Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Previous Months  (Read 113862 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 5 - Bounty Hunters and Terrorists!
« Reply #630 on: September 24, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Ok, my "official entry" for this will be later in the week, but I decided to put something else in here too.  I am currently making some more customs for the Rykrof Enloe series, and finished this one up today.  He fits in well for this month I think.  He is a fan fic Bounty Hunter named Saito Rest.

To make the figure, I used a SAGA Snowtrooper torso, and the legs/arms from an XD figure, and the helmet is a Jango Fett.  Repainted several coats of dull green and black to make a dark color, and dry brushed with light tan paint.

My other figure will be up later this week, since it was made soley for this month's challenge.  But I think it will fit in well for the photonovel series as well.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #631 on: September 24, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Justin - I commented more on this in your thread, but he isn't my favorite, I think that the arms are way too long, they look goofy. I think it has potential to be are really good custom, you just need to shorten the arms and maybe break up the color by darkening his armor a bit.

Paul - I'll be lucky if my Trando turns out half that good. I LOVE how you used the fleshlike color. It makes him very un-Bossk like, which is a very good thing. Nice choice of accessories, I really like the mine, it is very fitting. He looks like he could blend in with normal civilians which is what really makes him look so good.
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #632 on: September 24, 2005, 09:45 PM »
Oh one more thing I'll add all the entries so far to the image thread sometime late tonight or later this weekend since it is the last week of September now. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 24, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Phruby: Love the Trando terrorist...the colors you chose blend well, and the sculpey isn't noticeable unless you REALLY look for it. The skin tone is what really brings this one home, though. Probably one of my favorites that you have done.

Chewie: I like the basic look of this guy, and it's a great use of parts...but I agree with Ryan that his arms look too long. I think it's the extended forearms that the Endor rebel gloves give him. I also would like to see a LITTLE more color on this one, but then, the one tone armor makes sense if it serves as camoflage for wherever he's fighting.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 24, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Here is my Bounty hunter/terrorist challenge submission: An Ubese bounty hunter named Jeeb. I like how it turned out and I've even made a thermal detonator for him, but have lost it before I took the photos. if it turns up again, I'll post pics of him with it.

EDIT: I replaced the big picture with a cropped one that Chewie provided for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Sakamaku/P1010110.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/Sakamaku/P1010107.jpg
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 11:51 AM by ThePerennial »

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 24, 2005, 10:57 PM »
Wow! Perennial just raised the bar on creativity. No one ever does any Ubese! I really dig this one, so much so that I'm going to steal the recipe.  :P

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 24, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Chewie, great looking terrorist! I like the look of the chest armor over a shirt that isn't tucked into the pants. I also like how you dry brushed it with tan. It gives this kind of stone-like look.

ThePerennial also wonderful guy you made. I like the use of the CW Anakin arms and the royal guard legs. It gives a nice different look from the Leia version. Very creative.

Thanks guys for the comments. I really like the way mine looks. I tried to come as close to Chewie drybrushing as I could. I kind of needed to since the head wasn't green.

Can't wait to see more this week!

Now I got to finish my Snoova for FFURG or Jason will kill me. ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2005, 01:44 AM »
Wow! Perennial just raised the bar on creativity. No one ever does any Ubese! I really dig this one, so much so that I'm going to steal the recipe.  :P

-DD

You took the words right outta my mouth... I'm definitely going to have to steal that recipe, or at least parts of it  ;D

Great work all around guys, those are some great figures. I don't know if I'll have a chance to whip something up for this month, but maybe in the next Customizing Challenge I'll make something  ;)

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #638 on: September 25, 2005, 05:05 AM »
CHEWIE, very nice job and awesome parts choice. One thing, I would give him a LITTLE bit more color. Now he looks like a statue... Just a few details with a more flashy color would spring this dude alive!

Very cool job on the Boussh as well! Wauw, a lot mor dynamic than the ones Hasbro has given us!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #639 on: September 25, 2005, 05:24 AM »
I love that ubese Perennial! The part choice is fantastic, the Jedi robes and the Royal guard boots fit together perfectly. I like how you changed up the helmet color too.

Would you mind cropping that picture so it isn't so big when I stick it in the image thread? :P
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2005, 11:03 AM »
Wow, that Jeeb figure is outstanding.  What a combination of parts, and a sweet paint application.  That is one of the coolest figures I've ever seen anyone make.  Well done Perennial!!! 

I resized the pic some for the thread, hope that is ok.

And yes, I will go back and modify that Bounty Hunter some that I made.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2005, 12:00 PM »
 Thanks for the feedback, guys! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you all like it so much! It was so much fun doing this bounty hunter cause it was so challanging: I wanted to make an ubese and stay true to the design, but I wanted to make it look male, so I couldn't use any of the body parts from the original boussh fig other than the helmet and the weapon. I also had to come up with parts that looked good and not silly, and I think I've succeeded. My only gripe is the skirt. you can't see it, but in the back, the belt puffs out because the hole for it and the gen are different.

Everyone's welcome to steal the recipe if they need it and if there's any confusion about parts used, I'll clear that up right now:

Arms and Torso: Clone Wars Anakin

Skirt: ROTS Dooku

Legs: ROTS Royal Guard

Helmet and force pike: POTF2 Leia in boussh disguise

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2005, 12:09 PM »
CHEWIE - I said more in your personal thread, but I really like your bounty hunter.  The "look" to him is very cool, as others have said, a little more color to his armor would be a nice touch.

ThePerennial - Excellent parts usage on Jeeb!  Great work!  I don't know what else to say, it's very original (I think this is the first Ubese custom that I have seen that wasn't a "Boushh").  Is the helmet still removable?  Was it hard to paint on the soft rubber of the helmet?
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2005, 12:13 PM »
ThePerennial - Excellent parts usage on Jeeb!  Great work!  I don't know what else to say, it's very original (I think this is the first Ubese custom that I have seen that wasn't a "Boushh").  Is the helmet still removable?  Was it hard to paint on the soft rubber of the helmet?

Yes, the helmet's still removable, but I painted over the clone wars anakin head, so I won't be removing it any time soon. I'm wondering whether or not I should replace the pained anakin head with an Episode I Mace Windu head, though. It was pretty easy painting over the soft plastic of the removable helmet, actually. It just took a couple of thin coats as opposed to one application.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Ok, I redid that Bounty Hunter to make his arms a better length, and somewhat different paint scheme.