Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 8: Rebel Troopers  (Read 40823 times)

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 8: Rebel Troopers
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2005, 10:36 PM »
A proper send-up for my Kel Dor Soldier. I need to make a companion soldier for him, though...

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2005, 10:39 PM »
You've got to teach me how to do that. :)

I'll be posting my rebels soon.

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2005, 10:45 PM »
You've got to teach me how to do that. :)

Step 1: Get Photoshop

Step 2: Practice, practice, practice. I certainly don't think I'm particularly talented, and the stuff I can do is the product of casual use for the better part of 7 years. :P

By "casual use" I mean just fiddling with it from time to time to make websites and fix bad pictures. :)

I can't wait to see more Rebels!

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2005, 01:39 AM »
Cool...I've got photoshop, but have no idea how to begin exploring its uses. I may end up taking Graphic Design next semester just to get a little more familiar with this program.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2005, 06:21 PM »
That Kel Dor is great, and really comes to life with your photoshop skills In Rem.  Simply amazing.  Looks very official.

I have very little photoshop skills either Jediknight.  Actually, I've never even used photoshop before.  I have a very cheesy program called Microsoft Picture It and also use Photoimpact some.

:P

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2005, 01:46 AM »
It doesn't get much simpler than this - just a simple parts swap, and the first time in months I didn't paint a custom.  This is my first entry for this month's challenge.  Kind of a mix between ANH and ROTJ Rebel Troops.

Rebel Officer

head - POTF2 Endor Trooper
torso - SAGA Captain Antilles
arms - SAGA Captiain Antilles
vest - POTF2 Han Solo
legs - SAGA Captain Antilles

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2005, 12:05 PM »
the officer looks cool,

i wouldn't have thought you could use a crappy fig like POTF2 endor rebel trooper for parts
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2005, 07:51 PM »
I need some darth maul evolutions legs for an endor rebel soldier I'm doing. I may not be finished by this month :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2005, 08:04 PM »
Well, since I know I'll be super-busy at the end of the month with Family stuff, I thought I'd just go ahead and post mine now...

First up, Hoth Rebel Officer:

clicky for a larger photo

PotF2 Deluxe Rebel Head + PotF2 Hoth Luke Body + Paint.  Simple, easy, effective.  Added a Maul binocular for AT-AT scouting.

Next up, Alien Hoth Rebel Commander:

Saga Rieekan Body + PotF2 Hoth Luke Head + Paint.  All those aliens have to be around someplace in the rebellion, so I whipped up this guy.  I kinda took an "Andorian" theme (cold planet alien) and figured they'd be perfect for Hoth troopers.  

And third, Endor Rebel Commander:

PotF2 Endor Rebel Body + Ep1 Preview Mace Head + Saga Endor Hat.  OK, I cheated on this one and didn't even add any paint yet, but I really like him the way he is.  Adds nicely to my Endor troopers and was super-easy to make.

So, there you go - proof that customizers of every level (and mine is obviously "low" level) are welcome in this challenge.  :P

I'll probably go back and add a bit more paint detail to them (improve rank badges, change the pockets on the alien from red to something else, etc).  I know I won't have time to get to it soon though, so I consider them "finished" for now... :)

Enjoy!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2005, 08:56 PM »
Nice to see your additions to this, and another front page mention.  That blue guy kinda freaks me out though!

Hoth Rebel Officer - I see you got some good use out of that old Luke sculpt.  I always liked that head on the Deluxe Trooper, so good choice there.

Hoth Rebel Commander - Something about this guy seems kind of non-Star Wars-ish to me.  I understand the idea of an alien being there, it's just kind of a strange look to me.  I know the Chiss are blue skinned though.  I would think maybe if you are going for an alien, something non human might look really cool, like a Duros perhaps?  I don't know, just throwing that out there.

Endor Rebel Commander - Good use of the body on this, that's one that still looks cool I think even by today's standards, especially when you mix it in a diorama with different troops.  Maybe paint some sort of beard onto him, I seem to remember several of the Endor rebels having facial hair.

Good update Jeff!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2005, 11:50 PM »
In Rem, that's sacrilege! :)  No seriously though I like the Plo Rebel guy...  I like that you mixed up the paint on the skin especially.  I do however think that changing up the costume a little would help it some is all...  Of course I collect XD so the Japanese uniform stands out to me, but I think like adding unique "pouches" would help, and also I'd have considered giving him new legs that have the "traditional" Star Wars leggings...  Like the Endor guys had.  Nein Numb comes with ones that I think would fit perfect.  You'd lose moveable feet but I think it'd be worth it for "variety".

CHEWIE, your rebel is very cool and adds diveristy to the ranks...  For my tastes though I'm more a "uniform" guy even for the Alliance, so I'm not sure I'd have deviated from their traditional costumes as seen in the movies unless he's part of a guerilla force, however htis is all just aesthetic differences in how we view the Alliance so that's neither here nor there even...  The parts look great together.  I'm wondering how the arms blend in with the torso though?  They look good to me but without hte jacket I'd think the jacketed arms would show a gap.  Cool that they don't seem to.

