Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 412936 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #1065 on: July 2, 2011, 03:29 AM »
Here's the latest for my Canadian MOC collection, a Bespin Guard.  It used to be a Transition card, but the ROTJ logo sticker was removed from the front and the large offer sticker was removed from the back.  The offer sticker is still present on the front though, so it gives it a big of a story. :)  (Sorry for the grainy iPhone pics)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Ugh, I dropped more on a single action figure over the weekend than I've ever spent before. Not really a great feeling, pangs of buyer's remorse are already setting in.

It's hard for me to set a distinct value on some of the premium DROIDS carded figures because they pop up so infrequently. In the past 3 months alone I've seen a carded A-Wing Pilot go for over $400 and a carded C-3PO go for a little over $200.

I guess generally I feel like a good condition carded 3PO, R2, A-Wing Pilot, Sise Fromm and of course Boba are all worth upwards of $200 or so, obviously with some fluctuations in there from figure to figure. Is that crazy?

Anyway, I actually picked up R2-D2 on a very clean card with minimal yellowing, creasing, etc. More than I wanted to spend certainly but not necessarily more than it is worth. At least I hope not.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 25, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I finally scored a very minty DROIDS A-Wing fighter, 100% complete, although in a decidedly un-minty original box. I can live with that though, this was too good a steal to pass up. ($150)

Still looking for a nice boxed ATL Interceptor...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1068 on: August 1, 2011, 08:28 PM »
McMetal - sounds like a great score on an A-Wing, congrats!

I've been picking up a lot of vintage over the past couple months, I've practically doubled my collection since mid-May...

Two day haul from the Motor City Comic-Con in May. The Bespin Control Room is a sealed piece, while the Max Rebo, Dengar, and Stormtrooper are upgrades. Bespin Leia allowed me to complete the 3 major variants of the figure and I finally have a die-cast TIE Fighter for the first time since I was 5!

A nice pair of items from an RS member (Vintage_City) - the PDT-8 rig and the Dewback saddle are upgrades (never had the reins).

My buddy Ash gave a me a great hook-up with a number of vintage boxes to complete several pieces. The Rancor and CAP-2 were the only ones to come with toys, though I already have them.

Ash also helped me complete my collection of movie figures with the final piece to the puzzle - Blue Snaggletooth! The silver on the belt buckle and boots is obviously not the best, but the blue plastic on the torso and limbs is some of the best I've ever seen in hand.

Not a spectacular pick-up here, always wanted to nab the POTF2 set and got this for dirt cheap at a garage sale listed on Craigslist. More importantly it was a gateway to the next score...

The guy I bought the POTF2 set was having a garage sale at his friend's house (I think he owed his buddy $$) and mentioned he had some boxed vintage he was considering selling and wanted to know if I'd come back the next day to check it out. I did go back the next day and after some haggling I picked these 6 ESB pieces. The Slave 1 practically has no stickers on it - an unused sheet came with it. The Bespin Leia came along for the ride in the Cloud Car.

And finally, the biggest haul of them all! My Holy Grail!! I got a great deal on this Imperial Shuttle from another RS member (dspair) - I've wanted the Shuttle since I was 6 years old and have been so ecstatic over finally having it in my collection. This has become the centerpiece of my collection and I just can't stop staring at.  ;D

This is just the first part of my "Summer of Vintage", I've got more coming in from eBay later this week. Woo hoo!!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 1, 2011, 09:38 PM »
That's a hell of a summer you're having!  8)

I love the Micro pieces and the Shuttle.  Congrats on fulfilling a dream!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 1, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Yeah, that's an insanely awesome haul, I am totally drooling! When I made the decision to complete my vintage collection I decided to go loose, but I have a few boxed vehicles and it really does add a lot to the nostalgia factor.

And I hear you on the Shuttle - my White Whale is the vintage AT-AT, never owned it as a kid, always wanted it. I've purposely left it as the last piece of my collection to complete. The only other non-figure piece I need is the ATL Interceptor.

Your Slave I looks cherry. pretty much like the virgin A-Wing I just received, complete with untouched sticker sheet. I learned the hard way you are better off leaving those on the sheet.

Your photos remind me I need to upgrade my Dewback reins too, mine have broken with age. :(

Thanks for sharing!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 7, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Thanks guys, it's been a fun summer so far collecting-wise.

McMetal - I too started collecting just loose items then realized that I should have gotten the boxes as well. Many of my memories of going to a toy store as a kid was seeing all the great displays of the vintage boxed items. And now today a good chunk of my time in my collection room is spent looking at the boxes, lol!

That ATL Interceptor is a rough one to find, I never see one come up on eBay. It's going to be a hunt for me at C6 for that item. Good luck on your hunt for one.

Should have some more pictures taken soon as I've gotten a number of new items.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 12, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Been a long while since I've been able to post something in here directly related to the thread title. Nothing super special, but picked up a complete Dagobah Action Playset in a resealed ESB box. The box is in "good' shape. Fun to add some actual vintage to the collection again.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1073 on: August 13, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Not exactly SW but I made a fairly massive score today at a local St. Vincent DePaul.  I pulled a G1 technobot Scattershot, vintage MOTU Horde Trooper, vintage Joe Snow Cat and howitzer (not sure the exact name) out of a toy bin all for $2.

The Horde Trooper and Scattershot are in pretty good shape, the Joes less so.  But wow!

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 18, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Greetings

I haven´t purchased any vintage kenner figure since vintage time, cuase in my country are scrace and extremely expensive.

I want to buy some figures I missed from the original collection and realize it could be better to acquire loose figures, then after saving a bit go for the carded.

I want some advise please

Could you tell me if this C-8 DSCommander is used or new?

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SV3LSDEATHSQUADCOMMANDERC8*C8

All figures with repro gun or weapon are second hand (used toys)?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

EpicGon

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #1075 on: August 24, 2011, 02:55 AM »
The link is not working but if its Brian's toys then your better off going with eBay.If its bagged then the bag would say kenner on it and have tape or heat sealed.
He's no good to me open

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 24, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Agreed, eBay is way more appropriately priced than those gougers at Brian's Toys, no matter what figure you are talking about. Their pricing is absurd.

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 2, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I picked up a loose / mint / complete Yoda with orange snake for $3 at a comic shop.  It was my favorite movie figure as a kid, so I am happy to have it again.

Offline tyfighter

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 2, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Pick up a MLC and MTV mini rig off ebay for $13. 

Also pick up a Paploo POTF on card for $10.  The card is really beat up.  Paploo will come out of broken bubble.  Staff taped to bubble. Coin still sealed to card.

Past on a White Tie Fighter at a thrift store today for $15. 
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 06:46 PM by tyfighter »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 6, 2011, 10:09 PM »
Hi All,

Well the Summer of Vintage 2011 keeps rolling on for me as since my last post I've gotten even more items to fill my collection room. At this point I believe I've pretty much doubled my collection from prior to the summer. Here we go...

This was a sizable pick-up from Craigslist that netted me some excellent boxes. Every box here came with an incomplete toy, the TIE Fighter is only missing a strut while the Micro Freeze Chamber is missing a number of pieces. The Dagobah set was a big score in that while all the pieces to the playset are missing, the swamp foam was complete and intact!!! That made for a great upgrade to my loose set.

From the same haul comes all the die-cast Micro figures I picked up. A notable group is the Build Your Army mailer set, though it's missing 2 of the figures.

Not pictured with the Craigslist haul was the Cloud City playset box I picked up. I was shocked to find an empty box w/ instructions for the set so I made sure to nab it. I then went and bought a complete loose set off of eBay later that week to complete the piece. I never saw this playset in person, so I was surprised to find out how small it really is. It's a great piece though, I would have loved to have seen Jabba's palace done like this.

In August, eBay was very good to me - I picked up both Sears exclusive Jabba's Dungeon playsets. The ROTJ set came with all of it's figures, while the POTF set did not. I really bought this for the POTF set since I had a complete ROTJ set, but for the price I couldn't complain about getting extras.  ;)

Not everything from eBay is a winner - I picked up this X-Wing in a bit of haste. The auction was ending, the price was right ($33 after shipping) and the pic looked good to my eyes so I decided to bid and eventually won. Then I got it in the mail and was disappointed - the ship had more yellowing than I expected and was pretty dirty and the box looked like a dog chewed it up and spat it out. I went back to the auction and sure enough the picture did accurately portray the toy, I just saw it with rose-colored glasses. Oh well, the price was good, it shipped fast, and after a thorough cleaning it displays well (the ship, not the box) so I'm holding on to it as a place holder until I find a better one.

This is my haul from my first day at the 2011 Chicago Comic-Con - the figures are mostly for customs or upgrades. The Battle Damaged TIE Fighter was to finally get myself the box for the item as it turned out it had the BD stickers already on the ship so now I have on display a loose TIE with and without the stickers. The real big score is the MISB ATL Interceptor I got for only $100! You never see these guys for sale and when you do never a MISB set, loose ones go for at least what I paid for it so I was quick to jump on it. It's a beautiful piece and displays nicely with my Side Gunner and POTF mini-rigs.

Here's my Day 2 haul from Comic-Con - the Jabba guards are all upgrades and Thall Joben is a complete figure as I now delve into the Droids & Ewoks figures and the Emperor mailer was rather inexpensive (or so I thought - see next pic). The Imperial Troop Transport was the 2nd biggest score of the weekend - I had seen it during my first visit but it was priced higher than I wanted. My buddy sent me a pic of it that he'd seen from another site's coverage with the still too high of a price tag on it. Well my day 2 visit to the show was the last day for the con and it was still available, after some minor haggling I got the price down to something I was more comfortable paying and now it belongs to me.  ;D

And finally just from this past weekend, I stopped by one of my favorite stores in Chicago - Quake Collectibles. I've been going to Quake for a good 10+ years now and as any of you who have been there may know, it's a great place to find hidden treasures and neat items. I've picked up many vintage pieces over there years there and went there explicitly to pickup some weapons I know would be available. What I was surprised to find were several baggie figures of RL C-3P0 and the Emperor for $2.50 ea! I picked them up along with a die-cast Darth Vader TIE and my fave score from the trip - a moulded face Jedi Luke! I was more shocked to find this figure in the cheapie bin than I was the baggie figures, so I quickly picked him up. Now I just need to get a complete set of accessories and my Jedi Luke variants will be all complete!

So there you have it, more vintage greatness for the summer. I'm going out east soon to visit my buddy Ash and I'm sure we'll find more vintage along the way. Getting back so heavily into the vintage has been refreshing and so enjoyable- it definitely trumps all.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin