Author Topic: Tactical Ops Trooper  (Read 2973 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Tactical Ops Trooper
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Here is my review of the Tact. Ops Trooper.

Painting. I have a couple of them and on neither do I see a major issue with the paint job. The left leg on one where the double lines are seem slightly distorted and off, but not enough to really matter. If I had left it carded I would never had known.
I like the two strips running down the side of each leg, and wish the JTA would have had these.  The helmet is painted nice.  As far as the sculpt under the helmet, same as the AT RT figure.
The battle damage paint is simply black paint that has been painted on. I would have preferred to see something similiar to the Walmart 3 pack for the DVD release set to help make these look more damaged. Overall though, the jury is out with me whether the black paint works or not for me. Finally the dirty feet/ bloody feet does not serve this figure well. I guess it makes it look more like an Ep. II Genosis Figure then an Ep. III figure for the casual fan.
Paint Score: 8 out of 10

Acticulation: Same as the AT TE gunner, which is not bad, and yes, the elbow joints seem to be tighter. However, one of the 2 I have the legs are rather loose and seem if my son played with it too much, I would have the loosey leg figure. The legs are loose at the hip where the ball socket is. Not sure if I should dip in hot water and freeze and see if that tightens em up or just trying freezing.  Articulation occurs in the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, waist, knee and feet. I still am in fear that the arm will break out and having the figure hold the gun is still awkward. Total Ariculation: 7 out of 10

Accessories: The helmet is a nice feature if you want to have some lying around a Zett Jukassa battle scene, but you can definetly see the chin and skin when it is on, similiar to the AT TE and to the Evolutions figures. The gun is the same as the AT TE and it is still a bear to get it to fit into the right hand so it looks like the clone is shooting the gun and not just holding it. Easy to get the left arm, wrist and hand in place to hold the stock of the gun. No other accessories except the stand which is the standard stand. I have a problem with that. I KNOW it saves them cost but to have a stand that looks more like the Jedi Temple would have been a nice touch.
Accessories Score: 7-8 out of 10.

Playability: My son and I played JTA with these and the JTA clones on Friday night for 3 hours and it was a blast. The clones held up great to an 11 year and a 40 year old acting like an 11 year old. We were both still timid with the figures because we did not want an arm to fall off like with the AT TE gunner.
Playability Score: 8 of 10

Overall: I would rate this figure a 7 to 7.5 out of 10. Not near the SA 41 clone, or even the #6 clone, but it is okay.  I do believe that I like it better then the #6 in the JTA, but that will be a LONG debate me thinks. I have said this before it just simply shows what Hasbro might have done had they use the SA 41 Clone. I do hope they don't use the AT TE figure again though.  I hate being timid with a figure when my son and I are playing with them. If you card or only display, then the figure will look good. I am still waiting for my digital camera to arrive and I'll add the picture when it does, but these two with 6 JTA clones make an excellent back drop to the Evolutions Anakin from Ep. III or even the Sith Eye Anakin from the ROTS. I have mine fanned out behind Anakin/Vader in a V. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 01:37 PM by TheBlackDog65 »
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Ops Trooper
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Nice review. I still have to find one of these bad boys. Hopefully, when I find them, I can get 2 or 3 of these figs to add to my JTA clones.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 11:20 PM »
Good review, 7 out of 10 for me.

the bloody stains and the "chicken/ninja split" legs just doenst appeal for me to make a army out of these

i hope Hasbro remakes these in the future with the SA mold.   ::)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Nicely writen Black Dog. I'm going to have to dissagree to some extent. I would give the following ratings:

Paint - 9/10
Articulation - 5/10, and that's giving superior scores for the hip joints.
Accesories - same
Playability - 4 for lack of articulation and unsecure limbs.
Over all - 6
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Agreeing more with Anton, but mine is lower OVERALL: 5.5
Sorry just can't even give a 5 for articulation- mine is a 4

Nicely wrote review BD

As in before with the TG the removeable helmet(real head sculpt) is the ONLY kind of redeeming(to some extent feature) for this character 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: December 8, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Nice review...

I'm a bit let down on this figure as well.  For my $, the K-Mart #6 repaints were better than this figure for army building.  The TE Gunner's a unique sculpt, and I'm totally ok with seeing it decked out in various deco's of Clone units, but at the same time I only think it's a good complementary figure and not a good "basic" figure.  If the basic figure was #6 repainted, and the TE Gunner was in the K-Mart pack, I think people would've been happier...  At the same time though I couldn't find it to save my life regardless of what sculpt was used so I'd be mad wanting to build a nice army of these. :)

It's not one I'll be reviewing I believe, but it's definitely a let down.  The arms are, of course, my big beef with him.  I like the hip joints really, and I wish more figures had that.  I think they're a mandatory point of articulation on ANY potential future SA Biker Scouts and/or BARC Troopers.  You just gotta!

Hopefully a 501st Trooper arrives utilizing one of the two SA sculpts, or they at least use the #6 sculpt.  To me, those are the best and always shall be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77