Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 413708 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #690 on: August 12, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Sweet score Darb ;D

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #691 on: August 12, 2009, 10:54 PM »
On vacation in Chicago, and so I went to Quake today after hearing so many good things about it.  Definitely glad I did:

;D  Literally had to PEEL myself out of that store.  Vintage holy land.  What was kind of neat in a weird way was the number of customs in his loose boxes - someone didn't like their work anymore.  One was a very deformed 98 Spacetrooper.  Sad, because I never got that one.

I recognize that A-Wing Pilot! He was on the lowest shelf behind the counter right? He's been there for a couple years I believe, glad to see he got a good home.  Is the Land of the Jawas set complete? Quake is a great store, my earlier post where I scored several boxed items occurred there. It's been a while since I've been there I think it's time for me to go back. BTW, what have you been doing in Chicago on vacation, there's tons of fun to do here.

Jesse - that Die Cast Vader TIE is super sweet, brings back memories of getting that at a local Sears.

Carp - nice pickup on the Yak-Face as already said it's a great deal for the price. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger online for Yak-Face (and Luke Stormtrooper & Blue Snaggletooth), to pay so much without having it hand bothers me a bit. Have you had any concerns in that regards?

II - were those your childhood figures you showed? They looked pretty good for being in storage for so long.

Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #692 on: August 12, 2009, 11:17 PM »
I too have had some new acquisitions lately, several in the last week or so that have helped knock off a few more variants from my list...

I'll start off with an odd find I had at the Big Apple Comic-Con when I was in NYC in June (the Comic-Con happened to be taking place down the street from where my friends and I were staying so it was an easy thing to check out, especially for free admission). I found this guy in a $2 bin, I was shocked to find such a shiny gold BSG for that cheap...

In the south suburbs of Chicago there is a somewhat regular toy show, I went for the first time last weekend with one of my buddies from the local collectors group. I came back with a complete Jord Dusat and a red/brown hair Bespin Luke sans saber for a total of $10! Not shown I also picked up a Duloks coin and a couple of extra accessories for a couple extra bucks.

Then this past weekend was Wizard World Chicago, I went on Sunday when all the dealers are trying to blow out their stock. And what lucky finds I came back with. An almost complete Ewok Village (just missing the t-cap) with a somewhat faded box (though displays nicely) for $45. A nice added touch, the set came with 5 Ewoks, 2 Teebos and 3 Lograys with variants of each. Now I just need their accessories to check those off the variant list. A Battle Damaged X-Wing with box and missing one cannon for $35. The ship is really good condition, the cockpit cover is clear and the BD stickers are applied which gives a nice contrast to my other BD X-Wing which doesn't have the stickers on it. Also found a red hair Hoth Leia complete with minor paint loss in a $5 bin, another shocking find. And finally scored a Warok for $30, now I'm just down to Luke Stormtrooper, Yak-Face, and Blue Snags to finish off my figure collection before starting with the Droids/Ewoks.

A final pickup at WW was a snap cape for Jedi Luke for $8. I've placed the cape on my blue saber/painted face Jedi Luke as seen below.

So it's been a vintage-heavy period for me lately, the only catch is I don't have space to put some of the stuff without making compromises. A good problem to have though...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 13, 2009, 03:10 AM »
;D  Literally had to PEEL myself out of that store.  Vintage holy land.  What was kind of neat in a weird way was the number of customs in his loose boxes - someone didn't like their work anymore.  One was a very deformed 98 Spacetrooper.  Sad, because I never got that one.

Nice, that's only about a mile from where I just moved to.  It's on my list of places to go check out, hopefully real soon.  With the Cubs on a home stand this week, it's tough to go anywhere in the evenings after work.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #694 on: August 13, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Carp - nice pickup on the Yak-Face as already said it's a great deal for the price. I've been hesitant to pull the trigger online for Yak-Face (and Luke Stormtrooper & Blue Snaggletooth), to pay so much without having it hand bothers me a bit. Have you had any concerns in that regards?

