Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 413813 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #795 on: November 4, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Yeah, the two I have are practically identical, nowhere near as differentiated as in the pic above. I think I can return it minus the shipping, which is better than nothing, I guess. I already have a bid out on another Blue Uggie from a different seller that again, has a photo which looks very blue to me. Let's hope it's not just my monitor again.  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 4, 2009, 11:33 PM »
So you both had the purple looking version, but not the blue?  I though the blue was the more common by far...  ???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 5, 2009, 10:39 AM »
I honestly have no idea at this point. When I hold my Ug up to the one I got recently, the aprons appear to be nearly identical. (Nowhere near like the picture you posted) The Seller SWEARS he sent me the Blue version, but it does not seem to match the photo from his auction. On the other hand, he has been very responsive and seemingly willing to help, so I don't think it's an outright scam either. I guess I'm going to just have to keep buying these until I can find one that actually looks blue to me.

I just know I'm going to have the same problem with the Klaatu variant. (Grey limbs? Tan limbs? Ugh...)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 5, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Bespin Leia with Turtleneck is now off the list, picked her up tonight. (so to speak)

Slowly the list is shrinking.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #799 on: November 8, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I was reading about Ugnaught and am surprised to hear you are having trouble getting a blue one. It was alwasy the more common version. There is a big difference in color when you see them in person so if they look the same you are probably out of luck.

As for Klaatu, that was a true pain becuase the brown is so slight. I have one with all 4 brown limbs but it wasnt easy to find. Ended up with 1 all brown, 1 all gray, and 1 half gray and half brown.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 8, 2009, 02:41 PM »
I haven't seen the Klaatu variation.  Do you have pictures?  Is this a difference in plastics used or just discoloration over time?  Seems odd that you would have a half and half version - I guess they just mixed parts at the plant.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 8, 2009, 08:53 PM »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 8, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Well, really it's not so much a question of finding one, as finding one that is ACTUALLY, obviously Blue. The last one I bought off eBay, which I have to ship back tomorrow, looked blue in the photo but when I got it it was the same shade of purple as the one I had. (Seller SWEARS it is really the blue one)

I don't know what to think, honestly. I mean, I can tell purple from blue, the pics from JediJman look obvious enough to me. Compounding my uncertainty is some speculation I have read online that this is not a true variant, but a simple color degradation of the soft goods over time. I'm not sure I buy that, but it does make me wonder.

I'm likely going to try picking up another one this week or next; maybe I will have better luck.

RE: Klaatu: yeah, the mix and match limbs seem to be the more common of the variants for this fig. I actually want one with ALL tan limbs, which I have a line on but haven't pulled the trigger yet. (soon)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 8, 2009, 10:51 PM »
I'm still curious to see what yours look like.  Do both of yours look like the strong purple in the picture I posted?  When I was younger, I thought I had the purple one because it's not a strong royal blue - more of a blue/violet.  Then I got the true purple one and was stunned at the color difference.  There's no way it's fabric color wear, and pretty much everything I've read says that color degredation is tied to plastics not fabric. 

JV - thanks for the pics on Klaatu.  That is a really difficult color variation to spot.  Looks almost easier to spot the difference in green skin color - at least in the photo. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 9, 2009, 10:34 AM »
Yeah, I wish I could post a pic before I send it back. I'm pretty hopeless with that stuff though.

All I know is that I examined both repeatedly and stared REALLY hard trying to convince myself the two were different and I could not. Whereas I look at the pic you posted and the difference is quite obvious.

I went ahead and snagged that All-Tan-Limb Klaatu I had my eye on...even without the weapon this was too good to pass up for the price. I looked closely and definitely have the grey version already, so this should complete my Klaatu run. (Not worried about the mix and match color variants, and I don't buy that "blue face" variant people are trying to pass off on eBay)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #805 on: November 9, 2009, 05:09 PM »
I wish i could post some pics for you but my stuff is in NJ and i am in hell (Arizona). If you still want them when i go back for Xmas, i will dig them out.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I got my replacement "farm boy" Luke yesterday in the mail and am very pleased with the overall condition, down to the minty lightsaber with tip intact. VERY happy about this one. (My original was in sad shape, no saber and slathered in green paint) Now I just have to debate whether I need to replace my Obi-Wan and Vader due to saber-wear over the years.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 13, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I got my refund for the Faux-Blue Apron Ugnaught and promptly re-invested it in a nice Bespin Luke Brown Hair variant.

Making some good head way on the variant list...should be wrapping up the non-premium variants in the next couple of weeks. Then back to the 10 remaining POTF figs, and finally playsets and vehicles.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 13, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I got my refund for the Faux-Blue Apron Ugnaught and promptly re-invested it in a nice Bespin Luke Brown Hair variant.

Making some good head way on the variant list...should be wrapping up the non-premium variants in the next couple of weeks. Then back to the 10 remaining POTF figs, and finally playsets and vehicles.

Nice work - you need to get us some pics of this stuff!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #809 on: November 14, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Picked up some loose (bagged) figures today from a local shop today.

Short mouth Biker Scout (complete with blaster)
Rancor Keeper (my orig. vintage one was ****)
Nien Numb (mint with blaster)
Walrus Man (minty with blaster)
Klaatu (grayish face, fuzzier skirt)

all for $36.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird