Author Topic: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Roron Corobb Version 2 7/8/06!  (Read 26140 times)

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
This is long overdue, but things have been beyond busy so i did manage to take some time and get a few photos snapped.

i didn't forget about the group project customs everyone else did of themselves, and i finally have WIP shots. i hope to get it painted and completed before Christmas and i will add blood/bloody effects  :D

i am also including a few of Clone Trooper photos. The first is of Bly and one of his grunts. i know the grunt is more yellow, while Bly is more "mustardy" but i was going by a reference photo of him on a speeder bike over at ffurg.com.

the other is a EU design inspired by jubjubjedi's wonderful drawings. i call him an Elite Mygeeto Clone Commander. i don't have a name for him yet, but i think of him as a precursor to an AT-AT Commander, much like an early day General Veers, but in Clone form if that makes sense.

the green Kashyyyk clone grunt and Utapau clone grunt w/removable helmet (tank gunner) were done for a friend.

i'll put up some 12" shots in a week or so. most of them are taken apart/WIP and the 12" i had completed were sold to help with my husband's dentist bill + car insurance.  :-[   but i learned a lot from doing them and they went to good new homes, and i will make better Version 2's for me to keep  :D

anyhoo, i hope that everyone enjoys  :)

Keri

« Last Edit: July 9, 2006, 12:26 AM by darth_ripley »

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: darth_ripley's customs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:22 AM »
Well done Ripley, well done. 

Chest-bursted Keri is awesome.

The Clone's weathering is slightly understated, which I like, and their lines look great.

B

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 12:00 PM »
Well done indeed! You've done a great job on these guys. The lines are nice and straight and lightly weathered. Just the way I like them.  I can tell Chest-bursted Keri is going to be a fantastic figure. I like how you attached the hair. I think all you need is a night to yourself to finish her. Is the imperial guard helmet going to fit over the head?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Nice update, very nice indeed.  Lot of Clones (but who hasn't found themself addicted to that), but the coolest one is the self custom.  I love how you are sculpting the hair.  Very cool, and the little alien coming out is gross, yet cool.

:P

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Hah! Nice clones, I Like Bly the best. Love the alien.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 05:02 PM »
First of all, thanks for all the nice words everyone!  ;D

bjardkerr, thanks for the complement on the weathering! i had some early clones that were way over done so i really learned my lesson on being more subtle. less really is more.

Phruby, i hope that the Royal Guard helmet will fit over the head, i'm going to get joe to help me carefully hollow it out. that is my plan though  ;)

Chewie, you are right about getting caught up in the Clone Craze. i've pretty much had my fun with it for now. i just was lucky enough to get a Bantha5 Neyo & Cody kit so i will make those & a movie accurate Gree later on after New Year's.

the clones were a great starting point for me to experiment with paints and techniques, so they were a springboard for me to start more complex projects like my little chestburster. :)

i'm currently working on a soft goods Clone Wars Obi-Wan Clone disguise, 12" Jango, 12" Han, 12" Chewie, 12" Obi-Wan Clone disguise and a 12" secret Jedi  ;D

after Phruby's excellent Holiday Special acrobat, i am planning on lining up some characters to do from that...i'm ready to do something Hasbro will never tackle.  :D

so hopefully my next update won't be so overdue   ;)

Keri

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Chestburster completed!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 01:13 AM »
well, as busy as i have been lately and as stressful as things have been, i did complete my chestburster me for the group project. i'm ashamed it took me so long to complete, but it has been my most complex custom undertaking to date. i'm really pleased with how it turned out. i have to remove my head to put on the Royal Guard helmet, but at least i can put it on if i want to.  ;D

i also finished up my Clone Wars Season 2 Obi-Wan in Clone armor (real world interpretation). after seeing everyone else's i wanted to have one of my very own  :)

i want to do a soft goods cape for him, but i don't have any more AOTC Jedi pilot Obi-Wan capes left and i keep getting outbid/missing them on ebay. if anyone has that cape let me know, and maybe we can work out a trade or something. that's all i need to finish this figure up.

i should have another update after the New Year, so stay tuned  ;)

any comments & suggestions are welcome and as always please enjoy  :D

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: darth_ripley's customs - UPDATE Chestburster Complete!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:40 AM »
Nice work… I love all the blood  ;D

And I really like your Obi-Wan A+
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 09:41 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 09:47 AM »
d_r:

Wow, what a sweet self-custom! I hadn't seen this one previously to know it was a longtime coming, but clearly it was worth whatever wait was involved! How did you accomplish the little burster head!? It's amazing! I love the stoic look on your face, too. Almost like we've captured the moment right before you realize a small, nasty alien has emerged from just under your ribcage :p

The ability to swap heads for the Imperial Guard only adds to the cool factor. I know it's not Star Wars at its core, but this is honestly one of the most creative customs I can remember seeing here. You are to be congratulated on a job well done!

The General Obi is soemthing I can dig, too. Using the brown on the joins and gloves looks great for consistency. He's a *tad* shiny in some of the brown areas, but that could be from the camera flash. If not, I'd recommend a dullcote. Otherwise I'm really loving your rendition, especially the use of elbow pads.

Too bad you don't update more often, but I suspect it's because you're projects are *this* good and simply require more time. Congrats again!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:01 AM »
Well it's about Bloody time!  ;D

She came out absolutely brillant! The chest buster is really nasty looking. The look on her face is priceless! The blood splatter is really well done. I can tell you didn't just finish this in twenty minutes. You really took your time to get this to look fabulous! The idea of swapping heads was a good one. Too bad the head doesn't fit inside but I don't think you could have done it anyway. The hair is nicely colored with some highlights. It really does look like you. Now you need to card her.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 10:54 AM »
I was "bursting" with anticipation waiting for this one rip!

Great self custom!  I think the facial expression should be less happy.
She looks like she's dealing with an alien popping out her chest really well!  ;)

Great Kenobi. I always love seeing him in clone armor.

Great work!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 10:38 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 12:11 AM »
thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

In Rem, the bloody ripley chestburster is a custom of myself. it was part of a group project we did here before you joined i think. you can see the thread here, along with pics of us all. i used a micro machines Alien, cut the head off and got my husband to dremel out a hole for him to go into. i used epoxy to fill in around it so it would look like it was popping out  ;D

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9040.0

i do need to hit Obi-wan with some more dullcote, i don't know why his legs are still kinda shiny. i do tend to take awhile on customs, and my time is so limited sometimes it takes an eternity to get something done. i am hoping next year will be a little easier  :)

Thanks a bunch Phruby! carding is a great idea, i hadn't thought of it! i'm not sure which style to do though...i'll have to look at the template vault at ffurg to get some ideas.

Glassman, thanks for the great comments. You are one of the many VERY talented customizers that i look up to, so its awesome hearing that from you. the head i used was a GI Joe Scarlett head, (BIG Thanks to DD for it!) i wish the expression was a little more "AHHH!" or something, but when i wear this at Halloween i kinda look the same lol!  :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:35 AM by darth_ripley »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:48 AM »
Disgusting.  But nonetheless very cool.  I like the blood spatter - a lot of blood, but not overdone.  It looks completely real in a very sick way.  Great work!  Wonder if there's any way to make the face look like she's screaming?

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 11:34 AM »
This head would have worked for screaming but I think it would be difficult to get that hair style.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Wow, AMAZING job on the chest burster!  Wonderful!  May I ask what head you used for that, I don't think I've seen it before (either that or your hair sculpting is so brilliant that it perfectly conceals the origins of the head.)

Bravo.  Great work.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality