Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 117248 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Re: XBox 360
« Reply #435 on: August 26, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Keep an eye on amazon. They sometimes have hdmi cables for 1 cent (plus $2.98 shipping). You don't have to buy $20 hdmi cables. You get no degrade in picture quality since the picture is sent digitally.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Keep an eye on amazon. They sometimes have hdmi cables for 1 cent (plus $2.98 shipping). You don't have to buy $20 hdmi cables. You get no degrade in picture quality since the picture is sent digitally.

Thanks MP!
I appreciate the help.
This will help me hook up some other stuff.
The X-Box though does not use traditional cords, you have to buy the hook up specific to it.
Bastards!

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 27, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Sounds like you have an older X-Box then that requires you to get that cable from Microsoft to utilize HDMI.

I know a lot of people are Monster Cable crazy so I thought I would share with you what I saw on Newegg (awesome site fyi) the other day.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155344&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082610-_-EMC-082610-Index-_-AudioVideoAccessories-_-82155344-L011B

HDMI, Surge protector, and cleaner for $35 shipped after using the discount code.  but as others said you definitely can get HDMI cables cheaper.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #438 on: August 27, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Sounds like you have an older X-Box then that requires you to get that cable from Microsoft to utilize HDMI.

No, if it's an older Xbox that doesn't have an HDMI out, then he can't do HDMI.  He'll need to buy a component cable to get HD.  They're two different things.

I know a lot of people are Monster Cable crazy so I thought I would share with you what I saw on Newegg (awesome site fyi) the other day.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155344&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082610-_-EMC-082610-Index-_-AudioVideoAccessories-_-82155344-L011B

HDMI, Surge protector, and cleaner for $35 shipped after using the discount code.  but as others said you definitely can get HDMI cables cheaper.

None of this is going to help him if he doesn't have an HDMI output on his machine.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 27, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Before I got an HDMI cable I originally bought a universal component cable from Gamestop for my 360. It can be used for 360, PS3 and Wii (though not at the same time). Cost about $15 and worked great.

They have it online too
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 27, 2010, 01:44 PM »

No, if it's an older Xbox that doesn't have an HDMI out, then he can't do HDMI.  He'll need to buy a component cable to get HD.  They're two different things.

I know a lot of people are Monster Cable crazy so I thought I would share with you what I saw on Newegg (awesome site fyi) the other day.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882155344&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082610&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082610-_-EMC-082610-Index-_-AudioVideoAccessories-_-82155344-L011B

HDMI, Surge protector, and cleaner for $35 shipped after using the discount code.  but as others said you definitely can get HDMI cables cheaper.

None of this is going to help him if he doesn't have an HDMI output on his machine.

no, he can get one of these

but I am agree with the reviewer in the video, I am not certain if this will give you the quality your are looking for.  This was one of the reasons I held off on getting an xbox until I got one.  I heard that the on board HDMI was coming - so after researching this product, I held out for the newer Xbox
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:47 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #441 on: August 27, 2010, 02:35 PM »
no, he can get one of these

but I am agree with the reviewer in the video, I am not certain if this will give you the quality your are looking for.  This was one of the reasons I held off on getting an xbox until I got one.  I heard that the on board HDMI was coming - so after researching this product, I held out for the newer Xbox

Well, you got me there.  Looks like a horrible product, though, that offers little-to-no benefits over just going with the component cables in the first place:

In terms of picture quality, however, we didn't see a discernable difference between the HDMI adapter and using the original included component cables: games, DVDs, and Xbox Live Marketplace videos all looked pretty much the same (which is to say quite good). In other words, don't buy the adapter--or an HDMI-equipped Xbox 360--if your only ambition is to have a better-looking gaming experience. Instead, the Mad Catz adapter is all about reducing clutter; you're getting just one or two cables, instead of the octopus of wires that is the Xbox 360 component adapter.

Priced at $90, the HDMI Conversion Kit for Xbox 360 may seem a bit expensive, but this certainly beats shelling out $350 for a new Xbox 360 with an HDMI port. To repeat: skip this unit if you're looking for "digitally enhanced" picture quality--on most TVs, you won't see a noticeable difference versus component.

And it's not a Microsoft product, either.  But yeah, you got me.  Technically.

This whole thing's kinda strange.  Every 360 they've made in the last three years has had HDMI so if he bought a new one he should be able to do it.  The only way this should even be an issue is if he bought or was given a used old model.  It's difficult to know what he's got because he hasn't exactly been specific with the details so far.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45 PM »
yeah after further review I can't find anything on that product anymore - kinda odd too since, again after further review, it was a Mad Catz product.  I kinda figured that ebay would be littered with them - but I guess not.  The product sold initially for $80 iirc - and not many would buy it.

Agreeing with you Matt after further investigation - I don't think there is any way this could benefit for quality - probably only cleanliness and organization - eliminating a bunch of cables for one.

and you are right on the 3 years ago part (mid 2007) - he should have HDMI if he bought it brand new.

final thought - skip over what I said about that crap product.  My foggy memory was making think that it was something better than what it truely was...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:54 PM by shmashwitdaclub »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #443 on: August 27, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I have the components for mine, and my picture's incredible/fine. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 27, 2010, 04:13 PM »
New XBox 360 S without the 250GB HDD are $199.

Did you see the article that states Microsoft sold 444,000 XBox 360 consoles in the US in July - a 54 percent increase over the same quarter last year.?

Xbox 360 Sales Surge, but Is It an Anomaly?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #445 on: August 27, 2010, 04:29 PM »
The article doesn't mention it, but along with the redesigned hardware, there was also a $50 price drop on the old models, which no doubt played a factor in sales as well.  Target was running a really nice deal for several weeks in July--Arcades for $130 and a $30 gift card.  Who knows how many 360s were sold in that sale alone.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2010, 05:14 PM »
We have a sale up here on the new 4GB for $199 with a $50 gift card.  That's scary tempting.  Sale just announced yesterday. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 27, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Posting my gamercard:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:43 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 28, 2010, 12:54 AM »

thanks for the info!
I appreciate it.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10 PM »
After selling off $660 worth of Star Wars stuff in the last week I decided to go ahead and preorder the new 360S Halo Reach Special edition today. I traded in a few games to get an extra $72 to put towards it. Hopefully I'll be able to sell the copy of the game that comes with it, seeing as how I decided to preorder the Legendary Edition of the game as well...

Has anyone used the Hard Drive transfer kit? I was wanting to transfer all of my stuff from my old Xbox to the current one but I'm not quite sure what the best way to do so would be. The guy at Gamestop was saying that you can buy the kit, use it, then return it. For some reason I didn't trust he knew exactly what he was talking about though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:17 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."