Author Topic: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 8: Rebel Troopers  (Read 40767 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Customizing Challenge - Month 8: Rebel Troopers
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2005, 11:34 AM »
Yeah, Hemish I've actually always liked the Typho design.  If that figure had more articulation, wow...

Ryan, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.   :)

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2005, 03:39 AM »
Well I got 4 done for this month. A new record for me. :) I was hoping to get a fifth done but I ran out of time. I'm leaving to go out of town for a week tomorrow and probably won't have internet access, I'll update the image thread with everyone's entries when I get back. :)

And now for my entries. :)

First up: Niemoidian Rebel X-Wing Pilot, Devir Floto

He is just a simple headswap really with a repainted head and helmet.

And next I've got a yet un-named Sakian Rebel General:

Really easy 15 minute custom, I had an extra Djas head and hands that I'd been wanting to use for while, as well as a Madine body, so I just threw this together. He maintains full articulation, all of the customs this update do actually. :)

And next an un-named Endor Rebel Communications Officer:

A rather boring figure. I just cobbled himtogether quickly cause I couldn't find a real head, and wanted to get this stupid Obi-Wan head out of my fodder bin, so he became a comm officer.

And last but not least, and my personal favorite of the group a Rebel Sandtrooper:

He's got full articulation still, including the neck. The Bbi head I used had a short neckpeg and no neck whatsoever, so I stuck a soft plastic ring thing in the neck socket  to act as a neck, and drilled a hole through it, the head now fits snugly in there and still moves. The goggles are POTF2 Gardinian goggles dremmeled off and attached to the hat, with little bits of cardboard type stuff as the straps. The Holster is a leftover Djas Puhr holster cut, modified, and flipped. The strap there is sculpey. I added an extra canteen to his backpack so he can stay hydrated. He is supposed to be wearing a thermal bodygolve under the clothing, like Imperial Sandtroopers wear, hence the face mask. I gave him the goggles and the face mask to protect him during sandstorms. And attempeted to give him some SW style desert camoflague.

Well let me know what you guys think! :)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 06:10 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2005, 09:47 AM »
I like the Sakian Rebel General. Very nicely done head. Does that guy have pointy ears? It looks like it to me. It kind of looks like Mr. Spock.

Niemoidian Rebel X-Wing Pilot is an another good use for the peg warming frogs. You need to add some logos to that helmet. You might check out ErikStromtrooper.com for the logo sticker page. He has all the rebel and empire insigna.

I'm very impressed with the rebel sandtrooper. The bbi head gives him a kind of gi joe look. I like how much movement you put into him and the color scheme is top notch.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2005, 12:32 PM »
Ryan,

All of your entries are *very* impressive. I'm most impressed, though, but that Rebel general. I know you say it was an easy custom, but it looks absolutely flawless, and nothing like D.P. (which is always a fear of mine when I do head swaps - that it will look like the same character in a different outfit)

The rebel sandtrooper is expertly painted. I love the camo pattern on the legs. How did you accomplish it? You need to get this guy posed in some sand in combat with a few Imperial Sandtroopers. And while the BBI head does look somewhat GI Joe without the helmet on, with the helmet he looks like he walked right off of Tatooine.

The Neimoidian pilot is very slick, but I would agree with M_P that at least one logo of some kind should be slapped on the helmet somewhere. It would just be the icing on the cake that made him pop.

The rebel comm officer looks a heck of a lot like Obi to me as opposed to just another disposable hero. Perhaps some paint to really change that haircolor? I do like the idea of using the head with the molded on headpiece for a radio man. It ties nicely with the backpack mod you did and the idea of these guys humping through a jungle somewhere.

Top notch work, man!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2005, 12:39 AM »
Here is my entry for this month's customizing challenge. He is a fan fic rebel named Captain Moroni. I don't have a background story for him yet except that he is considered a military genius. He is known for his ability to fortify rebel strongholds against even the heaviest Imperial attacks. He is very inventive in developing new technologies to aid in defending his bases and attacking the Empire. He is also very strong in the Force.

