Author Topic: 2004/2005 NHL Offseason  (Read 71496 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
2004/2005 NHL Offseason
« on: September 22, 2003, 02:38 PM »
With the pre-season well udner way its time to get going on this years thread and start discussing the rapidly upcoming season!  

My (new) team the Wild are set to come off a storybook year for a third year team.  

Two major problems they have right now is Gaborik and Dupuis their two leading scorers last year are both holding out.  Not a good way to start  the season :(

I look for them to do about the same as last year, make the playoffs and have a chance to win a series or two and that is about it.  I think Detroit and NJ will both be strong yet again.  I also am really intrigued to see how the Avalanche do without Roy, signing Sellane and Kariya is so tough, their Offense is unbeatable and might have to be to overcome the loss of the greatest goalie ever...Sakic-Sellane-Kariya on a line is almost unfair :-\ And then to have Forsberg-Tanguay-Hedjuk after that is criminal!
« Last Edit: December 2, 2005, 02:04 PM by Jeff »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL '03-'04
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 03:04 PM »
I think you're right Scott about Colorado but then I think to myself Aebischer?.  

Look at the playoffs last year.  Who made it far and who was in net?

Jersey - Brodeur.
Ottawa - Lalime.
Anaheim - Gigeure.

Gotta have a goalie to go far.  Sure Aebischer could pull a 'giggy', but it's sort of doubtful.  

Detroit looks good (what will they do with Cujo?).  Dallas has signed Turco, so they're set for a decent season.  Ottawa should be good again, though Havlat's negotiations are not going well and they lost Arvedson to Vancouver.  Vancouver may actually step up, but we'll see what the goaltending does out west.  

Better watch twice as many games as you usually do.  It's going to be quiet at the end of 2004.  

Scott, are you going to the all star  game?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DarthWormie

• Youngling
  • Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 11:45 AM »
Don't be surprised if Colorado goes out and picks up a veteran goalie (Burke? Khabibulin?).

As for my team of choice, The Bruins look like they're ready to stumble their way to another pathetically medicore season, finish 8th in the conference and lose to NJ or Ottawa in 5 games. Other than Thorton and Samsonov, they are devoid of talent and are run by the Three Stooges of NHL management (O'Connell, Sinden, and Jacobs) who refuse to invest dime one into the team. Once again they will have one of the lowest payrolls in the league but will finish in the top 5 again in highest ticket prices and profitability. :'(
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 11:52 PM »
Defense wins championships.  Despite all their fire power, the Avs aren't going to win unless they have a better goalie.  

My Red Wings look to be set for the year, with the best defense in the league.  Losing Fedorov wasn't good, but it won't be devastating.  If only they could do something with Cujo
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Defense always wins championships agreed, but the Avs still have some pretty good defensemen as well, its the Goalie who is a question mark and as was shown last year with Giguerre and the Wild goalies, virtual unkowns can carry you far into the playoffs

Brent...I am not planning on attending the All Star Game, might go to some of the festivities though

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2003, 09:23 AM »
Bump da da Bump Bump

Been a while since we've talked puck.  The Wild finally signed Gaborik and Dupuis and have turned things around since starting 1-6-1 and are now 5-6-2.  Nice little turn around...

Ducks are struggling as are the AVs who have a ton of injuries...haven't been paying too much attention though as it is Football season

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2003, 09:53 AM »
Oilers are now unbeaten in 4! Tie game last night against Ottawa. Now there on the road for 4 games & they play Minnesota on the 13th.  :-*

Oh, the big Heritage Classic Hockey game coming up on Nov 22, Edmonton Oilers vs. the Montreal Canadiens!  8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 09:00 AM »
Shutout! Edm 2 - Wild 0.   ;D   :-*

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 09:24 AM »
The Flyers are on a 5 game winning streak and one of only two teams unbeaten at home.  Hopefully they'll end their playoff futility of the last few years and bring back Lord Stanley's Cup to the City of Brotherly Love.

Go Broad Street Bullies!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 05:13 PM »
The STARS were set to have a great season with our record setting (lowest goals against) goalie newly signed and everything, right? Wrong! The STARS suck, their season is slipping away...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Here's some pic's I took from the Heritage Classic Hockey game.

Rink from Section C, row 61. Legends game.

Just before Oilers game.

Moved to section S, row 27.

Some fireworks after the game.

57,164 crazy Canuks. Tempature, -18.4 Celsius, windchill, -26 Celsius .

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 12:09 AM »
The STARS were set to have a great season with our record setting (lowest goals against) goalie newly signed and everything, right? Wrong! The STARS suck, their season is slipping away...

It's been an odd year for some teams.  The team I cheer for is having a similar year.  Ottawa has a sweet goalie in Lalime but his record thus far is a dismal 8-7-1, not good.  The team is languishing too.  

Colorado, for all their firepower isn't doing much either.  Wings are losing, Anaheim is sucking.  

Parity?

Dale, nice pics, you dog.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 09:02 AM »
Dale, nice pics, you dog.

;D   8)   :-*  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 06:44 PM »
Cool (pun intended) pix Dale!  Looks and sounds like you had a blast, even if you froze your cojones off!  So was that Legends game the one that Gretzky was to play in, that I first mentioned here several months ago?  Was he there?  If so, did people go crazy, or what?!

Pretty weird to see a hockey rink way out there in the middle of the ice, all by it's lonesome, with the fans so far away.  Even stranger to see it in a huge outdoor stadium.  Awesome that you got to be a part of history by attending the NHL's first ever outdoor game!  Congrats!  Now go sit your ass in a sauna for a while and dethaw...   :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 10:16 PM »
So was that Legends game the one that Gretzky was to play in, that I first mentioned here several months ago?  Was he there?  If so, did people go crazy, or what?!

Yes, Gretzky was there, infact the whole dynasty team was there.  8)

The fans went wild. Never thought I would see the day he would wear an Oiler jersey again! Wayne's daughter Paulina sung "I Will Remember You" & she sure has a voice.  8)

The game was televised around the world, did you not watch it Matt? Atleast you would have been warmer that me!  ;D