Author Topic: Palm Talkers / Super-Deformed figures  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Palm Talkers / Super-Deformed figures
« on: October 6, 2003, 11:32 AM »
OK. The last few days I have been hearing that there are some Palm Talkers in prototype stage that never made it to final stage or whatnot. What Palm Talkers never made it? I have many Palm Talkers (All Speak English).

My Palm Talkers include;
Jar Jar Binks, Battle Droid, Darth Maul, Yoda, R2-D2, C-3P0 (redux)
Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Chewbacca, C-3P0 (1st Version Paint)

**See more of my ever growing Star Wars collection at www.djsyczylo.net
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 07:04 AM by JediMAC »
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Palm Talkers
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2003, 12:28 PM »
Hey, where/how did you get the EP1 palm talkers?  I never seen them but would have liked to pick them up.  I have the other 6, I like these little guys...wish they'd make more.
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2003, 02:44 PM »

It looks like a new Yoda and revised Battle Droid (red) were planned to be released overseas.  they never were from the sounds of it

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2003, 10:09 PM »
I got my Episode 1 Palm Talkers from my local Comic Book Shop around the same time that the Classic Trilogy Palm Talkers were out. They were all in a shelf display. Except for the package which is Red and has the Episode 1 Logo the packages are the same. The UPC code on the Classic Trilogy are the exact same as the Palm Talkers I saw at Toys-R-Us and Wal-Marts.

So these were meant to US release. I have only seen these at the Comic Book Store. I have never seen the E1 PT's at local retail. Though I have been told that Sam's Club had them at one time which I cannot confirm.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2003, 03:29 AM »
Yeah, just a couple of repaints.  Nothing too exciting, unless you're an avid completist.

I picked up the complete OT set when they came out, since they were an interesting little novelty act.  Too bad they cut the line short, and ended it at only 6 figures.  But at least they made some decent choices with the 6 they put out...

There's a rather large set of about 12 other figures that look very similar to the Palmtalkers, but are a tad smaller.  They were exclusive to Asia I believe, and often come up when searching for Palm Talkers on eBay.  I'll see if I can dig up a picture of them...

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Kmart Exclusive Super Deformed Figures
« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Hate me if you must but I didn't see a thread for these in here. The Kmart super deformed figures! I wasn't really attracted to these first time around. but after seeing "names" posted on a RS affiliate website...I am interested in picking these up. The next wave called out Maul,stormtrooper, boba(or was it jango?) and vader and 3p0 again. The new ones in particular interested me the most! I would say definately better than the Burger King stuff-although let's see how struggling Kmart prices it....

I was in the episode 3 ROTS forums, I think it was ROTS FIGURES RELEASE forums post #56 by jokabofe in there was a link to a website that " called these out" for outrageous preorders for these
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 11:11 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Kmart Exclusive Super Deformed Figures
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:27 PM »
How in the world did I manage to miss news of the second wave coming out?  I've gotta have these!  I was lucky enough to get my hands on Wave 1, thanks to Jeff.

Wave 1

___ Chewbacca
___ C-3PO
___ Darth Vader
___ R2-D2

Wave 2

___ Boba Fett
___ Darth Maul
___ Stormtrooper
___ Yoda

I believe that the Darth Maul and Yoda ones were previously only available in Japan, so it's pretty cool that we'll be able to get our hands on these now.

Anyone else interested in these?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 11:28 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 11:56 PM »
Yeah, I've got them all from the first time they were available, but I never got Yoda or Maul since they weren't available in the U.S.

And I'm sure they are going to be the hardest ones to find, just for that reason  ::)

At least they packed those two in with two of the more popular ones (Fett and the Stormtrooper) so we may actually get lucky and have the K-Marts re-ordering this assortment on a regular basis since they will probably all sell pretty well.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 06:01 AM »
Yeah, I've got them all from the first time they were available, but I never got Yoda or Maul since they weren't available in the U.S.

Ditto.

Is the Yoda an OT or Prequel version?  Anyone know?  Hopefully OT, though I doubt it...

There's a much larger set of bootleg super deformed figures out of Asia that have been floating around eBay for a long time.  Something like 15-20 of them - mostly TPM based since that's around the time they came out, IIRC.  I almost won an auction for them a few years back, but never tried to track them down again after that.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or better yet, have a set?  (I'm too lazy to go find a pic off of eBay right now though)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 08:38 AM »

Is the Yoda an OT or Prequel version?  Anyone know?  Hopefully OT, though I doubt it...

I found this pic on RS, which makes him look like a Prequel version:

There's a much larger set of bootleg super deformed figures out of Asia that have been floating around eBay for a long time.  Something like 15-20 of them - mostly TPM based since that's around the time they came out, IIRC.  I almost won an auction for them a few years back, but never tried to track them down again after that.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or better yet, have a set?  (I'm too lazy to go find a pic off of eBay right now though)

I'm not sure if I've seen those before or not.  Do you mean these:

I think these ones are a lot smaller, maybe 2 inches tall.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 08:55 PM »
I saw these the other day at Kmart. 10 bucks a pop, yikes. The funny thing is the only one missing was the Stormie.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 10:02 PM »
The first 8 (6?) came up here during POTJ, only to TRU.  I owned Vader, Boba, Stormtrooper and passed on the others.  I subsequently traded away Boba and the Stormie. 

If I see them, I'll probably snag them again, I love the Vader.  I'd add Maul and Yoda likely as well.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 09:34 PM »
I never saw these during their POTJ release, so these are a necessity for me now.  Although I did get my hands on a POTJ Vader Palm Talker a couple years ago on eBay, simply because I can't pass up on anything Vader.

If anyone is lucky enough to grab the complete ROTS 2nd wave of these (Maul, Yoda, Stormie, Fett), I'd gladly buy them.  Gladly.   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 2, 2005, 11:06 PM »
They only went to TRU Jesse, so unless you were in one of the cities at just the right time, you'd have missed them. 

Saw lots of wave 1 this weekend but none of wave two.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: October 9, 2005, 05:30 AM »
Saw the remnants of the second wave for the first time yesterday.  Picked up the only Yoda, but unfortunately Maul was nowhere to be found...  I've still got

I'm not sure if I've seen those before or not.  Do you mean these:

I think these ones are a lot smaller, maybe 2 inches tall.

Yep, that's them alright.  Seemed like there were more before, but maybe that's because I usually see them all in one long line, instead of two shorter ones.  They were going for dirt cheap for a while there (under $20), since the Asian dealers were flooding the (eBay) market with them.  If there were more OT ones in there, I probably would've bit.  Damned Gungans...  ::)