Author Topic: VH1.com's I Love Toys.  (Read 13638 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: VH1.com's I Love Toys.
« Reply #45 on: March 9, 2006, 11:58 AM »
One thing I noticed from the past couple night's episodes, an appearance by Chunk (Jeff Cohen) from Goonies!  The first time I've seen him on television aside from that film I think.  Anyways, it was kind of cool to see him as part of this lineup.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 9, 2006, 12:31 PM »

I wasn't trying to be insulting or rude. I was just pointing out the fact that you didn't need to be born in the late 60's, early 70's to appreciate these toys as you had stated. I never once said that all of these toys were made in the 80's. I'm not that naive nor stupid. And there ARE toys from the 80's on the list:

- Transformers (i'm talking about the US incarnation)
- He-Man/Masters of the Universe
- Rainbow Brite
- Care Bears

If you were paying attention I was referring to the list of the final top 20 that lady Jay posted in purple....NONE of those toys were born in the 80's ::)
The majority of the toys on the list of the final top 20 are mostly originated from the 50's,60's, 70's 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 9, 2006, 03:20 PM »

Morgbug, debt was a lot more serious back 25-30 years ago given the massive interest rates.  I don't believe many people even realize the vast difference from the last 70's to today.  I can't fathom interest rates like that!

Interest rates on things like personal loans, mortgages and the like, yes.  I well remember mortgage rates topping in excess of 20%.  At the same time though most people did not carry near the same amount of debt on their credit card.  Additionally credit card interest rates, while lower than the 80s, still runs pretty close to 18-20% and most people make only the minimum payment.  So yeah, I can see where some aspect of doubt has been reduced, but it may well have simply been replaced by puchasing "stuff". 

I can easily see interest rates climbing in the not too distant future as well.  Perhaps not to where they were in the 80s, but certainly higher than they are right now.  And when that happens, it won't matter if it's sitting on your mortgage or on your credit card, it's going to hurt.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #48 on: March 9, 2006, 04:56 PM »
I think a lot of the comedians who do these I Love shows are getting really tiresome of it...
some of it just seems repetitive...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: March 9, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I think a lot of the comedians who do these I Love shows are getting really tiresome of it...

What?  You mean that after "I LOVE THE 80s, Part 15" they might be a bit bored doing the same schtick over and over and over?  :D

I think that VH1 has driven the whole "I love the..." concept right into the ground. 

"I love the 80s" was kinda cool in a way at the start, but VH1 desperately needs some new show ideas.  I don't think they will go very far with The Adventures of Flava Flav 3, I love the 80s part 16, Celebrity Fat People 4, etc etc etc.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 9, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Didn't anybody see Michael Ian Black ask the 8 ball how many more of these shows he'd have to do for VH1?  There's something really wrong with that guy but that's besides the point.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 9, 2006, 10:58 PM »
I've loved him ever since that first episode of ED. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Well, the final 20 are tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing them get to Star Wars action figures.  The NES made an appearance last night, at #21 I believe.  Although VH1 has kind of overdone the "I Love" stuff, I have enjoyed this one.  The first "I Love the 80s" was probably my favorite, but surprisingly they don't seem to re-air those very often.  Usually its the "Strikes Back", "3D", or one of the other decades that are aired and re-aired so often.  They haven't been too bad, but most of the stuff can be covered the first time around.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I love Michael Ian Black! He's, like, the funniest person on the "I Love..." shows.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2006, 04:10 PM »
I'll see if I can tune in tonight!! I want to see what they give the reasons as to why the Hula Hoop is number one!! ;)
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2006, 06:44 PM »
What time's it on tonight?
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55 PM »
What time's it on tonight?

9:30-11 ET.

I'll probably watch it.

:P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:55 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Well, I enjoyed watching and recanting... I hope everyone remembers what Play-Doh tastes like...

I thought Crayons were under-rated, by the way.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2006, 12:41 AM »
I hope everyone remembers what Play-Doh tastes like...

Salt. :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2006, 12:53 AM »
Yeah I wasn't even thinking about credit card rates, that's a horrible place to carry debt.  20% on a mortgage I can't imagine how people pulled that off. heh

As to kids and too much technology stiffling their imaginations; parents hold the responsiblity, but I think it is harder these days.  Beyond the sexed/culted up versions of children's TV, you have to watch out for those totally out of context commercials for even the "ok" TV shows.  If you just remove the kids totally from TV you then have to search for toys that aren't lousey.  They all make noise, and move and flash lights now.  I remember the late 80's when GI Joe added all the firing missiles, I hated that.  Then there were the action karate chops and color change plastics, batteries included.

Of course we always have Star Wars to fall back on! WOO HOO

<<< I think comedians and mostly the 'hasbeen' actors are just happy for a PAYING gig.  :P  Unless they aren't paid! ACK, the horrors!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 12:53 AM by dafoo »
who Learned you To spoke!