Thanks. I've completed the grand majority of my vintage stuff from ebay auctions (especially the POTF stuff), and I've had very few issues in doing so. I got a Blue Snag a few months ago that way, and I couldn't be happier with it. Haven't gotten the Yak yet, but if the pictures are honest, it should be a good grab as well. I just always make sure to buy from those with good reps, and it hasn't bitten me on the ass too much.

Looks like you've picked up some really amazing deals yourself lately - nice stuff!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 12:35 PM by Carpeteria3000 »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 13, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Wow, this thread has been a lot of fun to read lately, lots of new stuff being acquired, and a variety of stuff at that.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 13, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Really nice pick up guys, nice to you all acquiring vintage stuff.  8)

This is not vintage but just way too cool & thought I would share it in here. I received today, a modern Russian Yoda carded bootleg.  8)

Russian POTF2 Bootlegs on Vintage Style Cardbacks

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #697 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52 AM »
Those are awesome. I always think it's funny how little discretion there is behind which figures are bootlegged - Vader, Yoda, Chewbacca, and... two different Bossks. Sure, why not?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 14, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Dale, that rocks!  I've been considering picking up a Russian Vader for a while now, but haven't quite been able to pull the trigger on the (very cool but very expensive) figure.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #699 on: August 14, 2009, 12:23 PM »
How expensive are those, anyway? Isn't it sort of ironic that bootlegs would be more expensive? How would you ever know that it was an "authentic" bootleg, anyway? What really went on between Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys, and who really pulled the trigger on JFK?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 14, 2009, 01:00 PM »
How expensive are those, anyway? Isn't it sort of ironic that bootlegs would be more expensive? How would you ever know that it was an "authentic" bootleg, anyway? What really went on between Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys, and who really pulled the trigger on JFK?

How expensive are those, anyway?

A few bucks. Hint: Depending on the rarity of the boot & what countrie, anywhere from $20. to $10,099.00 Best damn auction I watched live!  :o :o  8)

Isn't it sort of ironic that bootlegs would be more expensive?

Nope, unlicensed items/boots are hard to find especially in good/mint condition. Some if not a great amount have been destroyed in their countries. I have seen pics of them getting destroyed.   :'(

How would you ever know that it was an "authentic" bootleg, anyway?

From the bootleg pros of course.  ;)

What really went on between Marilyn Monroe and the Kennedys,

Something about a Happy Birthday song that got someone pissed.  ::)

and who really pulled the trigger on JFK?

Why the Comedian did silly!  :D

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #701 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49 PM »
How would you ever know that it was an "authentic" bootleg, anyway?

From the bootleg pros of course.  ;)

Well, I guess my point is, if you wanted to reproduce or make a "bootleg" bootleg, how would anyone know the difference? We're not talking about high quality goods to begin with, here. Seems odd to me.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #702 on: August 14, 2009, 06:41 PM »
On vacation in Chicago, and so I went to Quake today after hearing so many good things about it.  Definitely glad I did:

I recognize that A-Wing Pilot! He was on the lowest shelf behind the counter right? He's been there for a couple years I believe, glad to see he got a good home.  Is the Land of the Jawas set complete? Quake is a great store, my earlier post where I scored several boxed items occurred there. It's been a while since I've been there I think it's time for me to go back. BTW, what have you been doing in Chicago on vacation, there's tons of fun to do here.

He was on a back shelf - didn't see exactly where since Dave pulled him out when we were chatting about what I was looking for.  The playset is very complete.  Very happy about that. 

I've been attendeing a writer's conference at NW.  Having a blast.  Just got back from wtaching the Cubs destroy the Pirates.  ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42 PM »
I've been attendeing a writer's conference at NW.  Having a blast.  Just got back from wtaching the Cubs destroy the Pirates.  ;D

You were two blocks from my house then. :)  And you picked a good day to go, they just got swept by the Phillies.

And when you're at NW, you're two blocks from my office.  I work on East Ohio just off Michigan Ave.  I was actually walking around the campus today watching the military jets buzz the city.  

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:43 PM by Rob »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #704 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Sweet. 

They were  buzzing Wrigley during the game, like 20 times.  It was fantastic.  I had a great view of them the entire game.