Author Topic: SAGA price hike?  (Read 11287 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
SAGA price hike?
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Anyone think they will jump up to around $6.00 instead of the $5.00 we are used to with ROTS (and most prior lines)?

:P

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
Re: SAGA price hike?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 03:58 PM »
Well, I've justed started collecting with the Revenge of the Sith toyline so I cannot give you an "educated" answer. However, considering that there will be no movies driving the line Hasbro will probably raise the price of their figures simply to earn a reasonable profit.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Like with everything else right now, I am sure that the prices will list at $6.99 since the ROTS are listed usually at $5.88 or $5.99 depending on the store. The $4.97 or so price that we see now is an adjustment.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Like with everything else right now, I am sure that the prices will list at $6.99 since the ROTS are listed usually at $5.88 or $5.99 depending on the store. The $4.97 or so price that we see now is an adjustment.

Yeah, I'd guess that the $6 price is probably going to be the start price.

I think the reason that Wal-Mart and Target can charge less ($4.79) is due to volume.  In other words, if Wal-Mart and Target are still ordering (and then selling) tons of figures, the price will stay low.

If the sales droop because it's a non-movie, non-TV year then you'll probaly see the $5.50-$6.00 range again.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:26 PM »
$6.99?  Let's hope not... but I do think we'll see Walmart back up to $5.88 with SAGA, and Target around that price.  TRU could hit $6.99 though, but God I hope not.

I just can't stomach 7 bucks a figure... I'd still collect, but I would not buy as much fodder and extras for customs.   Plus sales would dwindle a lot.  The hardcore collectors will stay in it, but moms aren't going to want to buy junior that Barada or Riekken for that much as often.  An extra $2.00 adds up quickly.

Hopefully though, with the TV series, we'll still see quantity on the shelves (and quality too) which should help keep prices in check.

:P

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Either way, it's still cheaper than the 7.99 I paid in NYC for the E1 figures the day they hit!  And, yes, I think they'll go up a buck.  This seems to have been the case in the past.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 12:52 AM »
Insert standard Canadian whine where retail varies from $7.97-9.99 plus 14% taxes. 

Carry on.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:23 AM »
I think the price will go up as well. However, with less volume than the ROTS line, I'll still not be spending as much cash. 8)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Yeah, undoubtedly it will go up and the retailers will scratch their heads wondering why the SW product is not moving as fast and say "Ohhhh, see that SW stuff nobody buys any of that anymore.  Just leave that stuff on the pegs for a year and not order anymore."  LOL! 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 03:05 PM »
It will go up but if you think about it you're spending that extra buck on the "Hologram Figure." 

Although I really like getting 4 figures for just above $20 though. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:07 PM »
It would be really nice to see things stay at the $5-ish range for next year, but I sort of expect us to be back around $6 or so.  I can deal with that, but when it gets above that and up to $7-8, that starts getting a little too pricey.  I kind of think we'll see a new pricepoint after the holiday clearances and the 2006 reset in the toy aisles, and hopefully it will stay below $6.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 08:18 PM »
non-movie year = higher prices.

I think Hasbro has proven this to be the case time and time.

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Insert standard Canadian whine where retail varies from $7.97-9.99 plus 14% taxes. 

Carry on.

Ah yes.   :-\

Carry on.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 02:12 PM »

Carry on.

Ah yes.   :-\

Carry on.

14.5% in British columbia..

(carry on.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 06:17 PM »
non-movie year = higher prices.

I think Hasbro has proven this to be the case time and time./quote]

Not necessarilly...  E1's movie year saw the biggest price jump.  That carried over into Power of the Jedi, but only briefly as then the figures came back down to $5.99 and even $4.99-ish.

Saga saw more of a shift to the $4.99 if I recall, but didn't they first arrive at $5.99 till "price adjustment" started between the competing retailers?  I forget now it's been a little while.

There was some price fluctuations but ROTS started at $5.99 which was fine enough...  Jumping to $6.99 is going to sting if that is the case, and definitely will have a negative affect on how much I buy, and what I buy...  I'll pass on things like Hoth R2-D2 whereas I MIGHT have bought one otherwise.

I think what we'll see is perhaps an increase, but then a leveling out to the $5.99 (or even lower depending how competitive the line still remains at retail) by retailers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77