Author Topic: Beginning a Darth Vader focus  (Read 22162 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Beginning a Darth Vader focus
« on: November 25, 2005, 08:51 PM »
For months I've been thinking of getting into the world of vintage collecting, and that time is just about here.  It just feels like its time for a change of focus.  I figured if I'm not incredibly excited about what's to come for the modern line in 2006, why spend my money on it.  Of course, there will be a few things I'll have to grab, but my days as a modern completist are dead.

As I've been surfing eBay and lurking in the various vintage sale ads, I've noticed a different feeling to vintage purchases.  There isn't a time crunch involved, so it's actually quite a bit more relaxing.  Trying to keep up with the many modern releases the last few months has been quite intense.  But with vintage, there's really nothing to keep up with - I can surf at my leisure to see what's out there.

Like I said, I certainly won't be able to completely walk away from the modern line.  But I was wondering if there are any others out there thinking of making a change in focus.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 11:33 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage vs Modern
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 11:23 PM »
Looks like you're about 2.5 years behind me ;)  Good luck, have fun.  You've chosen yet another dark path.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 12:16 AM »
I've had delusions of dropping all of my modern stuff and going strictly vintage for years, but I know that I'll hate it after a while. I've got an almost complete loose collection, just missing a few of the HTF POTF85 stuff, just like most everyone else. And I don't think I can justify paying $100+ for some of the figures I need (Yakface, Luke Stormie, etc.) - I don't know if I can let myself pay that much for them, especially since the ones that I have gotten so far have all been pretty good deals.

But I took the plunge back around '94 when the POTF2 line was just about ready to come out, someone posted a huge collection on ebay that I won for just under $100 and it had just about everything in it - loose Death Star, Star Destroyer, TIE, X-Wing, Wampa/Jabba/Tauntaun, Y-Wing, Cantina, almost all of the SW/ESB/ROTJ figures... I got a sweet deal if I say so myself. That is the way to start your collection - look for a large lot of "everyday" figures - Luke/Han/Chewie/Vader/etc. They can usually be found pretty cheap.

Then again, right now might not be the best time to jump into Vintage collecting. The hype is still pretty high from Episode 3. I just took a quick look on ebay completed auctions to find one or two examples of what I was talking about (finding large lots pretty cheap) and I don't actually see many. I would say if you can hold out, wait another year or so and there will be plenty of people dumping collections of regular figures cheap.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 12:19 AM »
Then again, I just found these:

31 figures in Vader case - $31

31 loose figures - $32.99

Nothing spectacular in any of those auctions, and the figures are not complete or in the greatest condition, but a good start at a good price none the less.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Looks like you're about 2.5 years behind me ;)  Good luck, have fun.  You've chosen yet another dark path.

That thread is a great reference for starting out - I've read it a couple times.   I still need to get my hands on Sansweet's Action Figure Archive, but I do have his From Character to Collectible book (a Christmas present a couple years ago from my parents - a very pleasant surprise).

That is the way to start your collection - look for a large lot of "everyday" figures - Luke/Han/Chewie/Vader/etc. They can usually be found pretty cheap.

That's a great idea Dave.  It's amazing what gems can be found hidden in those lots too.

The cool thing is that I've actually still got all of my vintage SW toys from my childhood.  Of course, they're quite beat up because I played with them.  A lot.

Now that I think about it, I doubt I could ever replace those toys with ones in better shape.  My old ones have way too much sentimental value.  However, I'd still like to fill in the holes in my collection of loose figures I never did get, since I've only got 64 of them, plus the Rebo band.  Of course, most of them don't have weapons anymore, so it'll take some work to replace those.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Over the past year or so I've been selling off bits and pieces of my modern collection for the same purpose.  I was trying to get each basic figure MOC, but I got tired of doing that, so I sold off the boring Saga collection first.  That's the only full set I've sold, but I've also debated dumping my POTJ and POTF figures as well.  Now, I collect mainly vintage and don't get much of anything modern except for clones.

Go for the vintage.  It's a bit more expensive, but like you pointed out, there is no time crunch.  Also, part of the fun is getting a good deal on something.  If you loose out or decide not to pick up a figure, there is always another one that can be picked up later.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 07:36 PM »
I have a near complete loose collection (only Luke Stormtrooper missing and none of the fancy variations,) but have been thinking about starting a carded collection after I get my Luke. However, that would be in addition to continuing my modern collection.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Yeah, after collecting modern for 10 years, I certainly can't stop totally.  I'll have to be more selective in my choices.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 10:18 PM »
Come to the light side and leave the dark side behind, you'll be glad you did.  ;)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 10:46 PM »
I figure it's easier to start small by focusing on one character than try and get all of the figures on card.  So here's what I'm going to look for - I want a vintage Canadian carded Darth Vader focus.    I'm not in a rush, so this should be fun.

According to the Canadian Star Wars Gallery, Vader was available on the following Canadian cards:

CSW12A
CSW12B
CSW12C
CSW12D
CSW20B

CESB21A
CESB32B
CESB41B
CESB41C

CROTJ77A

Unfortunately, visiting collector's shops isn't much of an option for me since I live in a town of 5000.  However, I do make it to larger centers like Saskatoon, Regina and Calgary occasionally, so I may get to do that once in a while.

However, the majority of my time will be spent searching eBay.

Let the fun begin!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 10:59 PM »
Your grail Jesse.  ;)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 11:32 PM »
Oh mama!  Me likey.   :D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 11:37 PM »
I thought you would, I would love to own 1 GDE. I love foreign carded figures, I don't care what the figure is just 1 from each countrie.  8)

Wish you the best of luck in this focus Jesse, going to be tough but well worth it in the end.  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 12:20 AM »
A couple of observations from being in the chase recently. 

If you want high quality figures with correct weapons, pay for them.  Bargains can still be had, but lots can either be great (good figures, legit weapons) or they can be awful (condition sucks, repros).  I've gone through three or four versions of several figures (Luke X-wing, Yoda, Death Star Droid).

Read descriptions carefully.  I don't ::)

Don't be in a hurry.  I finished out my loose collection in a little over a year or so.  Take longer, be more selective.  There are serious bargains to be had. 

Ask questions here and where you are comfortable doing so (snowtroopers has a good body of folks looking to chat about it).  Go watch RS and participate if you like. 

Contemplate saving your money for a really big, nice condition lot: I've seen some complete lots for 60+ figures, all with weapons go for the $300-400 range, a bargain relative to getting them individually.  Refer back to my original lot comment though for condition. 

Email the seller and ask specific questions.  If it feels wrong, walk away.

Stay away from **** I'm bidding on. >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 12:34 AM »
If condition is of major importance to you, then as Brent said definitely be willing to pay more. My recent acquisition of a POTF Imperial Gunner came at a higher price than I have been willing to spend in the past, but thats because the limbs on this guy were very tight, there were no paint blemishes or plastic wear, and the coin was vibrant. I paid a bit more, but I got a high quality specimen, if that's what you want be patient and you will find one, just not necessarily at an average price.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot