Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110099 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #360 on: October 11, 2005, 06:12 PM »
I received my figures today as well.  Although not Hasbro's best effort as regards to figures, I do appreciate the vintage nod and they will make a nice addition to my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 11, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I set up the backdrop tonight with the following figs.  I actually like the Leia and the Luke.  Although I could of lived without the Telescoping Saber which was the only problem I had with this fig. 

1. VOTC Han
  2. Early Bird Chewie
  3. Early Bird Leia
  4. Early Bird Luke
  5. Early Bird R2
  6. ROTS C-3PO
  7. VOTC Vader
  8. VOTC Stormtrooper
  9. VOTC Ben
10. Commtech Jawa
11. SAGA Tusken (rem head version)
12. POTF DS Trooper

The Trooper is the only fig that looked really out of place.  Desperate need of resculpt.  Although a head swap with the POTJ Imperial Officer would probably do the trick.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #362 on: October 11, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Still passing, I'd like a Chewie eventually but it won't kill me not to have one, Cloud City Chewie is my current ANH/ESB Chewie.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 12, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Went ahead and finally bought a set of these, from a dealer but $30.00 was ok... pretty happy with them for the most part.

Chewbacca - Sheer perfection... the head makes this the ultimate Chewbacca.  It really looks like a movie prop.

Leia - Simply beautiful, but a severe lack of articulation.  the VOTC is still the best one... if I can get a second one of these though at a fair price, I'd likely customize it matching parts of it with the VOTC Leia.

R2D2 - Hmmm.... not as good as the SAGA Jabba's Sail Barge R2D2, but a good figure I suppose.

Luke- Puke, barf, vomit, upchuck.  Not a good figure.  Going to use his head on a custom Luke X-Wing pilot and use the rest for a custom Jedi I guess.

:P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 12, 2005, 02:03 PM »
I was delighted to get these in the mail yesterday - not bad figures, but as with the rest of you, Luke is really bad.

I don't mind the sculpt but the paint and colors are really off.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 12, 2005, 04:32 PM »
Got mine today. I'm really glad they gave VOTC Chewie a slicked back hair do. I wanted that the first time.

Offline Nerfherder

• Youngling
  • Who's scruffy lookin'?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2005, 06:17 PM »
I got my first of 5 sets on Monday. (the other 4 I bought for $5 each)

I like all of the figures, and I'm probably the only one who likes Luke, only because I understand what they were going for with him. The Chewie though is probably going to get the most work in my displays. Between him and VOTC that sculpt will probably replace most if not all of my other Chewies.
Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.

You must train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 12, 2005, 06:29 PM »
I wish I had come across a cheap set of these... if you decide to part with one of those Chewbacca's and a Leia, I'll make you a custom or two to trade.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:29 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2005, 07:13 PM »
Justin, you can have a Leia of mine if you want. I picked up 3 sets, 1 at full price and 2 at $5 each.
"This is the way."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #369 on: October 12, 2005, 08:14 PM »
I need a Chewie.  Anybody help?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 13, 2005, 09:00 AM »
These were waiting in the mailbox yesterday afternoon, and I was glad to see them as a confirmation that my order got through ok ;).  Although I know some of the figures aren't anything spectacular (although the Chewie is great), the kid in me really liked getting figures "in the mail" like the good old days.  Oh how I wish Hasbro would do mail away figures like Kenner used to, that was so much fun.  I still remember getting a B-Wing Pilot that way (I believe)...boring figure, but it was just neat sending in and getting it in the mail.  Not too bad of a set overall, the Leia is not articulated but sculpted well, Chewie is every bit as good as the VOTC version he is based on, R2 is basically VOTC rehash without the gadgets, and Luke is so-so.  I don't hate him like some others do, but the telescoping saber doesn't translate quite as well as in the vintage days.  Oh well, not like we don't have any other Tatooine Lukes ;).

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25 AM »
I actually like the Luke minus the arms which are messed up.  Add the head to a POTF Flashback Luke and I think you have a winner.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 13, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Justin, you can have a Leia of mine if you want. I picked up 3 sets, 1 at full price and 2 at $5 each.

I'll PM you!  Thanks buddy

SilverZ

« Reply #373 on: October 13, 2005, 05:47 PM »
I agree with Brian that the best part of the set it the white mailer showing up. That was worth a few bucks right there. The nostalgia was thick in the air.

And Chewie's great. I can't really see much room for improvement in a Chewbacca sculpt any more. They can head swap and repaint him forever and I think I'd be ok with it. I'm glad to have the set for this figure.

Leia is fine, as is R2. Neither fill a gap in my arsenal of previous figures and they don't offend me as a missed opportunity in any way, so, uh... whatever.

Now, Luke. What happened here? That head sculpt looks good (maybe the best ANH Luke yet), I agree, but my god, why is he painted like a bad prototype? Just having painted flesh tones on the head is awkward enough, but then the much-too-dark hair color, also poorly applied, is just laughably bad. My reaction to the saber up the arm is just as nauseating as it was in 2002 with Peasant Anakin. The plastic color used for his clothing isn't even close. Inexcusably bad. What a pile of ****.

Retool that head sculpt to incorporate a ball-socket neck and slap it on a decent ANH Luke. Give me a Stormtrooper Luke that has a likeness that close and I'll be thrilled. And then with that done, burn every mold, one-off, and reference that ever was used in the creation of this figure.

Was it worth the money? Hell no. Was it an interesting experience as a whole? Yes. I liked getting the mailer tray and having baggied figures. I liked the nostalgia factor. But I was annoyed to hell at the process of redeeming the offer, and it being exclusive and probably overpriced.

I have to give Hasbro Customer Service a big thumbs up for actually correcting my mailing address after my move. They came through on this one.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 14, 2005, 09:05 AM »
Was it worth the money? Hell no. Was it an interesting experience as a whole? Yes. I liked getting the mailer tray and having baggied figures. I liked the nostalgia factor. But I was annoyed to hell at the process of redeeming the offer, and it being exclusive and probably overpriced.

This is pretty much how I felt about it too.  The "in the mail" nostalgia factor was neat, and that Chewie is one of my favorite figures overall.  Like you said Jared, they could repaint and re-release this Chewie from now on...it seems pretty definitive to me.  I was looking at this set closer yesterday, and the sculpt on Leia is really nice but it pretty much is a statue.  Am I mistaken, or is the head/neck not even articulated?  It doesn't seem to be on my figure anyways.  I agree on the Luke too.  Its funny, for all the different Tatooine Lukes we've gotten over the years, and all the jokes we make about the multiple appearances of this version of the character....Hasbro could still do better on this.  I still don't know that we have a "definitive" Tatooine Luke.  Don't get me wrong, there are other versions I'd like to see re-done first (Snowspeeder Pilot, Endor/Jedi, etc.)...all super articulated of course...but we could still take a better version.