Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 362126 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)
« Reply #735 on: November 29, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Could've just made the plan-o-gram pic...  PTE is so weird and unpredictable.  I don't ever recall a Humvee being at regular retail other than green and tan.

I was real tempted to nab an open-bed humvee this year but couldn't pull teh trigger.  I just am not into modern enough to want all these vehicles.  As it stands I've himhawed on getting rid of my Abrams, LAV, 21st Humvee, and spec ops dune buggy.  All good stuff but all too big and just not my era I enjoy as much.  Love the figures though.

Forces of Valor has some repaints of their modern guys out now too which are really nice as well.  Worth picking up another set with repainted heads to expand the modern group I have.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 4, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I placed an order for two of these PTE sets from the JC Penny site:

I already have a couple of small sets (both Military Assault Units) that I purchased from Big Lots, but I couldn't resist getting some more set dressings for my GI Joe figures. I don't plan to keep everything, so if anyone here is interested in anything seen in the above pic feel free to shoot me a PM. I know for sure the watch towers, small vehicles, and some camp accessories will be up for sale, but I'll be sure to update with a definite list of what I am getting rid of once the sets are delivered.

Next up for my 1:18/PTE purchases are the bigger buildings. I'm leaning towards getting the Battlefield set from Big Lots, and tracking down the Command Post set on eBay. I would love to support BBTS, but there is no way I'm going to pay $60 plus shipping per set. Luckily I wasn't impressed by the tanks and planes, so that is saving me a bunch of money.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #737 on: December 4, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Greg,

Keep me in mind for the towers, tent, well, and if you're letting it go, the concrete bunker thingie too...  I'm interested in all 4 I think.

Also interested in table, chairs, and map board...  hell, hedgehogs too...  PM me whaqt you're wanting to keep and what you're wanting rid of.  I may have some extras of stuff you want too, here.  I have PTE crap out the whazzoo.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #738 on: December 4, 2011, 03:52 PM »
I bought this by the way. :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #739 on: December 12, 2011, 02:01 AM »
Guess what arrived Friday? :)

Since I've been working a lot lately, and not home half the time, the above hasn't really had the close exam I usually give a new chunk of armor, but it's at the house itching to plow over whatever hapless action figures are on my customs bench and can be used as obstacles.

I looked at the tank a bit, my god it's huge, hyper detailed, and the paintjob in the pics is worse than it appears in person.  I know a couple guys not even repainting theirs because they feel that's a sufficient deco.

It's a beast though...  Far larger than my Tiger I (obviously).  Side-by-side, they'll be a sight to behold.  I want to get the Sherman then...  To have stood against one of these would've taken balls the size of churchbells.  Hell, any tank would be intimidating, but when you're used to seeing certain ones, and then this thing breaks out of the forest into a cleaing in front of you, I can only fathom what it would've done to morale...  Yet like so many other German weapons it was an overengineered nightmare...  and yet, it's a tank that held revolutionary concepts used in armor today. 

My tank shelf grows.  I cannot wait (and not even sure what choice to make) for my next piece.  This is toy crack.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #740 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Jagdtigers on the way in 1/16 RC?  Soon to be it seems.   :'(

I can't afford to keep up!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:29 AM by Jesse James »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04 AM »
So after trying to track down one of those PTE Command Posts but failing due to cost and/or shipping prices (some were from outside the US) or just not being around, BBTS finally had them up for pre-order on this new endeavor they're undertaking.  So I preordered.

Then the other day doing a random search for something totally unrelated on eBay, I come across a Command Post set MIB and it's the larger one, with the helecoptor and a bunch of other crap.  So I toss a bid on it and sonuvabitch if I didn't win it for, with shipping, less than I'd pay from BBTS.  So, it's not here yet but I did get a ship notice.

If it comes through then I'm cancelling my BBTS pre-order but to support them in trying to get this stuff, I may shift my pre-order over to the SU27 or J-10.  Still, it's funy how that works out.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 20, 2011, 02:56 AM »
My Battle Command Post came Monday but I was too busy to open it.  Have to clear off the table where I've been staging Christmas presents so I can get it open, the set has a bunch of stuff with it and I'm gonna need some room to spread it out.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #743 on: December 20, 2011, 01:52 PM »
PTE is kind of like the post-Thanksgiving unbottoning...  You need more room to enjoy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #744 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Things have been slow on the 1:16 - 1:18 military front but I thought I'd post this pic of a guy's custom work to do a Michel Whittman Tank Commander figure.  I've never in my life seen anyone, outside of a professional toy designer, sculpt anything this realistically.

There are guys doing resin kits of tanks, support vehicles, armored cars, anti-tank guns, etc. as well.  Pricey but they're making the kit 100% from scratch.  Some are just variant kits to add to an existing 21st Century halftrack or Sherman or whatnot.

Like the sidecar I got for the Indiana Jones motorcycle for instance.

But that figure sculpt above...  Wow.  You have to be impressed.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #745 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32 AM »

A mystery Humvee turned up out West at Target...  GI Joe fans take note, it's a readily available Military Humvee, lots of extra gear.  Tad pricey IMO at about $30 but it's something to consider if you need to outfit your Joes with a new ride.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 10, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I've read the a backseat doors don't open. GI JOE's versions did (from 2004-2005). PTE's did for like almost half the price. 

Seriously, what's the point of a detailed real world vehicle that can't do the simple things?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #747 on: March 11, 2012, 05:49 PM »
*shrugs*

It depends how better detailed it is I think, to some people...  If it's much more realistic, that's a plus.  I personally think the PTE ones are great, and IMO the 21st Century and BBI ones are vastly superior and cost less (when they were out of course...  been a while since that).  I find the FOV one grossly overpriced.

If anyone does buy one and doesn't want the barriers though, hit me up. :)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I saw the humvee in person Friday morning and overall it was disappointing. The toy looks cool even with the non-working doors, and the gear is great (especially the barriers, which were larger than I expected based on the above pic) but the whole package is a ripoff at $30-$36 plus tax. Even worse is that the box looks two thirds empty, and a huge toy tank with barely any empty space in the box is right behind it on the shelf for the exact same price. I would love to get the humvee, but I won't consider it until it drops in price by about $10.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 3, 2012, 09:59 PM »
I picked up the Bravo Team Humvee for $11 and change at Target. A great deal considering it comes with a Driver and some really unique accessories. I have been a little behind on the military stuff as of late, but I did see that this site is offering some great 1:18 kits.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/battlegroundtoys
Fritzkrieg