Author Topic: Crackdown on Japanese Star Wars Licensees Coming  (Read 3147 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Crackdown on Japanese Star Wars Licensees Coming
« on: September 13, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I guess get these if you can. 

Potential Bad news: Sounds like there's a crack-down on Japanese toy makers to sell outside of Japan (according to a blog).  Probably means the end of Kubricks, too.

Originally Posted by Bruce's Scale Modeling Domain

HEADS UP FOLKS!! I have received some feedback regarding the restrictions imposed on Bandai from selling their Star Wars kits outside Japan. Apparently the directive and pressure is from Disney themselves, and not from Revell or any other party as indicated from other forums and posts. In fact, Disney may be beginning to apply pressure on other Japanese Manufacturers involved with Star Wars merchandises to restrict their sales to only within the country, and may include other items such as PVC figures, statues, toys, etc etc. Hence depending on the company's agreement with Disney, we can expect more stuff to get pulled out of the overseas market later. I can't reveal my source due to legal reasons but I can tell you they are dependable - and very worried about their sales and profit margins. In the event this rule is applied nationwide (since I still see a few shops selling them) the only option is to get Kit Hunters from Japan to get them for you. Look for my notes section to see who these people are. If you are residing in Japan and not affiliated with any shops there but are willing to help, please let me know and I'll include your contacts there.

UPDATE: Apparently I just found out the original contract between some of these manufacturers and Disney did state that the merchandise were indeed for sales within Japan only. Somehow these got through to online shops that didn't know about this rule. So now we have a lot of very unhappy vendors there as well as very unhappy fans outside Japan.

UPDATE II : I have been asked to list down all the effected merchandises. Unfortunately I don't have a list given to me. The only ones I know for sure were the Bandai kits since I am more into model kits. But if you were to look at Hobby Search's Japanese site and compare it to the English site, you can already see some of the things not model kits related there (at the Japanese site) missing from the English site. As for other brands like SH- Figuarts, Kotobukiya, etc etc, I have no idea if they too will be effected. I was only told Disney is applying some pressure to have these Japanese Manufacturers comply with their agreement

Full link of blog here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108625

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Crackdown on Japanese Star Wars Licensees Coming
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:13 PM »
This is true.  I picked up 3 Bandai kits for sale prices since they're not allowed to sell them after 9/20.

bull**** on an epic level and yup, Disney lead by all accounts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Potential Bad news: Sounds like there's a crack-down on Japanese toy makers to sell outside of Japan (according to a blog).  Probably means the end of Kubricks, too.

Here's the thing - this is not the first time this has happened.  Every so often, there's a crackdown to remind the Japan sellers of the rules.  Used to happen under LFL rule too.  Japan sellers have been pushing the bounds for a while and they all know it.  I am surprised it didn't happen earlier.  Revell and Hasbro pay good money for their licenses, I'm sure they are not happy that US customers can order direct from Japan shops to get some of these things that are direct competition. 

Yeah, I guess it's bull**** on some level, but at the same time it's a business.  If some Japanese company is paying for a Japan-only license or a "non-USA" license, why would Disney let them get away with selling as though it were a global license? 

This 'crackdown' does not mean you won't be able to buy these things in the USA.  It just means you'll have to spend a little more to get them.  Instead of buying from HLJ to get your model kits, you'll have to buy on ebay or buy from a secondary seller (someone who buys from HLJ and then re-sells).  BBTS sells a lot of things that are "not for sale in the USA".  There are ways around it if you really want something.

And it doesn't mean the end of Kubricks (you could argue that happened a long time ago :P).  Those have always been "not available in the USA".  But like I said, there are always ways around that.  BBTS has been doing that for years and years. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:09 PM »
So sites like HLJ and BBTS can no longer sell this stuff to us? That's at least what I'm taking away from it based on the Bandai sale. Wonder what that means for some of the stuff I have preordered.

I had to buy the last few SH Figuarts figures from Amazon Japan anyway, and it's actually really simple. Expensive, but simple. Amazon stuff is usually discounted anyway, like here in the States.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:29 PM »
The only confirmed info that I've seen so far is that HLJ (and other Japan-based shops) will no longer be able to offer Bandai Star Wars model kits on their international website (items are now unavailable to ship to US customers).

It doesn't sounds like anything else is affected (yet).  Just the model kits for now...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:28 AM »
This 'crackdown' does not mean you won't be able to buy these things in the USA.  It just means you'll have to spend a little more to get them.  Instead of buying from HLJ to get your model kits, you'll have to buy on ebay or buy from a secondary seller... BBTS sells a lot of things that are "not for sale in the USA".  There are ways around it if you really want something...BBTS has been doing that for years and years. ;)

So sites like HLJ and BBTS can no longer sell this stuff to us?

These posts were in the wrong order.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today