Author Topic: Fantasy NBA?  (Read 23067 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Personally, I find it silly that we don't just use the live draft option in Yahoo.  It takes all of two hours, it's 100% fair, and I don't have to worry about missing a draft pick because my net connection is down, or because I don't check the boards for 2-3 days.  And to be honest, I don't want to scroll through pages of posts just to see who's drafted who.

That sounds like a good option to me.  I rather get the draft done in one shot then have it go on for a few days.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Can we put this to a vote?  Really, to be perfectly blunt, I find the idea of a forum-based draft absurd for many reasons.

John

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
OK, see here is the problem...

Yes, there are two "time-stamped" PMs in your box.  I got that part.  But, you seem to think there is NO way anyone can "control" the draft via this method, but you are WRONG.  You do still have some influence over the interpretation of the draft order.

There are at least two distinct ways of "matching up" those lists.  The first way to do it is the way that you chose - assigning the numbers in Kev's list with the teams in Brent's list:

12 Canuckleheads
  9 EZ
  7 Minnesota Muskies
10 Dunking Wookies
11 THE PULPHORNS
  1 Dressel's Rebels
  3 Dooku's Dunkers
  2 The Famine
  5 Snagglicious
  6 vacant1s
  4 S words
  8 The Zods

Obviously, this method favors you and Kev, which is why there is some suspicion, especially when you see the second way to do it...

The second way to interpret the two "time-stamped" PMs is as follows.  You assign numbers to Morgbug's team list, and then match those numbers to the list Kev gave you.  It comes out with a WHOLE different draft order.

Brent's list =

1 Canuckleheads
  2 EZ
  3 Minnesota Muskies
  4 Dunking Wookies
  5 THE PULPHORNS
  6 Dressel's Rebels
  7 Dooku's Dunkers
  8 The Famine
  9 Snagglicious
10 vacant1s
11 S words
12 The Zods

Then, matching to Kev's list your draft order would be:

12 The Zods
  9 Snagglicious
  7 Dooku's Dunkers
10 vacant1s
11 S words
  1 Canuckleheads
  3 Minnesota Muskies
  2 EZ
  5 THE PULPHORNS
  6 Dressel's Rebels
  4 Dunking Wookies
  8 The Famine

See, using THIS numbering schema, the draft order then becomes much different.  Instead of you and Kevin being #1-2, you are now #10 and #12

Can you see now why even though Kevin and Brent sent two "time-stamped" PMs, there is still room for some people to doubt you?

Just trying to help you understand that your "fool proof" draft order isn't as lock solid as you'd like to think and that despite the fact that you have two "time-stamped" PMs, there is still room for suspicion (regardless of whether it is warrented or not).

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
What the hell does it take to get a top half pick in JD fantasy sports for crying out loud?  This will now officially be my 6th JD Fantasy Sports draft, and I don't think I've picked in the top half of the round yet.

This is statistically improbable.  >:(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
OK, see here is the problem...

Yes, there are two "time-stamped" PMs in your box.  I got that part.  But, you seem to think there is NO way anyone can "control" the draft via this method, but you are WRONG.  You do still have some influence over the interpretation of the draft order.

There are at least two distinct ways of "matching up" those lists.  The first way to do it is the way that you chose - assigning the numbers in Kev's list with the teams in Brent's list:

12 Canuckleheads
  9 EZ
  7 Minnesota Muskies
10 Dunking Wookies
11 THE PULPHORNS
  1 Dressel's Rebels
  3 Dooku's Dunkers
  2 The Famine
  5 Snagglicious
  6 vacant1s
  4 S words
  8 The Zods

Obviously, this method favors you and Kev, which is why there is some suspicion, especially when you see the second way to do it...

The second way to interpret the two "time-stamped" PMs is as follows.  You assign numbers to Morgbug's team list, and then match those numbers to the list Kev gave you.  It comes out with a WHOLE different draft order.

Brent's list =

1 Canuckleheads
  2 EZ
  3 Minnesota Muskies
  4 Dunking Wookies
  5 THE PULPHORNS
  6 Dressel's Rebels
  7 Dooku's Dunkers
  8 The Famine
  9 Snagglicious
10 vacant1s
11 S words
12 The Zods

Then, matching to Kev's list your draft order would be:

12 The Zods
  9 Snagglicious
  7 Dooku's Dunkers
10 vacant1s
11 S words
  1 Canuckleheads
  3 Minnesota Muskies
  2 EZ
  5 THE PULPHORNS
  6 Dressel's Rebels
  4 Dunking Wookies
  8 The Famine

See, using THIS numbering schema, the draft order then becomes much different.  Instead of you and Kevin being #1-2, you are now #10 and #12

Can you see now why even though Kevin and Brent sent two "time-stamped" PMs, there is still room for some people to doubt you?

Just trying to help you understand that your "fool proof" draft order isn't as lock solid as you'd like to think and that despite the fact that you have two "time-stamped" PMs, there is still room for suspicion (regardless of whether it is warrented or not).

Jeff

In the previous 3 leagues, we did it fhe first way you showed there, not the second.  That's a fact.

So if the first item on Brent's list says "John" and the first item on Kev's list says "8", then John goes 8th. 

Then if the second item on Brent's list says "Liz" and the second item on Kev's list says "1", then Liz goes 1st. 

That's how it's always been done, that's how it was done this time.

The lists are time stamped, Kev's came in FIRST, and it cannot have been altered.

The draft order stands.  Period.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
In the previous 3 leagues, we did it fhe first way you showed there, not the second.  That's a fact.

It's a fact, but it's a fact that is wrong...

