Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 361695 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Official 21st Century Toys Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 5, 2006, 01:19 PM »
Ok, it looks like they are throwing Gebirgsjaeger (Mountain troops) emblems on the shoulders of these Italian Submarine Leather jackets...

I like what they are doing to some extent (it looks like the should joint is hidden in the black jacket or this is the first ever hybrid of Ball joint and hinge being interchangable.

But PLEASE 21st find some historical context for these things.  Jackboots in 1944 were rare enough, but now we have a Jackboot wearing mountain trooper with Italian U-boat leathers in NORMANDY...

I have a prediction for today's figure.....Pre-war Weimar republic helmet (with Dot Pattern Helmet cover), Oak Pattern Jump Smock(step in Type I), Riding Pants, Sports shoes and a "Captured" Thompson.....  But then again that may be Friday's figure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #331 on: October 5, 2006, 04:33 PM »
You're just angry because you know all this stuff. ;)

I'm wondering where the coats came from...  Do the coats allow the figure to be placed in another theater?  Italy perhaps?

Then sans coat he's a decent enough ETO D-Day fellow...  well short of the boots anyway?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 5, 2006, 05:15 PM »
There's really nothing more to say about these guys except:

Hasbro, take note.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 5, 2006, 07:13 PM »
You're just angry because you know all this stuff. ;)

It is more a case of the same books, photos and archives are available to them as well.

It is the same frustration I have with other lines...I get all excited about what is coming...and then nit pick it...I need help I freely admit it.

Without the coat he makes a good army builder.  (even if only in Hollywood, did the Germans wear Jackboots till the end).

I can wait to donate that lleather coat to some Star Wars customs....or better yet...does that thing just Scream British Jerkin if you don't use the sleeves?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 5, 2006, 09:35 PM »

Too bad the Germans don't come with this many accessories. This is the first be-spectacled soldier we've gotten thus far in any line, isn't it?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #335 on: October 6, 2006, 01:23 AM »
Can't say I'm as pleased with this figure...

99% of my anger goes towards the head sculpt.  I HATE the jeep cap guys.  Without a removable hat the head looks like **** because, well, you need a brain bucket on for combat.  The glasses are cool and this is a first for this line but I'm not sure I dig them too much because they're very distinct.

If he had a radio pack or something, and if he had a removable hat w/helmet, I'd be a lot more into this figure than he is.  The new Carbine with the stock out is nice though, and the radio is cool.  And the coat, of course is cool...  He'll need a new head w/helmet is all for me to really dig him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #336 on: October 7, 2006, 02:19 AM »
Another Yank enters the fray...

Updating the S1 Bazooka dude is a cool idea.  I wish he also came witha  rifle though as a guy just running around with a bazooka seems odd to me.  Still, this is a great figure and I've got M1's around to hand off to him too so that's alright.  He'll be armed to the teeth when I get him.  Looks like one of the better "generic" army builders I think.  Great figure...

And I'm giddy for the D-Day gear, I mean seriously.  That's some sweet stuff.  The vest is awesome.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 7, 2006, 02:56 AM »
I went to Wal*Mart tonight and GOOD LORD these figures hit the store like woah! I'm going to start collecting these, I think.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 7, 2006, 08:55 AM »
Ranger vest for a guy with a 29th Infantry Patch (not Rangers)....

Definately needs a rifle or carbine of some sort to make army building an option for him.  He is the only soldier with a 41 Jacket in the new line (aka Non-Airborne) so far.

I really like the Holster options..(with pistol and without).  See I CAN say something positive....however I am surprised the didn't give him "captured" jackboots...

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 7, 2006, 03:11 PM »
This line is just great!  It is great to have real competition in the action figure market.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #340 on: October 7, 2006, 09:55 PM »

Another day, another GI...  A Lt., and unfortunately a Lt. without a real weapon...  Sure he has a .45 but my M1 stash is gonna be damn low again I outfit all these figures with gear that they didn't get in the first place.

Take the walkie talkie out and give me a rifle for this schmuck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 7, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Maybe he traded his Rifle to a guy in the 2nd Ranger Btl. for the vest....

This one also seems to have the S1 type head.  Some of the others almost looked ball jointed.

I hope the hands are as easy to switch on these as the other series have been.  It is always nice to have the xtra hands from the "Stiff" arms.

I like the Binocs case too.

He may be the first with the Hybrid rank of "Buck Lt."  The sleeve stripes are a bit of a head scratcher...

I think Officers over-populate the 1:18 market.  Half the BBI stuff is officer ranked too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #342 on: October 8, 2006, 03:34 AM »
the XD boards mentioned paint aps are gonna change but what yous ee with gear is what you'll get.  I'm wagering the stripes are just "placeholder arms" at the moment.  Final will have the Lt. bars.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 8, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Here's the last figure of the week:

He's looking a little light on accesories, but I do like the addition of the BAR. Not my favorite of the figs this week though.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #344 on: October 9, 2006, 12:37 AM »
You need your support gunner so I'm cool with it, I just hope that's NOT the head we get.  That headsculpt was cool the first time but should've been retired at that point due to it being too unique.  I wish they'd sneakily try doing the main players from SPR...  I'd love the heads for casting (Tom Hanks Rebel General is a cool idea), and if they had given us some of the accessories to match up (Sniper Rifle especially) it would've had more of a "wow!" factor to the whole thing.

Anyway, ok figure and they need a BAR guy so I'm ok with that.

No DAK?  Wonder when we see them now. :)  I thought for sure this week....

Could there then be more S1 resculpts we're not seeing?  MP-44 or 40 Germans would be nice, as would snipers/sharpshooters for BOTH sides slipped in as a plus for fans.