Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 117249 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2005, 11:00 AM »
Some people just build better auctions than others.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2005, 01:51 PM »
And the results are...

Target - 4:00 AM today appeared there were 16 people in line for a store that got 8 premium and 8 core systems  :(.

Another two Targets - same story  :(.

Costco - 4:45 AM 24 allocated for the store, my son and I were number #25 in line   :-X.

Another Costco - 5:00 AM 24 allocated for the store, my son and I were #20 in line  ;D!!!  I was amazed as this Costco was closer to the city and I was not even going to go there.

Costco bundle = Premium system with 360 unit, wireless controller, hard drive, HD cable, ethernet cable, Live headset plus one game, another wireless controller, plug and play charger and a remote control for $479.99.

I hear most of you on the price.  I was able to sell my boys XBOX and PS2's with games for $350.00 on ebaY so I had no problem with upgrading them for $125.00 or so more.

Looks absolutely stunning on the 50' plasma.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:15 PM by DaBigKahuna »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Wow..that Costco bundle you got was a great deal! I'll let my friends know about that one, just in case Costco gets more soon.  Most of them were unable to score a 360 last night, because none of them pre-ordered. I had two pre-orders so I gave one away to my buddy and he just has to pay me back my down payment.  ;D

I'm very jealous of your 50 foot plasma by the way.  That must be a marvel.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2005, 05:01 PM »

I'm very jealous of your 50 foot plasma by the way. That must be a marvel. ;D

;-)

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2005, 05:21 PM »
already have the $ 400 one (yay harddrive...)  last may.   ;D

what about not being able to play old x-box games with out paying extra?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2005, 06:39 PM »
The Core package is not backward compatible.  You need the HDD to download patches that'll allow old games to run.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2005, 06:51 PM »
Now THAT is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. Paying to have a system be backwards compatible? It should be free! I guess ol' Bill needs even more of our money. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2005, 08:16 PM »
The Xbox 1.0 had a hard drive. Many of the games used that hard drive for assorted things (caching to speed up load times, etc, etc).

How they could make the Core version backwards compatible with no hard drive would be a puzzling challenge, but I do agree that it sucks that only the premium is back compatible.

Actually...I'll take it a step further and repeat my grumblings about the Core in general.  I guess it's good if you are buying a second system, or a system for kids that don't care about Live, Backwards Compatibility, Storing lots of music or photos, Media Center stuff, plus the potential of "additional features". 

For me, getting the premium was a no brainer.

By the way....PGR3 rocks my socks off.  Of course...I am now a certified Xbox 360 fanboy, so my opinion may be weighted towards loving it.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:19 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2005, 01:28 AM »
A guy on this website has already taken one apart. Pretty interesting article.

Offline Avenging Knight

• Jedi Initiate
  • Guardian of Truth and Justice..and stuff like that
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2005, 01:55 AM »
I got one at Sams Club this morning. Gotta thank my mother-in-law that she put me on her business account. Everything looks awesome on my Sony 42" LCD projection.  ;D

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2005, 06:14 AM »
JoshEEE,

I agree with you about the core, what were they thinking.  On top of the obvious problem with supply and demand half if not more gamers got stuck with the core when they wanted a premium.

Think about the dollars you save on the premium with all the extra stuff.

Avenging Knight,

Congrats, do share your Sams Club experience.

Offline Avenging Knight

• Jedi Initiate
  • Guardian of Truth and Justice..and stuff like that
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2005, 10:47 AM »

Avenging Knight,

Congrats, do share your Sams Club experience.
It wasn't bad. I got there a little after midnight and waited with a couple of other guys until about 4:30 when a bunch of people showed up. They only had 20 (they reserved 5 for employees). The manager kept on top of it by checking periodically until 15 people were waiting so he would know who they were. He kept telling everybody else they weren't going to get one but for some reason they stuck around anyway. All in all it wasn't bad.

SilverZ

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Article on Gamasutra today:

Analysts Estimate $127 Loss On Every Xbox 360
Researchers from electronics supply chain iSuppli have estimated, in a new analyst report, that the new Xbox 360 console is being sold at a loss of $127 to Microsoft. Analysis of the console by iSuppli has found that, according to them, the materials inside the unit cost $470 before assembly.

Additional items packaged inside the premium $399 Xbox 360 package, including the power supply, cables and controller, adds another $55 to the cost, resulting in a loss of $126. This figure is apparently assuming considerable discounts on the components and does not take into account marketing, distribution and other extraneous costs.

Regarding the original Xbox console, iSuppli estimates that it was sold at a loss of $24 at a retail price of $299, although this is actually significantly lower than most other estimates. Sony consoles are also traditionally sold at a loss, although revisions to manufacturing techniques and a lowering of components costs has previously seen hardware sales move into profit after a year or two on the market.

An unnamed Microsoft spokeswoman, talking to Business Week Online, has stated that Microsoft is planning for a “gross margin neutral” strategy in 2006, with profits expected to begin in 2007, as hardware costs lower and sales of more expensive next generation games software and accessories makes up the deficit.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2005, 02:37 PM »
That power supply is a behemoth.  I figured it cost at LEAST 100 dollars just for the materials.   ;D

By the way, the reports on the net are true. The thing runs really hot if you put it in an entertainment center.  I noticed it's quieter than my Xbox, so perhaps that's why.  I took it out and put it on top of the thing.....and it wasn't so hot anymore. 

Perhaps this is another Microsoft strategy.  It gets angry, unless you display it for all to see.   ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Article on Gamasutra today:

Analysts Estimate $127 Loss On Every Xbox 360
Researchers from electronics supply chain iSuppli have estimated, in a new analyst report, that the new Xbox 360 console is being sold at a loss of $127 to Microsoft. Analysis of the console by iSuppli has found that, according to them, the materials inside the unit cost $470 before assembly.

Additional items packaged inside the premium $399 Xbox 360 package, including the power supply, cables and controller, adds another $55 to the cost, resulting in a loss of $126. This figure is apparently assuming considerable discounts on the components and does not take into account marketing, distribution and other extraneous costs.

Regarding the original Xbox console, iSuppli estimates that it was sold at a loss of $24 at a retail price of $299, although this is actually significantly lower than most other estimates. Sony consoles are also traditionally sold at a loss, although revisions to manufacturing techniques and a lowering of components costs has previously seen hardware sales move into profit after a year or two on the market.

An unnamed Microsoft spokeswoman, talking to Business Week Online, has stated that Microsoft is planning for a “gross margin neutral” strategy in 2006, with profits expected to begin in 2007, as hardware costs lower and sales of more expensive next generation games software and accessories makes up the deficit.

Isn't the money made on the games anyway?  So what if you lose $100+ per unit when you are making $90 of pure profit per cartridge? 

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.