It doesn't look like last year's basketball draft was done that way.

Well I have the honor again to pick list of the draft order. All names were on paper & drawn. So here we go:

1:   The jaws.
2:   Mos Eisley Mynocks.
3:   Canuckleheads.
4:   Not a Contender.
5:   Thug Squad Ballers.
6:   Dressel's Rebels.
7:   Minnesota Muskies.
8:   The Famine.
9:   The Zods.
10: Dunkin' Wookiees.

There you have it, have fun!  :)

"Let's get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmble!"

Nor does it look like this year's Hockey Draft was done that way...

Here ya go:

1:   Mikey.
2:   Brent.
3:   Kevin.
4:   Jesse J.
5:   Rob.
6:   Scott.
7:   Jesse V.   :P
8:   Jeff.
9:   Jason.
10: Jamie.

Have fun.  :)

Again, I'm not accusing you, just pointing out some errors in your "facts".

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline sfg

• Youngling
    • View Profile
My password for my time stamped PM box is available for anyone who wants to double check the PMs I posted in this thread.

I would like to check.  Please PM me Username and Password.

I'm going to settle this once and ******* for all.

>:(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile

It's a fact, but it's a fact that is wrong...

It doesn't look like last year's basketball draft was done that way.

Well I have the honor again to pick list of the draft order. All names were on paper & drawn. So here we go:

1:   The jaws.
2:   Mos Eisley Mynocks.
3:   Canuckleheads.
4:   Not a Contender.
5:   Thug Squad Ballers.
6:   Dressel's Rebels.
7:   Minnesota Muskies.
8:   The Famine.
9:   The Zods.
10: Dunkin' Wookiees.

There you have it, have fun!  :)

"Let's get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmble!"

Nor does it look like this year's Hockey Draft was done that way...

Here ya go:

1:   Mikey.
2:   Brent.
3:   Kevin.
4:   Jesse J.
5:   Rob.
6:   Scott.
7:   Jesse V.   :P
8:   Jeff.
9:   Jason.
10: Jamie.

Have fun.  :)

Again, I'm not accusing you, just pointing out some errors in your "facts".

Jeff

I did not run that league.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Wow, haven't visited this thread for a couple days and its certainly gotten messy.  While I don't think (hope) that anyone would cheat or fix things in any way, it does seem to make more sense to me to have someone not involved in the league do the draft.  No ill feelings either way, but it just seems like there would be no cause for any disagreement or argument that way.

I've asked this before, but why the hell don't you people let some unbiased third party (like me, or anyone else NOT playing) randomly select the draft order?

- M

I'd say if the majority feels this way, just re-do the draft order at random through someone else, like Matt or Dale or whoever.  No one has picked yet, no harm, no foul.  Like I said, I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong...but this way, at least everyone should feel more comfortable with the process.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
I don't recall seeing an answer to my question - why we can't use a draft format (Yahoo live draft) that would be fair, efficient, reliable, error-free, and corruption-free.  I think the only answer I've had to that is some BS about people not wanting to auto-rank their players.  I sure hope that's not the only reason, because it's pretty pathetic if that's the case.

I don't know how long past drafts have lasted, but with me in this one I need to make it clear that it could go on several days.  I try to not get online at work, because they really frown upon it (though it's not stopping me from making this post).  I rarely get online at home, other than to occasionally check e-mail.  It's perfectly reasonable for me to say there will be 2-3 day stretches that I'm not online and won't be able to make my pick.  And as another example, Chris was out of town all last week and didn't have access to a computer.  Are you saying you'd really want to wait a whole week for a single draft pick?

If this isn't going to work out for the league, we either need to do a live draft, or I need to leave the league.  I'm not going to sit around my computer waiting for my next draft pick, nor do I want to wade through endless posts and manually keep track of who has who and who is left for me to draft. 

John

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
JohnH- We've always drafted that way, and it has always worked out.  If someone is going to be away for a week, then they prerank 10 players or so and send it to someone at the bottom of the draft order and they pick for them.  There is no "endless scrolling" because every few picks we put the current draft results all in once concise simple to follow post.

Mosnab-  There will not be a "repicking" of the draft order.  It was done the same way it has always been done in the leagues that I have ran.  Scott did not complain this past April when the same random draft method landed him the first pick in the draft.  Nor did Famine complain when this same random draft method landed him at the bottom of the draft order in football.  It's random, fair, and tamper proof.  The draft order stands.

Now let's have some fun with this thing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:11 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Sorry - but I've still got to object.

Does yahoo have any type of random draft order generator?

Or, could someone who's NOT associated with the league in any fashion be the one to come up with the order?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Sorry - but I've still got to object.

Does yahoo have any type of random draft order generator?

Or, could someone who's NOT associated with the league in any fashion be the one to come up with the order?

It does, and we can use it for the next league.  The draft order will not be repicked because Scott decided to raise hell over not liking the outcome.  It's the same method we used when Scotty got first pick in baseball, and the same method we just used when Famine got a bottom half pick in football.  It's tamper proof.  I will not change something after the fact because someone doesn't like the outcome.  If you want to make changes to rules, processes, or the way we draft, it'll be for next time.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Not to be a dick, but the season hasn't started and I already don't like the way it's being run.  I'm going to withdraw.  I think Chris is as well because he isn't registered here and doesn't feel the need to just to take place in the draft.

John

Offline sfg

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Not to be a dick, but the season hasn't started and I already don't like the way it's being run.  I'm going to withdraw.  I think Chris is as well because he isn't registered here and doesn't feel the need to just to take place in the draft.

John

I'll take JohnH's spot, if it's available.

:)