Author Topic: ROTS: one year later.....  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
ROTS: one year later.....
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:30 PM »
As it turns a year old, how do you feel about Revenge of the Sith?  Did it meet your expectations?  Do you feel jipped that Anakin turned to the dark side over a woman?  How does it hold up (to the OT)?   
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS: one year later.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:32 PM »
I'm celebrating the 4 Year anniversary of AOTC...didn't much care for ROTS. While it wasn't the worst of the PTs, I'd rather dwell on my favorite of the 3...AOTC.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 01:14 AM »
It was indeed a great movie, and my favorite of the prequels, but a film that I only want to see sparsely because of it's nature- I have to be in the right mood for it.

All I really dislike about the movie is that it failed to explain Grievous' origins, both in his involvement and in his character as a whole, in any way to an audience that largely knew squat about the cartoons and EU material meant to explain him; and the stuff that was cut or simply not done. The Qui Gon scene(s) should've been completed; going halfway just made it kinda weird.

Also, the more I think on it the more Tarkin needed at least one line. Not neccesarily even a closeup- just some offhand comment to a crewmember even. Something to make him noticeable besides a vague, distant walk-on that might never have been noticed. The actor cast to play the character would've been perfect at actually playing him, and it's a shame that he's basically a brief set dressing rather than a true- or substantial, perhaps I mean- cameo.

But what was done was done great. Anakin, Padme, and Obi Wan were all done as perfectly as I could hope for in this movie, in writing and portrayal. Palpatine as well, actually. No part of what this movie did was truly done wrong; there's just a few minor things it could've done and missed, but those don't wreck it or anything.

So, good stuff IMO. :) ROTS and ROTJ really are the pinnacles and epitomy of the Star Wars saga to me, as the way I see it, the whole of it basically comes down to them.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 02:23 AM »
Well, it's a mixed bag, really... I absolutely loved some parts of ROTS, and absolutely despised other parts. Depending on my mood, I may say one outweighs the other. Thankfully, I lean towards a more positive view with ROTS... unlike TPM and AOTC.

I really loved Obi-Wan and Yoda, this time around... Really solid characters. Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship was really, really enjoyable to watch, too. I finally felt like I understood the pain that Obi-Wan may have suffered in ANH, with having to face the shell of a man he once loved.

I liked Grevious' character, although I wished he had been fleshed out a bit more, in terms of his role in the war up until this point. I wasn't able to watch any of the Animated Clone Wars, and my reading in the comics was minimal...

I really loved how the combat at the close of the Clone Wars was illustrated, specifically the acts and execution of Order 66 - but still, I was completely bummed at how short of a fuse most of the battle scenes were. It seemed so wopsided to drop the ball on that kick-ass D-Day styled Kashyyyk invasion, whilst giving the introductory space battle a healthy 10-15 minutes (?).

For the first time, Padme and Anakin's relationship was bearable, but still in very small doses. These guys really, really needed to impress us as an audience that Anakin was so loyal to his love for this woman that he'd turn to the Dark Side for her... Did it work? Meh...

Anakin's turn from good to bad was pretty shoddy... I just didn't buy it in the least. Anakin bowed out like a little bitch, and pledged his loyalty and called Palpatine his 'Master' way, way too quickly for me to swallow. It just didn't flow well at all.

Meanwhile, Palpatine's transformation was god awful. Random-assed voice changes and a horrible Golumn impersonation. I really, really felt embarassed during these scenes, for some reason - as if I had been part of the production team or something. God awful.

Vader's first breath was amazing. His Frankenstein impersonation completely ruined it for me, though.

Great thread, I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks, and I'll drop in with more thoughts before long.

Offline Starbee

• Youngling
  • I'm a Bitch. I'm a mother. Sometimes I embarrass m
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:52 AM »
Well firstly, I loved the clone wars.  My husband and I were so excited to see them when they first aired.  My husband also had the same complaint about the battle scenes being too short.

Second.  Though Hayden is adorable to look at, anyone can tell that he is an amateur actor.  I sometimes found him painful to watch.  "It's worse, he's overly critical, he never listens, he doesn't understand.  It's not fair".  Is the funniest.  Everytime I watch that scene with Anakin and Padme in Attack of the clones, I just can't help but laugh my ass off. 

