Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361689 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Bearing in mind the Avenger is a BEAST of a plane...  3-seater, Torp...  It's one of 21st's biggest projects, and really is only dwarfed by the jets which chime in at $80-ish retail...

Hell the jets dwarf even Star Wars ships like an X-Wing or B-Wing...  :)  Sweeeet.

Planes are something I've pretty much bailed on though due to space...  If anyone's interested I have several I'd sell including the Spitfire and the checkerboard P-47 (which I love but can't justify the space it takes up).  I have the BBI Cobra I'm contemplating selling too which is their best piece overall besides maybe the Blackhawk.  I dunno...  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2006, 10:09 PM »
I picked up, saw several new 21st century plane products last night. I picked up the new 'dogfight' 1:32 2 pack with a P47 and a FW 190 in exclusive paint schemes-at 24$ what a steal considering Wm sells 1/32 scale at 15-16$ each usually :o. I also saw the new 1:48th scale planes..the p51 and me 109. Lastly I spotted the TBF1 avenger that I knew DG was salivatating for so I called him. I didn't even see the
Dogfight 2 pack(it was apparently stuffed in a return cart) but DG did spot it and called me after he bought it for me!I met him at another store where I bought it off him. What a strange turn of events last night. As a bonus, the store that had all the new 21st century stuff also had the 5 newest titanium ships so I stashed/bought some.

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 21, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Bearing in mind the Avenger is a BEAST of a plane...  3-seater, Torp...  It's one of 21st's biggest projects

Yeah it was hard to find space for the Beast, luckily 21st included it's folding wing mechanism. That helped.

SWM Santa Clarita had 3  1:18 scale F4U Corsairs, Bunker Hill Squadron, yesterday.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2006, 04:17 AM »
Definitely a good feature with the folding wings.  I believe the Corsair had that as well (but I don't own it to know exactly).

If you plane nuts want planes, I have planes for sale for my cost + shipping...  Winter Stuka, Spitfire, maybe my P-38 (I love it though, it's a tough one to part with) and my P-47 as well...  Jon, if you want to trade stuff for them too that's always an option, I just have a pile of planes and ZERO space anymore...  :(  I gotta cut back, especially since armor is my focus with the figures and I really need freed up space after seeing armor and land stuff is due out this year.

By all means hit me up if you guys want more 1:18 planes, they're all yours.  I also have a damaged (but salvageable) original scheme Stuka I got clearanced at TRU, and I have a nearly complete BBI Apache or Cobra, I forget which model chopper it is...  It's fantastic.  I got it on sale too btw so it's cheaper than what they cost full retail.

Let me know guys, please.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Definitely a good feature with the folding wings.  I believe the Corsair had that as well

I just have a pile of planes and ZERO space anymore.

I have a nearly complete BBI Apache or Cobra, I forget which model chopper it is...  It's fantastic.

Yep the wings fold, I have the two parked side by side.

Have you considered hanging them from the ceiling? I did this at my last house and saved lots of shelf space.

The Apache has tires and the Cobra has skids. You probably have an Apache, I don't recall BBI making a Cobra. On the other hand if they did it would be awesome, and I'd be very interested in it.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Jesse-

I'm(for my son and myself) only interested in the 1:32, 1:144 scale right now.
Thanks for the nice offer though, those sound like some nice planes(would hope 21st would make a 1:32 lightning or P61 one day ;))

On another note I sent a formal request to 21st research and development dept for the Japanese Shinden fighter and German Dornier Arrow (DO335) to be produced in 1:32 scale. I'm not, however, highly optimistic about these being done since while the Shinden saw some war action, these planes never really went into full production or saw much if any war action(and 21st isn't known for doing concept/unpopular/rare aircraft). I thought I'd ask them for S and G's though and that way I know I at least did my part to try and get it made.

The DS

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2006, 12:45 AM »

Yep the wings fold, I have the two parked side by side.

Have you considered hanging them from the ceiling? I did this at my last house and saved lots of shelf space.

The Apache has tires and the Cobra has skids. You probably have an Apache, I don't recall BBI making a Cobra. On the other hand if they did it would be awesome, and I'd be very interested in it.

With customizing scale Star Wars pieces (anything from artillery to armor to speeders to spacecraft), space (hah) is a real issue even from the ceiling unfortunately.  My planes just take up too much of it and I can't justify it at this point since I honestly don't get much enjoyment out of the planes besides appreciation for the detail and size...  They're fantasitc but aviation isn't a hobby of mine nor a real focus of my history hobbies...

