Author Topic: What customizer websites do you visit often?  (Read 8684 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: other sites
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 03:18 PM »
It's a great question Brent.  There are several other sites out there, this one is definitely my favorite however. 

Many people like to post at www.rebelscum.com and probably always will.  Very high traffic there and some great people.  Maybe a few too many kids but that comes with high traffic.

Other sites like www.ffurg.com, www.commandocustoms.com, www.thejawa.com/nuke, www.masefx.com, www.galactichunter.com and others have good communities too.  It's just hard trying to keep up with so many sites, so I spend 90% or so of my time here.

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 04:16 PM »
I've made JD my base of operations. Then I typically post at either CommandoCustoms (because I like the gi joe and microman sections) and FFURG (because it is where star wars customizing started and we need to support the site as a storehouse of our collective knowledge)

I typically stay away from forums with a small posting rate and I wouldn't touch Rebelscum with a ten foot poll. Too many kids there and other political crap. Besides how many times do I need to see the 1000th version of a 501st clone trooper?

The hard part is finding a new audiance of customiers that are active in their forum. Sometimes, I feel like I'm showing the same people the same custom figure over and over again.   
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 05:02 PM »
I typically post my customs on two sites.  Here at JD.com and at Commandocustoms.com.  As Chewie said there are alot of other customzing site out there (even besides the SW customing sites), but I normally only stop by them occasionally to lurk. 

CC and JD have become my main stomping grounds mainly due the mature attitude of their members and the friendly atmsphere of them.

With multiple sites, eventhough some of the same customs get posted at multiple places, and  you might see a custom 3 or 4 times, you also get to see different peoples thoughts, reactions and critiques on them that you wouldn't have seen by only posting on one site.
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 05:12 PM »
For me, home is JD. There just isn't a better bunch of customizers and custom junkies out there. I have yet to find any other place that has the kind of thoughtful and constructive feedback people will give you here. I also think JD would be far more willing to cut the head off a snake trying to poison the atmosphere. :P

Finally, I really love how JD embraces PNs... not just my own, mind you, but the concept of the PN.

I go to RS from time to time, and I post my PN there when I update it (mainly b/c I posted Chapter 1 there, and I feel like I should finish what I start). I don't post otherwise, mostly b/c I find JD to be superior in terms of feedback and community.

I check in on GH's forums from time to time. But that's about it. I think GH is mostly really good folks, but I got almost no feedback the time or two I posted. It's just not as active.

For other (non-Star Wars) custom work I really enjoy joecustoms.com.

This isn't meant to bash any other site. I think the various communities all do us a service in giving us forums to display our work. I just think that, as a matter of personal taste, the differences are important to understand. The things I like about JD may be things an RS loyalist doesn't like. That's cool with me. :)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 11:29 PM »
My main "base of operations" is www.TheJawa.com (I'm the customs moderator there) but we only have a few regular posters.
I definitely think that JD.com has the best bunch of customizers out there, I love the real community vibe here and, aside from the high level of talent, there are also great comments on everybody's customs.

I also have accounts at www.FFurg.com (haven't posted there in a while, I probably should - they're a great customizing community as well); www.GalacticHunter.com (I usually update my customs page here, but most of the customizers at GH.com post here too, so I usually comment here instead); www.CommandoCustoms.com (I just post my Microman customs here); www.RebelScum.com (I post random things but mostly use the forum for the Trades Section, if at all); www.SandTroopers.com (hardly post here anymore); and of course, www.thejawa.net/NJSWCC (New Jersey Star Wars Collector's Club - it's pretty much just me and Mitch (aka Tykrazen))

I find it hard to keep up with so many different forums.  Nowadays I focus on TheJawa.com; NJSWCC; and JediDefender.com.  I like the other sites and they have great people, but it takes way too much time to keep up with everything.  :-\
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 11:25 AM »
Well, because of too many turds in the punchbowl so to speak Ive basicly given up on RS. I havent been there for months, too many trouble makers over there for me to even dignify that site with a post. Maybe when they grow up a little Ill go back.

I drop in on ffurg from time to time, but unfortunately the library computers wont let me post anything over there. I also spend a good deal of time at Commando customs because of the joe and comic customs that I do. They have a broad range of different topics to post on and I run my own little unnofficial Comic group project over there.

But this board is where my loyalties lie, and here is where Im the happiest. And I mean that, im not kissing up. ;)

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Dioramas at The Jawa
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I'm mainly at Rebel Scum and probably will usually be.  However, this customizing community is far better than right now at least in terms of replying to posts.  I really like JD, but there's not a custom dioramas board, and that's my specialty, so I'll probably continue to be focused over there. 

I'm also a member of The Jawa and Galactic Hunter, but there's little activity there.  Gregaborian keeps The Jawa going and Niub Niub occasionally posts at GH. 
"Go plug the professor into the back!"

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 05:05 PM »
This is my main base of operations. I always post my customs and PNs here first then copy and paste it into the forums over at CommandoCustoms then Rebelscum. I usually get the most substantial comments over here, and the occasional good one at RS.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...