I totally agree that it seemed too soon for Anakin to bow down to the dark side so easily.  It was so quick that it was unbelieveable.  And Hayden being the amateur that he is, didn't make it any better.   I also agree that Palpatine's transformation was absolutely dreadful, and I was a little disappointed, actually.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:26 AM by Starbee »
Starbee Out!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Definitely the most consistently enjoyable of the prequels.

Funnily, I just rewatched it two nights ago...I skipped the parts where Anakin and Padme exchange dialogue (thank goodness those sequences don't consume half of the movie like in AOTC) and found it to be quite watchable.  It is a mixed bag for sure, but its also visually stunning, and the drama actually connects in a handful of scenes.  I do feel that Grievous is wasted, and he could have been much more menacing, but he's such a beautiful design that I just like to watch him in action.

Does anyone else feel that Yoda and Palpatine should be beyond the use of lightsabers?  I always imagined Yoda to be more of a direct conduit of the Force, and that a Saber would be of little use to him in combat.  The same goes for Palpatine...he can fry a person with lightning from his fingers...why would he need a weapon of any sort?  Despite this, I love the senate chamber sequence...very dramatic and effective.

It's a better movie than Phantom Menace, and its lightyears beyond Clones (which is dead last for me in the entire series), and despite its flaws, Episode III is probably my third favoite overall after Empire and Star Wars.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 07:30 PM »
I thought it was great... Easiley the best of the PT and most of all, it felt more Star Warsy than AOTC or TPM. As of now, it is my 3rd favorite movie in the Saga.
1. ROTJ
2. ANH
3. ROTS
4. ESB
5. TPM
6. AOTC

:P

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Hmm... Palpatine was a little over the top I suppose, but for the most part it all really flowed to me, and I got this feeling of "Just as I expected" from him. Palpatine is a character to be despised in my book, so his disgustingness seemed appropriate a lot of the time.

Hadyn Christiansen is indeed amateurish, but he just seemed so much better in this movie than the previous that I didn't mind it here. His emotions and his manner seemed very accurate to what I was expecting, and you could see the mental battle he was going through. The way he became Vader felt like Vader was sort of a seperate entity, a seperate personality that began forming in AOTC with the sand people, and then grew. It wasn't really like Anakin became Vader insomuch as Anakin tried to fight for what he loved and instead found himself destroyed by Vader because he felt it was the only way to achieve what he was trying to do. Only afterwards did he get it, though...

The frankenstein-ish moving seemed about right for someone who was in incredible emotional and physical pain trying to storm out on a new pair of legs- it's surprising he didn't fall on his face actually. And his cry of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO," while highly mockable in it's own way, was also actually a very emotional moment to me- you can say whatever you want about what he should've done, but I believe that in his position that's exactly what one would do. And I liked the way he was tearing apart everything around him through the force... and the way Palpatine just sort of chuckled, knowing that he'd gotten exactly what he wanted. Ugh.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme in episode II was, IMO, painful. "I'm dying inside and it's all your fault!!!" Give me a break. But in Episode III they both acted appropriately, the right mix of love and pain, and most of what was said was short and to the point- very appropriate I think. I didn't hate any of their scenes here.

Episode III is not my favorite in the series, but I consider it just about perfect for what it was. My order of favorites is this:

ROTJ
ESB
ANH - ROTS (apples and oranges really)
AOTC
TPM

Frankly, I urge anybody who sees ROTS for the first time to, if they haven't in a while, resee ROTJ afterwards- it all really clicks that way I think, or it does for me at least.

Offline Starbee

• Youngling
  • I'm a Bitch. I'm a mother. Sometimes I embarrass m
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I agree with HOTP with the list.  The only thing I would change is the last two.
Starbee Out!

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 07:08 PM »
ROTS was great. :)
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 02:17 PM »
I love ROTS.  Not every scene of course but for the most part I have a great time watching it.  Probably goes like this for me. 

1 ESB
2 ANH (Very close to ESB)
3 ROTJ (A bit farther down than the other 2)
4 ROTS (very close to ROTJ)
5 AOTC (farther down than ROTS)
6 TPM  (Way down the ladder)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:34 AM »
ROTS is my favorite of the PT.
1.ESB
2.ROTS