Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 410462 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #945 on: April 2, 2010, 10:41 PM »
Nice stuff Dale. I remember the era of Estes really well and crashing a lot of things too.  Launching them horizontally into garages was a hoot but a one timer kind of thing.   :-X  I still have one of my airplanes we used to fly on the end of strings.  Very cool.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 5, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Busy night again last night...

Picked up the vintage Ewok Village, long since lost from my original cache. Looks to be a pretty decent set, more or less complete, and the whole thing was only $30 with shipping, so that's not too bad.

Also picked up a replacement vintage Slave 1 (no idea what became of my original) which looks to be pretty decent. The picture was blurry but from what I can tell and based on the description all stickers are intact. It's missing the Carbonite block and rear sliding door, but I already have the block leftover from back in the day, and the sliding door should be easily replaceable. I didn't really need to spend the extra $$$, but I had put in the first bid a few days back and no other bids ever came in, so I won it without even really trying. Good get.

My best score though, mainly due to sheer luck, was snagging a replacement canopy for my battle damaged X-Wing. (I bought one a few weeks back incomplete and needed this to finish it out) I had bid on a few previously, but the prices always got too crazy. Looking back, it's a damn good thing I didn't win those because I was foolishly searching for a CLEAR canopy rather than the TINTED version specific to the Battle Damaged ship.

I just happened to stumble across an auction for one last night, and after some quick research realized what it was and that I had to have it, and luckily was able to stomp the other bidders in the last few seconds. $10 is a bit pricey, but I rarely see canopies at all, much less the tinted versions, and they usually command a pretty steep price. (Saw a clear one go off last night for $28) Luckily this auction did not have the word "canopy" in the title, so I think that helped to my advantage.

Down to 11 items left!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 6, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Awesome stuff guys and Dale I didn't see some of that stuff at the Edmonton show, but great pick-ups. At the Edmonton show I picked up the following:

- ROTJ Ewok Catapult MIB
- ROTJ Ewok Glider MIB
- ROTJ R5-D4 MOC
- ROTJ 2-1B MOC
- ROTJ Han Hoth MOC
- ROTJ 4-LOM MOC
- ROTJ Hoth Rebel Soldier MOC
- ROTJ Bespin Security Guard MOC

The selection at that show was awesome this year and is the place to pick up vintage in Alberta. Also great to hang out with some fellow collectors.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 29, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Hardly seems worth mentioning, but I have been picking up some spare odds and ends. Got a replacement Rebel Troop Transport gun, as I had lost one of my original pair. Also picked up the boulder for the Ewok Village. That just leaves about 65 other small pieces I need to complete that set.  ::)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 7, 2010, 09:14 AM »
Really slow progress now that I am down to the last few items...but I did manage to pick up a minty vintage survival kit, still sealed in its original packaging. What a great mailaway offer that was! I have been trying to score this for a few weeks but I kept getting outbid. I finally got lucky last night though so it's on the way.

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 7, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Two new pick-ups:

- ESB Hoth Trooper MOC
- SW R2-D2 12back MOC

I'll try and post some pics in the next day or so.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 9, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Took down a Big One on Saturday...R2-D2 with pop-up light-saber is now mine.  ;D

UK seller + vague description = good bargain. (IMHO, anything under $60 qualifies as a bargain as far as this bugger goes)

This only leaves Yak Face and Blue Snags as the remaining figures on my hit list. (Super pricey variants excepted)

Just out of curiosity, anyone know an easy way I can verify authenticity of the pop-up light-saber? I know there are some repros floating around and just want to be 100% sure I have the real deal when it arrives.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 9, 2010, 10:11 PM »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 9, 2010, 10:31 PM »
Should help.

Armory Of The Jawas Repro Photo Guide

Excellent, thanks so much. I see they have an entry specifically for the pop-up lightsaber. I have bookmarked that for future reference...hoping I got the "real deal" though.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 11, 2010, 07:19 PM »
I just doubled the size of my vintage carded collection after buying 4 figures today.  :D  I found them listed on a popular Kelowna-local news and classifieds website.  $50 each.

They are all Canadian carded to continue the pattern of my 4 other ROTJ figures.

Nikto and Prune Face:

The Paploo was a pleasant surprise, I didn't even notice this until I got it home - it's Made in Mexico.  8)

But the one I was most excited about was the Rebel Soldier [Hoth Battle Gear].  For a Canadian carded guy, this is huge, a Transition card!  And for just $50 like the others.  8)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:22 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 12, 2010, 05:29 AM »
Nice pick-ups Jesse.  8)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 12, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Yeah, well done, those are sharp...great prices too.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 13, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I received this beauty in mail yesterday. Die Cast Tie Fighter Dutch Clipper. The search continues for other carded variations (Harbert, Palitoy, Toltoys etc).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 13, 2010, 12:52 PM »
Clipper, very cool. 

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Nice pick-ups guys, Jesse really like that transition card.