.  I don't really see it.  It just looks like a continuation of the same to me.  I am sure it will have new packaging.  I guess they will restart the line with these 4 figures and see how it goes.  

I personally like this better than a straight reproduction of the 77 figs.  

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 6, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I think these look great... I just hope that Luke's saber doesn't go up into his wrist....

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #160 on: April 6, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Very cool, I wish the saber was yellow and that Chewy's crossbow was green though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #161 on: April 6, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Cool!  Especially the Luke and Leia.  Very strange that they posted a report just last night with come completely conflicting information with what they've just posted today.  Very relieved to hear that it'll still be the same cast of characters, and that they're not swapping in a Han for R2.  Even sounds like they're saying that all 4 of them will be all-new as well, so that's another plus.  I'm sure sales for this exclusive set just sold out, after lagging a little bit this past week.

Good stuff.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #162 on: April 6, 2005, 04:32 PM »
It looks like Chewbacca has a gangsta lean.  ;D

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #163 on: April 6, 2005, 05:02 PM »
Cool!  Especially the Luke and Leia.  Very strange that they posted a report just last night with come completely conflicting information with what they've just posted today. 

Considering that the report came from the legal-ese text taken from the rules of a contest, I'm not surprised it was wrong.  It was a clue the info was bad when he was called "HANS SOLO".   ::)

I'd bet the marketing people who wrote the contest rule stuff would have a hard time picking HANS SOLO from R2D2...

It is a cool set though looking at it, glad to see they are not re-mold off the vintage figures and they are not the vOTC figures, so I guess for now I'm happy I bought this set.  Now I just gotta get that certificate mailed in...

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 6, 2005, 05:04 PM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 6, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Meh.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com