Jeff's stuff's sharp.  I see your point CHEWIE about there being something with the blue soldier's look that stands out in a way.  I don't know the Andorian species to comment...  Chiss have red eyes so it's not one of them but that'd have been cool actually if it had been.  The parts match up well though so that's cool by me, and for my tastes the paintjob's great it's really just the eyes that don't match.  I think solid black would look better even, just to spice it up, but yeah Chiss red would look cool too...  Again though I don't know what species the Andorians are to comment on that much Jeff.

I like the Hoth Commander too...  Simple means of diversifying forces isn't anything bad.  A field backpack would add something I think if he's out there in the trenches, but that's just a minor tweak by my eye...  Maybe the addition of a cloth piece stuck to the hat would be cool?  A scarf you could wrap around the mouth would look pretty neat I think Jeff.

And your Rebel Commando/Endor Trooper is a simple parts swap but a good one.  Short of changing the facial features some way there's not much you can do to change him up...  There's a LOT of detail on the costume that can use a GOOD paintjob.  For instance a round pouch hangs off his right hip that's not even painted, but looks great...  It has straps hanging off it too, looks neat.

For a suggestion to those of you making figs, I've found that a GREAT swap to do for Endor Troops is that the legs/lower torso of the POTF2 Commando fit the Saga Endor Commando's upper body perfectly.  You just cut a top piece off the POTF2 figure's lower torso, but the fit is great then.  It makes for a better "neutral" stance Saga figure.  Simple enough and with some repainting another good way to add diversity to your ranks again.  And it gets rid of those ugly action posed Saga figure's legs too.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Well, here's my first ever entry in a Custom Challenge.

Upon Order 66, the 217th Legion decided Wes Ratel was too much of a danger to the Empire. So his own squad, waiting for the right time, attempted to eliminate him. Being a former Jedi, and Force-sensitve, Wes foresaw the attack and killed them all. Going into exile, and taking one of the 305th ARCs that he flew into Coruscant upon reassignment, he fled to distant planets just like the Jedis Obi-Wan and Yoda. He joined the Alliance once he was convinced they had forgotten about him. He was sent to Endor to help soften up the Imperial defenses before the main Rebel attack and was to support the local Ewok tribes in the wilderness. He and his squad, dressed in dark colors-just like his former sqaud-used guerilla tactics on the Empire. The body is a Power Team Elite body, repainted, softgoods suspenders and web belt, and backpack from Chris Locklear. Here are the pics:

Well, I hope you like him. LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking, and have a nice weekend.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2005, 05:47 PM »
-In-Rem, I really dig the Keldor soldier, especialy since he's green!

- CHEWIE, that is a very simple custom but it looks good. I think i may have to steal that idea if you don't mind.

Here are a few of my Rebels. Not all soldiers, but they lend thier skills to the Rebel's.

Rebel Smugler: Yanea Tone

Rebel Hacker: Trike Vors

Rebel Infantry Squad Leader: Segra Fioktas

=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Those are a nice set of troops you got there, jedistyle. I like the Zabrak soldier the most.

Is it possible to extend the deadline of the challenge for a couple days after the end of the month? I plan on doing a Kel Dor and Nautolan (Kit Fisto's species, right?) Rebel soldiers, but I'm planning on getting started on them after Christmas.

Here's a couple more customs:
First up, we have Wes Ratel in some fatigues as a Yavin Guard. When Wes first enlisted in the Alliance, he was placed on the Rebel Base on Yavin 4 to guard the temple facility.

Second, here is Chris Locklear after he joined the Alliance and was, per request, assigned to Wes' squad. When his former RRT told him their plan to kill Wes on Order 66, he pretended to go along with it. He knew in his heart that he couldn't kill him. He was the only close to a friend, and they had many previous experiences with him on Kashyykk. He confided to Wes their plan and he concocted a counter-attack. He counted the number of squad members and one round in his rifle for each squad member for the attck, carefully inserting a blank round and remembering what round it was. When they attacked he made sure he shot them in the right order, and Locklear feigned being shot when the blank round was fired so the team wouldn't suspect anything.

Third, and last, is the final member in Wes' team on Endor. His name is Gutra Vanday, a former Neimoidian mercenary that had joined the Rebels after the Empire had foiled one of his smuggling operations. An excellent marksman, he carries a high-powered rifle. He is also the one who will carry the compact but effecient communications hardware that keeps in contact with the nearest Blockade Runner.

Here are some pics of them together:

Well, I hope you like them. I'm really starting to like the Yavin gear Wes and the Neimoidian. LMK what you think, all comments are appreciated.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 11:05 PM »
Great updates guys - I'll comment in more detail probably tomorrow or Friday.  I have to add at least 1-2 more guys for this and will hold off on the Rykrof series for it.  I like the idea of some off-screen characters a lot.