Now armor...  Land warfare...  That's a WHOLE other story. ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2006, 03:53 AM »
Another update for another Hanomag variant, this one with a PAK on its back...  Anti-tank halftrack?  Yup, smells of desperation. ;)

It's a good variant though as they were fairly common towards the war's last couple years I think, in a push to get as much anti-armor stuff out there on the field as possible...  A Hanomag against a Sherman is a dead Hanomag though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #308 on: September 6, 2006, 11:52 PM »
New figure pictures are due soon from 21st...  I can't freakin' wait!

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 7, 2006, 01:24 PM »
I just picked up a 1:18 scale Bunker Hill Corsair, and Desert Stuka for 15 bucks each at the W Lancaster WM, awesome deal.

I'm not into vehicles as much as I'm into aircraft but I've been picking up some on clearance for about 10 bucks or so. In the past week I've picked up a hard top Humvee, M-115 Mutt, Navy Seal Jeep, a Hanomag and a half-track.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #310 on: September 9, 2006, 02:28 AM »
It's "XD"-Day baby!  Oh yeah...  Me = happy as a clam right now...  I've waited for S1 resculpts for some years, and 21st doesn't disappoint in the slightest by delivering super articulation, super accessories, and super everything...

Hasbro take notes, you just got owned by 21st. :)

29th ID Rifleman

2nd Rangers Scout (think Saving Private Ryan)

My wallet just **** itself.

And that's just TWO of 18 new figures next year, 2 of which are DAK (for the first time in the line).  Sweet stuff here.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #311 on: September 9, 2006, 05:26 AM »

Damn. Those really look fantastic. Look at the size of that knife with the 2nd Ranger, it is tiny. 19 different accesories and SA all for under $5. There is no reason that a small company like 21st Century should be able to put a product like this out and Hasbro, the big huge corporation, can only muster up a few repaints with maybe 1 or 2 accessories each.

I think 21sy century and Bbi are going to be getting more and more of my money that would have been going to Hasbro in the next few years...
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2006, 01:33 AM »
More pics due soon I guess, and there is definitely some German dishes on the menu. :)

No Russians or Brits...  yet.  Sounds bleak for them, but I'm keeping SOME hope alive for it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #313 on: September 14, 2006, 03:14 AM »

21st Century has the German pictures up. Some good stuff for certain. Looks like there is a new hat in there with the Parade trooper. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:15 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #314 on: September 14, 2006, 03:15 AM »
Did someone say Germans?

First up is a D-Day German in a Camo smock, which is friggin' great looking, and we NEED a German in this common garb for our hedgerow ass whipping scenes.

And next, a German regular infantry dude...  Not sure what the deal is with "Parade Dress" and all that, as this looks like just a regular old infantryman to me, but I suppose that's maybe what they called their uniforms?  I'm not sure...  Nobody I know seems to be sure on that either.  Weird.

I like that, with these two figures, you get extra headgear with both...  A field cap and helmet with the latter figure and a netted and unnetted helmet with the camo infantry.  That's cool really and as an army builder THAT is great stuff.  Head variants would be nice but the helmets/hats are a start and means there will be diversity with the headgear on even.

I'd love to see 21st dish out some beefy accessory sets with like an MG-42 w/ammo cans and ammo belts maybe...    Some landmines would be great, a Bazooka, a Panzerschrek and Panzerfaust, some packs and other gear, medic gear, sniper rifles for both sides, some packs with straps on them (like Thompson clip bags, Officer sachels, etc.)...  You put all this stuff in a set and the set alone would warrant buying MORE of the figures actually.  Arm up the figures with the new gear and expand...

Then again I'd re-buy figures packaged with this gear and a new head too, and get even better army building galore going. :)

Good for 21st though.  The articulation on these is insane...

And again I say to Hasbro, if the costs incurred in articulation are primarily just the increase in parts-per-figure equalling an increase in labor costs (and it's not so much the cost of the STYLE of articulation, or the # of parts needed to be tooled), then why can 21st give us a figure comprised of this many parts (and arguably more labor intensive figures) with such ease?

And look at BBI...  They're usually even MORE complex on some level it seems.  Or at least equal...

Hasbro can do better articulating the SW line, and I just can't see the excuses at this point.  They're outclassed by these much smaller companies, and even beaten at the cash register since these come in at a whole $2 less per figure ($4.99 is standard for BBI and 21st Cent. Toys figures).  Yeesh!