Author Topic: Review-A-Thon: VOTC - A New Hope  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Review-A-Thon: VOTC - A New Hope
« on: November 23, 2005, 01:47 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving from JediDefender.com, and for the holiday (and thanks in much part to Jared and Jeff for the extensive work they do to help me complete the reviews), we here are happy to dish out another of our Review-A-Thon specials! :)

I'm taking you, the reader, on a trip around the Vintage Original Trilogy Collection's A New Hope Wave of figures.

All 4 figures in the wave represent a real broad range of quality.  From really poor overall efforts to some of Hasbro's best work in the modern line, the VOTC kicked off with mixed messages from the Big H overall.  Check out the links for each figure and feel free to chime in here with thoughts/opinions you may have. 

The VOTC line overall was a success, and I'd say it's got far more hits than misses.  the ANH wave was the biggest let down overall though unfortunately, so we'll still be waiting for that ultimate Luke or Ben for a while it seems...  Leia and Han may be pretty well covered at this point, and I'd like to see Hasbro re-use those sculpts in the future as either straight re-releases or even little tweaks to the sculpt to add a costume change here or an accessory there. 

Enjoy the reviews, and enjoy the holiday! :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Han Solo

Princess Leia Organa

Luke Skywalker
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Review-A-Thon: VOTC - A New Hope
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 02:00 PM »
Awsome reviews, very detailed and I think each one was fair and accurate. Nicely done and I have to agree that Han and Leia are close to perfect and that Luke and Ben could still use some work.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:35 AM »
Thanks Anton...

Yeah, Ben's probably the lesser of the two evils, but I'd still take an all-new Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi in the line at some point.  Softgoods, more articulation too...  Just that perfect figure for "Old Ben".  I think that if they re-release the spirit OTC Ben in a living form, that's fine for the plastic fans but I'll still want that version of him that has a more detailed/accurate softgoods skirt, full leg articulation, a hilt for his belt, and maybe a better cloak...  They just have to deliver something MORE than the VOTC figure because for $10 we shoudl have gotten perfection.

On Luke I just don't know where they were going...  I mean, why not sculpt the torso?  Why the shirt softgoods ya know?  He's perfect in articulation, they just need to drop the unnecessary cloth shirt and sculpt it.  Hell I'd do without the ball/socket torso gladly if it meant he sported the plastic shirt.  He'd be on par with Han if that was the case, but sadly he's probably my least favorite of the first VOTC figures.

Fortunately I feel that the VOTC line was all uphill from the ANH wave, aside from a protocol speedbump. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Will we see a view-a-thon for the other waves?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Heh, if I can get free time...  Things are hectic, but I was hoping to have had one done by now actually however I've got a bit of work yet, plus "new" things.   ::)  It's always something man! :)