He is done with old school episode I parts. He is made from a quigon head, Ki-adi-mundi arms and naboo royal security body and legs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2005, 12:56 AM »
Ryan!  You have a fantastic update this month - Damn!

Niemoidian Rebel X-Wing Pilot, Devir Floto - First of all, great name.  I him a lot.  I'd go for a Dutch Vander body if you have one, but if not this still works.  Love seeing Nemoidians in other walks of life.

Sakian Rebel General - Good paint and the head looks good.  Like seeing these alien rebels. 

Endor Rebel Communications Officer - Damn that Obi Wan head!  But you seem to have found a good use for it... are you considering a helmet at all?

Rebel Sandtrooper - An ingenious idea!  Well selected parts, painting, etc.  I love this figure, it's one of your best I think.  You have inspired me on this.  Excellent figure.

And Phruby, I like your figure too!

Captain Moroni. - Very believable use of parts, and great use of the old EPI parts.  Excellent painting too.  He looks like a wise old captain.  Did you do some sculpting on his torso?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2005, 01:02 AM »
Thanks Chewie. The body is left over from my KOTOR Carth figure. I sculpted the vest on him for Carth. I was never happy with Carth so I took him apart and started over.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2005, 01:24 AM »
Here is my entry for this month's customizing challenge. He is a fan fic rebel named Captain Moroni. I don't have a background story for him yet except that he is considered a military genius. He is known for his ability to fortify rebel strongholds against even the heaviest Imperial attacks. He is very inventive in developing new technologies to aid in defending his bases and attacking the Empire. He is also very strong in the Force.

He is done with old school episode I parts. He is made from a quigon head, Ki-adi-mundi arms and naboo royal security body and legs.

Nice work - his back story sounds a lot like another Captain Moroni I know. Will he come with a scalp accessory? What about a title of liberty? I think he really needs a scalp accessory, and about 2000 stripling warriors.  ;)
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I though you would get it. I'm working on the scalp accessory right now.  ;)
The stripling warriors is the name of his flight squadron.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 09:31 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2005, 10:47 AM »
No no no no no!   It's STRIPPING LAWYERS!  Hehe nice backstory Phrubes

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Thanks dude! ;D

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2005, 04:21 PM »
I haven't done a monthly challenge in a while, so I might as well add these guys:

Leyatt Defense Force Guardsmen
Leyatt, a planet that openly supported the "Petition of 2000" before the emergence of the Empire, was regarded as one of the more "civilized" of the mid-rim planets.  As peaceful as the Alderaanians but as crafty as the Corellians, the Leyatt have a powerful modern army which they only use for defense.  Since the expert Leyatt soldiers and pilots refused to join the Empire's recruiting academies, Leyatt was blacklisted and eventually invaded.  The Leyatt people were scattered throughout the galaxy and were a main source of soldiers and pilots for the Rebellion.  After the New Republic was established, many of the surviving Leyatt moved back to their abandoned home planet to rebuildit.

Leyatt Guardsman (sergeant):

Leyatt Guardsmen (soldiers):

Leyatt Communications Officer:

Leyatt Weapons:

Leyatt Guardsmen:

The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2005, 04:36 PM »
As I said over at the Jawa, these are great figures. I like the red strips on the uniforms. I think the pit helmets are too ww2-ish. I think a Cobra Crimson Shadow Guard helmet would be a great touch for these.  But I know your going for the warhammer look in that case these are perfect.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 04:47 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2005, 04:57 PM »
Greg, pardon my French, but you kick ass.  Everyone has had some superb entries this month, but these are so unique and cool.  Very well done.  The body doesn't even look like an existing figure with the paint scheme on any of them.

How did you make the shoulder pads/chest plate?  I think on the chest plate it needs just a bit more texture as it almost looks photoshopped on.  Is it styrene?

Really awesome update and very inspiring.  They kind of have a German feel to them that makes me feel like they are a pretty tough bunch.  I am really impressed with the blood stripes on their uniforms.  Are you concerned at all about paint chipping on all the joints?

Some of your best work yet!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2005, 06:03 PM »
I just noticed the leader has a mechanical hand! What a great touch.