Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Previous Months  (Read 113320 times)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 4 - DROIDS!
« Reply #375 on: August 11, 2005, 04:12 PM »
Not all of us at RS are uninterested in group projects. As a matter of fact I asked you when the next one was going to be. I didn't have the skills to do the last one, But I,m up for one now. Now granted I cant gaurantee that there will be anyone else at RS that would be willing unless its a clone repaint. ;D BUt you have to admit some of those EU clones are really excellent work.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2005, 11:15 PM »
*slides Commander Cow aside*

Who wants to repaint sucky clones, anyway! >:( :-[

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2005, 12:47 AM »
Ok, I think this has gone pretty far with a lot of different ideas.  Unless someone objects, when September starts I am going to change the title of the thread to Month 5 - Bounty Hunters/Terrorists.  Month 6, I think it should be Confederate Troopers... such a cool idea.

Those are some pretty cool ideas you had Rolla Jedi.  I don't see any reason why we couldn't try something like that.

And it seems like we have so many ideas; but what the hell.  Here's another one.  Snoova!  The stupid Wookiee figure of Chewbacca that Hasbro made in the SOTE line, but the rule would be that you have to use a Chewbacca figure from the POTJ, SAGA, VOTC or ROTS line.  Nobody else may be up for that (I think it would make an interesting Group Project), so if not, I'll just make my own version someday.

Back on topic for Month 4 though... has anyone started their custom yet?  I am brainstorming some ideas in my head.  I am going to make two different customs; one that is kind of a somewhat mainstream type of Star Wars droid, and one that is totally different from anything we've seen before.

I need to get moving on it though because I have actually a commission group of figures for someone that I have to get working on right away.  I probably won't take on any more commissions for a while though; I feel really pressured to make them perfect (which is something I just can't do). 

:P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 12:48 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2005, 01:33 AM »
Snoova is a pretty cool idea. Since we are going to do a group project here and at ffurg for september maybe I'll make Snoova over at FFURG and Customs of Us over here.

Bounty hunters/terrorists for september CCC over here.  That means I've got to make three fairly complex figures next month. Thank goodness I have an idea for all three.  ;D
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2005, 10:23 AM »
I think the interest at scum is there but we've been doing some very advanced customs.
I think the easier ones over there would be a hit.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2005, 10:54 AM »
Ok, I think this has gone pretty far with a lot of different ideas.  Unless someone objects, when September starts I am going to change the title of the thread to Month 5 - Bounty Hunters/Terrorists.  Month 6, I think it should be Confederate Troopers... such a cool idea.

Those are some pretty cool ideas you had Rolla Jedi.  I don't see any reason why we couldn't try something like that.

And it seems like we have so many ideas; but what the hell.  Here's another one.  Snoova!  The stupid Wookiee figure of Chewbacca that Hasbro made in the SOTE line, but the rule would be that you have to use a Chewbacca figure from the POTJ, SAGA, VOTC or ROTS line.  Nobody else may be up for that (I think it would make an interesting Group Project), so if not, I'll just make my own version someday.

Back on topic for Month 4 though... has anyone started their custom yet?  I am brainstorming some ideas in my head.  I am going to make two different customs; one that is kind of a somewhat mainstream type of Star Wars droid, and one that is totally different from anything we've seen before.

I need to get moving on it though because I have actually a commission group of figures for someone that I have to get working on right away.  I probably won't take on any more commissions for a while though; I feel really pressured to make them perfect (which is something I just can't do). 

Those months sound good to me, Bounty Hunter/Terrorist and then Confed Troopers -> very cool!

I started on my "droid", but I was kind of rushing through it since I don't have much time these days  :-\
I'm making a janitor droid using the sneak preview  Grievous (w/mop!) and he will have a bucketbot made out of an astromech  ;)  I'll try to finish them up when I get back from my trip on Wednesday. 

CHEWIE - I agree with you about the commissioned figures.  I've done 1 so far and I spent about twice as long making him as I would a "normal" custom.  I feel bad about selling my customs to people, so I have turned down most offers for commissioned figures.  Still man, I wouldn't worry about your customs not coming out great, they always do!  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2005, 11:11 AM »
you guys are brave for doing customs for others!  I never think my work is good enough, so I would never do it.  I'm about half-way there on my HK-47 droid.  It looks pretty good so far.  I've had to get lots of reference pics to get him right.
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2005, 04:58 PM »
I think the interest at scum is there but we've been doing some very advanced customs.
I think the easier ones over there would be a hit.

I agree with Glassman. I'm sure the interest is there. But from my personal experience, my customs are PATHETIC compared to the masters like Glass , Phruby and Chewie. It can be really intimidating especially to beginners. Theres just no way we can compete. The Ballet dancer and Bettie bot group projects were outstanding, and a lot of us at RS (myself included) just didnt have the talent. BUt I beleive if we can do a "simple" project over at RS more people would respond. Something like The Tauntaunweequay mockup of Baron Papanoida or something simple like that. BUt as far as the Snoova idea I think its excellent. I may have try that one out.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2005, 05:11 PM »
My reason for not wanting to do a group project over at RS right now is the last one generated zero critical or 'thats neat' responses (except from those that participated) once all of the figures where done.

I'm thinking Snoova is going to be the FFURG character for the casting call. Customs of us will be for here.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2005, 05:17 PM »
Well, I do have to agree with you on that. My Great pegwarmer roundup pretty much fizzled too. :( But I say we keep trying. I'm gonna try to find a suitable Chewie for my entry. Do you have to be registered at FFURG to participate? I didn't know they had a message board.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Yah, you should go and register over there. It's a nice little customizing forum with some really talented people. That way you can do both projects.

Getting back to Chewie's CC. I have a new droid in the works right now. He is a duplicate of my lifesize Pepsi cooler. I'm going to be using an R3 droid with Pepsi bottles sticking out of the dome. He will be painted white and blue like R2. The words Pepsi will be on the back with some logos on it. Hopefully, it will look something like this:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2005, 11:14 PM »
That looks amazing Phruby!  Wow!

I just wish that Coca Cola was more of a sponsor for Star Wars, I always prefer Coke over Pepsi.   :)

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2005, 01:25 AM »
That looks amazing Phruby!  Wow!

I just wish that Coca Cola was more of a sponsor for Star Wars, I always prefer Coke over Pepsi.   :)

W00t! I'm a coke man, too!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Me too. 8)

Have a Coke and a smile. :D

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 14, 2005, 03:46 PM »
My mother used to drink Pepsi exclusively. And its for that very reason I despise it to this day. By the time I actually moved out I couldnt stand the taste the taste of pepsi. I damn near went insane when "New Coke" was released. It was a terrible time in my life, I still cant speak about it. :'(