Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71888 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL Offseason
« Reply #525 on: July 23, 2005, 06:32 AM »
Yay us, we got the #1 draft...  Uh, yay.

No huge word on picks in the city yet other than that Crosby kid.  Pittsburgh's still reeling from no hockey for a year.  It hurt here, but the buzz is coming back around.

Doesn't hurt that the Pirates are back to licking fermunda cheese either...  It gives every PIttsburgher that, "When are the REAL sports coming back?" feeling...

It's hysterical when the countdown to spring training overtakes the importance of baseball news.  I mean, they flash that Steelers graphic every few seconds.  ;D  Gotta love this town.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 23, 2005, 09:42 PM »
How the hell did the Lightning end up with the bottom ******* pick!?

And to top it all off I hear it's a draft where the end of the first round picks at the top of the second - but the Lightning are without a second round pick this year for whatever reason... So they won't pick again until the end of the third and top of the fourth...

Blah.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #527 on: July 25, 2005, 01:02 AM »
Trades and stuff?  I'm not sure Rob, actually.  I didn't keep up with picks and stuff that franchises perhaps pushed away, but that maybe is the reason?   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL and NHLPA reach a deal, hockey returns!
« Reply #528 on: July 25, 2005, 01:07 AM »
How do I post a middle-finger?  Ah **** it...

ANyway, yeah we were pretty giddy...  Hockey's been a buzz anyway, but the ball bouncing "our way" for once helped tremendously. :)

The "next one" with the truly "great one" together?  Fuggetaboutit!   :P

Now all Pittsburgh needs is for a new Arena...  We're not folding anytime soon, especially considering that, the day of the NHL/NHLPA deal, the prices of Pens tickets dropped by about $20-$30 :)

I think you better take alook at the Caps folding.  They seem more likely to me at this point.  ;D 

I hope we get a new areana, not just for the pens, but because our downtown/uptown area NEEDS something new.  PNC Park (even with the PIrates blowing goats) did a LOT for the North Shore.  A new arena/slots area would do a lot for uptown too.  Hard to explain without knowing Pittsburgh's geography, but suffice it to say that it'd make about 100% difference for the entire city.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 25, 2005, 11:34 AM »
It's funny.  Our old arena was more on the west side of town and when they finally decided to build a new arena (after 30 years of debate and losing the Jets) for our AHL franchise (Moose), there was still a ton of debate.  Most commentary was entirely negative - not enough parking, downtown is dangerous, this will put women at risk of rape because of the testosterone fueled males leaving the venue (I kid you not, this was a "legitimate" argument).  But in the end it is a pretty positive thing, putting a ton of people downtown in the dead of winter.  I won't go so far as to say it revitalized the area, but it certainly injected a lot of life and seems to be a good starting point.  Hope you get yours in Pittsburgh.

Besides, I was just funning you.  New agreement or not + a team folding does not mean it's coming back here.  The arena is suitable, though small (16K), the interest is there and I'd contend the fanbase but we still have one problem.  Deep pockets.  No one around here is really capable/competent to be an owner.  We could do the Edmonton thing with a group of owners but that's unlikely too.  No, I don't think we'll be seeing the NHL back here. 

It will be interesting to see which buildings are full early in the season.  Pittsburgh should be one, Toronto will be another.  After that?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 25, 2005, 07:28 PM »
How the hell did the Lightning end up with the bottom ******* pick!?

And to top it all off I hear it's a draft where the end of the first round picks at the top of the second - but the Lightning are without a second round pick this year for whatever reason... So they won't pick again until the end of the third and top of the fourth...

Blah.

Simple, they had one of the worst chances statistically and they just won the Cup.  The Cup winner always gets the last pick so don't be too surprised.  You have no 2nd round pick due to the Vaclav Prospal trade. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 25, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Is this that silly game with the frozen water spilled all over the field and a bunch of Canadians smacking that year old hamburger all over the place?

I didn't know people still played that.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #532 on: July 25, 2005, 09:43 PM »
The downtown area for Pittsburgh isn't in terrible shape, it could just use a new arena on its uptown end...  The PNC Park/Heinz Field projects did some good for that part of the city (which is just the opposite side of the river from downtown...  Technically they really are all one thing).

They talk about just building the new arena basically beside where the old one is.  There's an old hospital and church they would knock down, and where the Igloo is there'd be parking then I guess. 

I'd like it to happen myself...  It's the oldest arena in the league, and it is showing that age, so it'd be nice.  I like new stuff when I drive down tot he city. :)

We need a nice transit system too though.  That'd help Pittsburgh just as much at this point.